Smuggler Story. Snoozefest.

Cybridwarform

I just finished chapter one and i must say i am rather bored ******** with this story. They all follow the same bland trend.

go here,

get disappointed.

follow up here.

get turned down.

follow up here.

directed somewhere else.

Will this sotry change in the later chapters? If this continues i think ill just continue with my agent instead. From what ive heard the agent storyline is actually witty and etertaining. So far i rolled agent last night and i am in love with the story. I didn't even notice i was level 10 by the time i had to pass out for work and i want to rush back home to find out more. -I love my smuggler but sadly not so much his story.

I have yet to actually "smuggle" anything... -.-; Seems i spend 1-17 getting my ship, 7-30 gearing it out for some crazy mission, and 30-33 i get disapointed at how easy it was to kill the vault boss but returning to kill the tool who stole my ship originally gave me great satisfaction. I also cheered as it ended the most boring quest line ive done in my gaming history. I was still waiting for the "go out and kill 60 bears" and then 160 zebras, return to nessingwary just to find out i needed to do animalggedon where i would kill 300 wild donkeys.

I think the Agent story starts out strong but it gets progressively worse because it's like they used up all the awesome characters by chapter 1, after that you're just fighting gimpier versions of guys you've already defeated (in terms of story).

I was still waiting for the "go out and kill 60 bears" and then 160 zebras, return to nessingwary just to find out i needed to do animalggedon where i would kill 300 wild donkeys.

Ouch! But I laughed. A lot. Freaking Nesingwary.

The Smuggler's story actually gets weaker after Act 1, I think. A lot less personal motivation - Act 1's antagonist is a very good antagonist - and even higher levels of "Why am I doing this again?" followed by "Why am I now stopping smugglers instead of smuggling?"

The smuggler gets swatted down everywhere because it's a basically comedic story of misadventures. If you don't love the NPCs and the snarky dialogue in general, there's not much else to the class.

I can echo all recommendations for the Agent, though. I found Act 1 less than thrilling apart from Dromund Kaas, to be honest, but it made up for it later.

Personaly I loved act three. I went dark side and although I agree my responces got a little repetitive, we do have the best one liners in game. I loved the ending to my story more than anything, and I can't wait to find out how my decisions effected things.

I am sorry but getting to spend my time gathering up people and basically become a crime lord. That was so cool. I always chose the story option to make people turn and work for me instead of the republic or the bad guy they were previously working with. Although I will say, I expected to see more creds in the mail for my endevours. After all, I had this big smuggling operation and I didn't get to see the wealth. Over all I was completely engaged in my story and I loved it.

I think if you go dark side you feel more smuggler like. But that is just my opinion. I enjoyed playing a greedy little ***** who was motivated only by a large stack of credits, and revenge. My girl was never very forgiving.

Edited by Renita

Some very amusing lines, but it's the weakest of the campaigns I've played so far. Even ignoring the issues with overall plotline it just doesn't fit with what's going on in the nonclass quests and the character in general. There's not really any particularly sensible motivation or reasoning for why the republic military seems to trust some random civilian an awful lot in the general quests etc.

I played my agent sniper and i am hooked on the story, my ship looks AMAZING, and my only cmplaint is how unfullfilling my attacks look like compared to the smuggler but i can live with 1 badside.

My main was my 32 slinger but now my agent is slowly advancing to level30 and i can't wait to continue the agent storyline. There is tons of motivation to level and keep finding out whats going on.

My only real regret is that i was looking to playing pub side to have more PVP targets in the field. I wish i could swap to pubside and still have an amazing storyline / ship / companions. -Seems like pub side got shafted.

As far as the pubs trusting 1 man, well, sometimes desperate measures are needed. The smuggler storyline would have been much better if u walked the fine line between both imperial and pub sides. Getting on each others nerves and making friends / enemies along the way. After all that is the poin of a smuggler, To get things taken behind enemy lines.

Really didn't like the Smuggler story at all. I really dislike all the companions (bar Corso ((shock horror)) and Guss). It really felt to me that all the responses didn't even fit in with what was going on. Like they just pulled stock responses at random.

As many agree, the agent storyline is vastly superior...it really grabs you from the start.

People say it's boring, but I did enjoy the Consular storyline, and found it was far more enjoyable than the smuggler.

I finished Act 1 last night. It was the most boring act ever. I am really hoping act 2 gets better(the start already has, at least).

Why is it that only the Bounty Hunter seems to have a strong act 1? Other classes have fantastic act 2 and 3(Imperial Agent comes to mind), but only the BH(in my experience) had an Act 1 that was great.

Well I only got to the end of Act 1, and it was repetitive, but when you get to kill Skavak, it made it all worth it. Never got to Act 2, but I feel like the "Epicness" of the story was gone, since Act 1 made me feel like a Smuggler should-Going for the Riches and the Girls! Act 2 just seemed to be missions, which seem kinda boring. I'm contemplating replaying it, simply because I am currently in Republic mode...Os Act 2 and 3 any better? Because what I've heard here doesn't suggest it.

• 4 months later...
Guss is what made the story for me, i was rly starting to lose interest in chapter 2 until i got to Hoth...the story is rly good there, and the way u get Guss is also very funny and well played, highly enjoyable.....belsavis and Voss tho.....worst part of the smuggler story line.

I can see why people find it underwhelming compared to the epic 'Save the world' thing you have going on with the Jedi Knight or the 'become the most powerful being in the galaxy' thing the Sith classes have. But again it makes up for it with the witty dialogue and the humour, which no other class comes close to. My main was an Agent and the storyline for that was incredible - drama, betrayal, the underdog taking on the hierachy. But my smuggler was refreshing in comparison because of its laid-back and comical nature.

TL;DR - if you want an epic 'Star Wars' story you're better off playing a Jedi/Sith class. If you want a bit of humour and charm in your story then the Smuggler one is perfect.

Edited by ZakMorgan

Though I'm not the original poster, I'd still like to say thanks to everyone because this thread's given me something to think about because, from what I've read here, I can't wait to hop onto my smuggy and finally try her out.

I mean, I rolled her a while back and got her to something like lvl 8 before losing interest and went onto completing many of the other plots. I'm thinking now it was probably because I just wasn't in the mood. But, lately, with my Consular nearing the end of Act III and new content a month away, I've been at a bit of a loss as to what to roll next.

Reading through this thread though? I'm beginning to suspect that the Smuggler story-line was specifically written for times like this: I mean, I have saved and/or conquered the galaxy more times in a row than I can count right now and frankly, while I do want to play more SWTOR (the game's still fun to play)- even the plots I love are starting to make me feel a little blah. So, I think that some random snark with absolutely no rhyme or reason to it could be just the ticket. You know, like that completely worthless comedy you watch between dramas in order to give yourself a bit of a break.

So, here's to hoping that the impression that I've gained is even half as accurate as I hope that it is and, thanks to everyone. :D

Reading through this thread though? I'm beginning to suspect that the Smuggler story-line was specifically written for times like this: I mean, I have saved and/or conquered the galaxy more times in a row than I can count right now and frankly, while I do want to play more SWTOR (the game's still fun to play)- even the plots I love are starting to make me feel a little blah. So, I think that some random snark with absolutely no rhyme or reason to it could be just the ticket. You know, like that completely worthless comedy you watch between dramas in order to give yourself a bit of a break.

Bingo.

Its a refreshing change from all the superlative Jedi/Sith cliches about saving the world or being the most feared being in the galaxy. One of the great things about it is that it actually makes fun of Jedi/Sith/Republic/Imps etc...the comic relief is actually brilliant but you're forced into serious situations.

Thats not to say its not an epic story. It does get pretty epic towards the end of Act 2 and in Act 3 - not 'save the galaxy' epic, but memorable nonetheless. (Certainly more so than the tedious Consular story)

• 2 weeks later...

People keep going on about the Agent storyline but I hate the fact that you are forced to suck up to a bloody Sith Lord, I don't care if you're an Imperial and that's what you like to do but this fact of the Agent storyline made me not want to play it any further >.>.

I wanted to help Keeper, Keeper's cool. The sith lord is not.

Although at the end of the Smuggler storyline you're sort of not allowed to ask any questions. Someone "betrays" you and you're not allowed to go, "Whoah, slow down, what exactly is going on here? Are you sure? It's easy as pie to forge a holotransmitter, how do I know this isn't fixed?"

But no, you're forced to plow ahead blindly listening to what other people tell you.

IMO both storylines are disappointments :<.

I'm currently at Hoth with my smuggler and I've thought the story has been ok to pretty entertaining so far. However in my humble opinion, I think the smuggler's storyline is one of those deals in which the PC really makes the story shine more than the actual story itself. Whether thats by design or not, I'm not sure but that's how I see it.

I've just fell in love with my smuggler's character and it's really the reason why I've played mine so much lately (that and gunslinger's are fun). :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Having played through the smuggler story, I have to agree. It leaves a lot to be desired, and it didn't make me feel like a smuggler at all.

With the exception of Akaavi Spar, I didn't care much for the companions either. Enough has been said about how annoying Corso is, so I won't go there, but Blowdaar was probably the one that made me scratch my head the most. He has almost no personality and is a very bland character. Why is he in the story? Oh, right, we need a sasquatch, 'cause Han Solo.

And the so-called treasure hunt was incredibly anti-climactic

The only thing I really liked about the smuggler story was Akaavi. The whole storyline and romance was very engaging and she left a very deep impression on me. I also enjoyed the all-too brief encounter with Vaverone Zare on Tatooine.

I'm also grateful for the choice of voice-actor. The guy did a phenomenal job and really immersed me into my character. I also thought the delivery was hilarious and most of the lines were well-written.

Edited by kifa

the smuggler storyline remains my favorite so far. my very first toon was a smuggler, and i still love her to death even after having played through most of the other class stories. i liked it so much, i made a second smuggler to play through the story again. so now i have a lvl 50 gunslinger, a lvl 50 scoundrel, and i'm making a third smuggler when Cathar finally comes out.

i think a big part of why i like the smuggler story is due to the dialogue choices (i swear, smugglers have the best lines) and the female smuggler's voice acting. i freaking love her voice. the male's voice is ok and he does come off as a ladies man, but he sounds like a deadbeat compared to the female. she's way more excitable and snarky.

The whole "smuggler story" archetype is all about being down on your luck! Hence the "going here, getting turned down, repeat" part. Wasn't Han pretty down on his luck at the beginning of the OT?

I haven't played agent through yet, but regardless, I rank the smuggler story highly. Maybe I just care about good 1-liners more than I do the overall arcs, but I enjoyed myself. Especially acts 1 and 3.

Edited by Stenrik

I'm almost to the end of chapter 1, I'm just kinda rolling with my smuggler. I actually find some of the writing to be a bit incoherent. Often I'd just forget what I was even supposed to be doing, who was related to who why, etc., as I went through the class missions. That's kind of basic failure of writing, and as I experienced this multiple times, there's obviously some shortcomings.

Although just liking your character is a big aspect of "story" in this. Like the Jedi story was "good" insofar as it has twists and turns, but I couldn't stand watching my Jedis in dialogue exchanges, since they're humorless bores, and the way the story is structured in this doesn't help. I'm not saying the smuggler is *that* appealing, but it is a big factor.

The story probably felt weirdest when the Republic entrusted me to oust the king of Alderaan. Just makes least-sense as a smuggler. And then my smuggler is still chipper and "snarky" as she's gunning down Sith Lords like nothing.