An in-depth look at: The Teachings of Odan-Urr- Code of Conduct

Aurbere

"Odan-Urr, you would be content to spend your entire life in the company of scrolls and documents... but a Jedi Knight has other responsibilities, other duties."- Jedi Master Ooroo

In addition to his revision of the Jedi Code, Master Odan-Urr made several additions to the Code of Conduct for the Jedi Order, as well as revising a few rules. These teachings include the following:

Practicing discretion

One of the many rules of the Jedi Order was that a Jedi should never lie or manipulate, even for the greater good. Odan-Urr found this rule nonsense and changed it. Odan-Urr taught his students that acting deceptively should not be frowned upon, so long as the Jedi had righteous aims. He also warned against making lying a habit, saying to only act deceptively when the act was justifiable.

Satisfying curiosity

Generally, a Jedi using his power to invade the mind of another was frowned upon by the Jedi Order. Odan-Urr believed that, if a Jedi must invade an individuals mind, that it should only be to satisfy the curiosity of The Will of The Force. He also taught that invading the mind of another should only be done in moderation.

Honor the Jedi Order

Master Odan-Urr believed that the actions of a single Jedi could marr the reputation of the Order as a whole in the eyes of the people. That if a single Jedi should act out of line, the people will view that Jedi as an example of how the whole Jedi Order behaves, taking several examples from good-minded Jedi to change their views. Thus he taught his students to Honor the Jedi Order, and always act in a respectful and dignified way.

Bravery in battle

Many Jedi believe that bravery was the opposite of fear, that by being brave in battle allowed them to cast away their fears. Odan-Urr did not share the same view. He believed that bravery proves nothing. Odan-Urr taught that bravery did not purge fears from the Jedi. He taught that a Jedi must purge their fears before entering battle, that bravery in battle was false if they did not remove the fear of pain, suffering, and death from their minds. He taught that a Jedi should not act in what seemed to be the most brave way, but how The Force saw fit.

The Lightsaber

The symbol of the Jedi Order, the Lightsaber was a powerful tool for the Jedi. But it was often used to intimidate others. The blade of pure energy could cut through almost any material, and some Jedi used the fear of a lost limb to intimidate people. Odan-Urr believed that a Lightsaber should not be used for such purposes, that it should only be used to end a battle as quickly as possible. He taught that if a Jedi is not prepared to use the Lightsaber to kill, that it should remain at the Jedi's side.

Learning skills

While The Force can be used for many things, Odan-Urr believed that a Jedi should learn skills outside of Force abilities. He believed that a Jedi could learn much from other skills such as piloting. He believed that a Jedi should not solely rely on The Force, that a Jedi should learn other skills. He believed that a Jedi should develop their skills in other areas, that these skills could help the Jedi serve the galaxy better.

These teachings, along with his revision of the Jedi Code, would be preserved and followed by the Jedi Order up until it's defeat at the end of the Clone Wars. Odan-Urr's work made him one of the most influential Jedi of all time.

Have a topic? Post it below, in the Index, or PM me! :)

What authority did Odan-Urr have to alter the rules and codes of the Jedi Order? Was he like a Grand Master or something, just curious.

No, he wasn't Grand Master, but he was a highly respected Jedi Master. He was the wisest among them.

And I didn't see them reject his revisions. It's not like he just came in and started making demands. He presented these teachings to the Jedi Masters and they accepted them. He didn't just say "This is how we do things from now on!"

I actually don't know who was Grand Master during Odan-Urr's lifetime. It probably wasn't Odan-Urr as he spent most of his time in the Great Library.

Edit: In fact, many of these teachings came from Odan-Urr's deep discussions with his fellow Masters. I would assume that he held a rank similar to Master of the Order, as he was one of the most revered Masters of his time.

Edited by Aurbere

No, he wasn't Grand Master, but he was a highly respected Jedi Master. He was the wisest among them.

And I didn't see them reject his revisions. It's not like he just came in and started making demands. He presented these teachings to the Jedi Masters and they accepted them. He didn't just say "This is how we do things from now on!"

I actually don't know who was Grand Master during Odan-Urr's lifetime. It probably wasn't Odan-Urr as he spent most of his time in the Great Library.

Edit: In fact, many of these teachings came from Odan-Urr's deep discussions with his fellow Masters. I would assume that he held a rank similar to Master of the Order, as he was one of the most revered Masters of his time.

Interesting, that makes sense.

I love your writing. Very informative. Always have to love dedicated people on the Forums!

--Your friend from Jung Ma,

Jaceiy/Laokeui.

Well thanks for the compliment! :D Aurbere's the name, information's the game! :)

Unfortunately, I'm not on Jung Ma. But greetings from Burger King Colony! :)

Great read, your my new favorite poster here! I would love to see one on the Sith, and maybe even the evolution of star ship designs in the old republic era (you could do one of the Sth and one on the Republic), food for thought!

Anywhos great work!

Great read, your my new favorite poster here! I would love to see one on the Sith, and maybe even the evolution of star ship designs in the old republic era (you could do one of the Sth and one on the Republic), food for thought!

Anywhos great work!

Well, thanks! :)

And I'll keep those suggestions in mind.