You stealth-changed the "hurt sounds".

NogueiraA

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I would have to say it had definitely gotten a bit excessive. Not sure why it was amplified as it was, but IMO that is not the way to improve combat in the game.

Restore the changes made to animations for PVPs sake....that would go a LONG way IMO toward improving the flow and appearance of combat in this game.

It's not just how they sound, but how often they make those sounds. It used to be that your character didn't make hurt sounds unless they got crit hardcore. Now it's like if you throw a pebble at my warrior, he's got unbearable diarrhea.

There was a short time before this, where I think some classes(at least the male trooper) were making the hurt sounds that NPC enemies normally make. I know this because I heard them when fighting nothing but animal mobs.

Former way...

hit [silent] hit [silent] hit [silent] hit [silent] crit [arrgh]

Current way...

hit [arrgh] hit [ugh] hit [oof] hit [ack]

IMO its almost as funny as watching mobs fly away before I knock them back. That's the most amusing and foolish change IMO...looks like a bad stunt move from a B rate martial arts movie.

I would assume that either this is a bug or someone is hitting themselves in the head with a brick again.

That's like when they changed Slinger's guns sound from "BANG BANG BANG" to "pew pew pew"....I still miss my gunz sound.

They changed them to derive from the gun's sounds themselves. But, to be honest, I still haven't found the gun I like the sound of, and old sounds, I did like better as well.

I love the new combat vocalizations. As someone said in another thread:

...getting more of that kind of stuff is really good, makes my characters more "real".

Especially in this game, where each class has a different voice, it adds more variety to all my alts, and adds to the distinctiveness of each.

But it makes me a bit apprehensive that there was no patch note or fanfare for such a cool addition...as if they're not particularly proud of it (though they should be) and it might get suddenly removed with just as little notice.

I would like some voices like "for the republic", "die jedi!", "I have the force". :D

Yeah, some battle cries along the lines of the classic KotOR "The Force fights with me!", "Down you go!" and of course, "Just...DIE, already!" would be sweet. Both for companions and player characters.

So yeah, I don't find them the least bit excessive myself. But, I'd support a toggle for people who'd rather turn them off.

Yeah, some battle cries along the lines of the classic KotOR "The Force fights with me!", "Down you go!" and of course, "Just...DIE, already!" would be sweet. Both for companions and player characters.

Companions already have battle cries, like "Feel my Force!", "You're going down!", "Hah! I gotcha!", "Now you're dumb, ugly, and dead!", etc. But a character being able to have a battle cry (maybe one time per battle, only when you initiate the fight) would be awesome. Especially if they were distinct–troopers had "For the Republic!" or "Havoc Squad! Attack!" or something; Jedi had "For the Jedi!" and "The Force fights with me!" as a Bastila throwback, and so on.

Companions already have battle cries,

Oh yeah, that's true.

But a character being able to have a battle cry (maybe one time per battle, only when you initiate the fight) would be awesome. Especially if they were distinct–

Yeah, definitely. Personally I'd prefer a bit more randomness than just the start of the fight, and maybe they'd fire more than once during long fights, or not at all sometimes.

But yeah, since there would be the different actor for each class anyway, class-specific lines would be the way to go.

• Dev Post

Hi there folks!

We're interested in getting some additional information about the changes you're referring to with regards to sound effects in combat. If you've noticed this, please post here to tell us as much of the following as possible:

- Which planet or area are you in when you notice the sound changes?

- What enemies are you in combat with?

- Does this occur in PvP as well as PvE?

- Is your experience similar to or different than what LordArtemis describes below?

Former way...

hit [silent] hit [silent] hit [silent] hit [silent] crit [arrgh]

Current way...

hit [arrgh] hit [ugh] hit [oof] hit [ack]

We appreciate your info, and we'll post a follow up for you when there's some definitive information around what's going on here.

Edited by AmberGreen

so this was not intentional? I wondered.

I cannot vouch for other areas, as I've been hanging out on Oricon recently, other than operations and flashpoints (in which I'm often too distracted to pay attention to pain sounds) but on Oricon its kinda disturbing.

mainly noticed it on my jugg, though that's probably because on my other 55ves - companion is the one getting hit majority of the time

so this was not intentional?

Apparently not...I was afraid of that. Seems like that's pretty good grounds to think it'll be removed, and it was my favorite new thing in a while. I still hope they'll add an option for it...

- Which planet or area are you in when you notice the sound changes?

- What enemies are you in combat with?

- Does this occur in PvP as well as PvE?

- Is your experience similar to or different than what LordArtemis describes below?

- Planet: Taris on the Republic side, Balmorra on the Imperial side. (And those are the only planets I've been on since 2.4.)

- Enemies: All, as far as I can tell.

- I don't PvP, so I'm not sure about there.

- My experience is different from what LordArtemis described in a couple respects:

-- Before 2.4, I never noticed the combat vocalizations. Not rarely, not only for critical hits, but never.

-- Currently, it doesn't seem like they happen with EVERY hit. Maybe 1/3 - 1/2 the time.

Oh well, I guess I'll enjoy them while they last...but it would be cool to have them stay as an option at least.

I have definitely noticed combat sounds sounds being changed, in almost every case, though I'd have to go back and really pay attention today to what I'm actually hearing.

I've always noticed combat sounds in the past, though, and in my experience it's always been more often than just crits, so I wouldn't be surprised if people has kind of started to block sounds out, but once they changed, they started noticing them again.

Planet: Belsavis (Imperial), playing as my female Chiss Agent.

Scenario: All combat.

Nature: Just as Artemis said. Virtually every time I'm hit, I'm grunting and groaning.

Edited by Umwak
Said Balmorra but meant Belsavis.

I've noticed an increase in character ouches, but my companions seem to have even more sensitivity to pain recently and exclaim more often when hit, particularly Talos and Elara (although these are the main ones I've been using recently, it may occur in others).

Speaking of companions, Yuun doesn't seem to be saying anything in combat anymore- I can hear his voice but nothing in chat. And as he doesn't speak Basic, I've got no idea what he is or isn't saying. Has anyone else noticed this?

Hi there folks!

We're interested in getting some additional information about the changes you're referring to with regards to sound effects in combat. If you've noticed this, please post here to tell us as much of the following as possible:

- Which planet or area are you in when you notice the sound changes? Pretty much everywhere, but for some reason it starts annoying me around Hoth.

- What enemies are you in combat with? All

- Does this occur in PvP as well as PvE? Sorry, don't PvP. :(

Exactly as LordAremis describes. It's like the "Batman" TV series.