How do account-wide inventory/cargo expansions work?

CallasPA

Before spending a good chunk of money on bag space unlocks, I am hoping to get clarification on the functionality.

If I purchase an account-wide Inventory upgrade, will any new characters begin with 40 slots instead of 30?

If I purchase an account-wide Inventory upgrade, will it take the place of the cheapest row or the most expensive row? Example: given an existing character with no expansions purchased, and I buy an account-wide inventory expansion, would that character have to pay 175k credits to unlock the remaining rows (5k + 20k + 50k + 100k) or would they have to pay 370k credits (20k + 50k + 100k + 200k)?

I have essentially the same questions about the Cargo Bay expansions, but I expect that the answers will be identical.

Thanks to anyone who can clear up how these unlocks work!

It takes the spot of the one you have open.For example I got 2 toons one with 1 slot unlocked already,1 with no slots open.If I use the consumable it opens one slot on each toon no matter what, and from what I can see the one that gets the first unlock still pays 20k for the one after.And you can only unlock to the maximum. Edited by grombrinda
My typing is bad today >.<

Just tested this by creating a new character. I started with 5 inventory rows instead of 3 rows so the account unlock definitely applies to new characters. The price per row remains the same. So it fills up the first available rows and the more expensive ones remain unlocked. I'm assuming all this is the same on the cargo hold but don't have access yet to a cargo hold on the new character to test that.

Honestly, I've never had a problem affording inventory upgrades. I can usually get the first one by the time I'm done with the origin world, then I can have the second-to-last one by the time I ding 50. Usually, by the time I'm done on Corellia, I have all the upgrades.

Cargo space is much more expensive (understandably), and it does make sense to buy the cheaper unlocks on your characters with credits before you buy the more expensive ones with cartel coins. The level requirement on those upgrades makes that hard to do, though, so I just figure I'll buy 4 cargo upgrades and I'll never have to deal with that again. Sure, four of my characters will be out 40k each, but that's nothing. Bonus to this plan? The purchased upgrades ignore the level requirement for unlocks, so new characters will all have full cargo space. It's nice.

But, yes, if you're a free or preferred member, then it does make sense to buy with credits before you buy on the cartel market.