Why people solo when they can group?

internaty

Why people solo in a mmo period?

After all if you want to play alone play a singeplayer game.

I am awaiting your responses.

A common misconception.

MMO is so much more than grouping together to overcome content. MMO is economy, MMO is community, MMO is playing against others as much as playing with them. MMO is competition as well as cooperation. But above all, MMO is freedom of choice.

On some characters, I only grouped once or twice in total, yet I wasn't playing a singleplayer game. I was most certainly playing an MMO. I crafted, bought, sold, bought low and sold high, I ganked players in the open world, got my own arse handed to me when I got caught with my pants down. I had good times chatting in /1. Can I do all this in a single player game? Nope. This is, most definitely, an MMO experience.

Edited by Helig

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A common misconception.

MMO is so much more than grouping together to overcome content. MMO is economy, MMO is community, MMO is playing against others as much as playing with them. MMO is competition as well as cooperation. But above all, MMO is freedom of choice.

On some characters, I only grouped once or twice in total, yet I wasn't playing a singleplayer game. I was most certainly playing an MMO. I crafted, bought, sold, bought low and sold high, I ganked players in the open world, got my own arse handed to me when I got caught with my pants down. I had good times chatting in /1. Can I do all this in a single player game? Nope. This is, most definitely, an MMO experience.

That is a good point.

Hm meaby i shoud join a pvp server.

There is something thrilling of rolling a stealth class following a enemy player until his "pants" are down then kill him:D

Thanks for clearing that up.

Btw crafting is possibol in skyrim but the rest not really.

That is a good point.

Hm meaby i shoud join a pvp server.

There is something thrilling of rolling a stealth class following a enemy player until his "pants" are down then kill him:D

Thanks for clearing that up.

Btw crafting is possibol in skyrim but the rest not really.

Well, SWToR quest zone architecture doesn't really encourage open world, because in the majority of cases, factions quest in different areas and don't really venture into eachother's territory, unless they really intend to.

As for economy, granted, there are games with an NPC-driven economy. But it is, by definition, never as rich and interesting as player-driven economy.

TBH, I wish it was a single-player game with like a group opt-in queue if you wanted to do heroics or FPs or PvP in grouped content. I don't need other people to enjoy this game, it's Star Wars, that's why I play it. I could not care less that it's an MMO.

My question back to you is, why do you act like you care what I do or why I do it so much? I don't care what you do or who you do it with, so why is it that all you "but it's an MMO, waaaahhh" types care if I don't want to play it with you?

Edited by bahdasz

I have to admit I'm totally guilty of this myself. Keep in mind there are a bunch of pvp'ers (like myself) that are only doing the pve until the Que pops, then I'm gone. I would find it a bit inconsiderate to group with you only to leave in a min or two. I felt a bit rude to decline without explanation, so I used to explain this but I got to the point where it became an annoyance so I now have group requests set to auto-decline. Though I don't ninja, which is rare as most probably know already, so I don't mind waiting for the node to respawn or whatever. I usually yield to others knowing that I'll probably be in a WZ in a few anyway.

If someone is asking in general chat for help with a quest/beating a boss/whatever, that's a different story and I have whispered to those people that I would help them out if they hadn't found anyone yet. Most of the time you won't get any XP for grouping with me either though because my pve quests are usually grey from being over leveled.

. . . . .

Wich bring's me too a other question:

And why should it matter to us whether you care if people solo or group? It's an individual choice, not your's to decide.

Why do people group when they can solo?

And while this will sound blunt, the truth is I solo because I don't need help for any planet / class mission, most H2s and even some H4s.

Also my experience shows that grouping slows me down while adding to my frustration level while proving little to no benefit, not to mention most people in a group won't speak anyways while refusing to listen or work cooperatively.

Edited by DawnAskham

And while this will sound blunt, the truth is I solo because I don't need help for any planet / class mission, most H2s and even some H4s.

Also my experience shows that grouping slows me down while adding to my frustration level while proving little to no benefit, not to mention most people in a group won't speak anyways while refusing to listen or work cooperatively.

This. I see no reason to group, especially if the reason someone is giving me is "Because it's an MMO". I found my love in MMO's - and that's soloing group instances. I'm addicted to it. Although lately the story (and the one-liners) in SWTOR is inching up the storyline aspect lol.

I enjoy playing the GTN, seeing everyone else out and about, the space missions - although they could be better in some ways, and watching the chat sometimes ... most if not all of that is not present in a single player game.

So ... in the spirit of reciprocation .. mind telling us why you're so interested in why we prefer to solo?

Edited by Akiviri

Don't forget the squabbling over loot, I hate that. I want to keep whatever drops off what I kill, not play roulette to see if I can.

Not all people in the area might do the same quest as you, OP. Some might farm mats, others might just pass by and pull mobs on accident. Some might have their class quest in the same area (for example, Consulars in Gormak Cannon area on Voss), and they are not interested in doing planetary quest at all because it's their tenth alt and they have done planetary quests to death.

And if thats random invite from out of nowhere, it's insta-decline. I remember being on a planet once, gathering mats and get invite-spammed by some person in the area. After dozen of declines I finally get a whisper with proposition to group up for the quest as this person assumed I was questing too. Which I was not doing. So, this person wasted tons of time following me around and inviting me instead of asking from the start.

Also, as for money and loot, you actually get less in a group. Yes, mobs might drop more money but those money get shared between members of the group and you still get less. And yes, the better loot might drop too, but what's the use in it if some random stranger will win the roll for that purple drop? Wouldn't you rather have green vendor trash, but solely to yourself? And also, purple things can drop for solo players too. The xp boost is neglectable. The only 'profit' is social points but not everyone is interested in them.

If someone really needs help with the quest and asks nicely (aka 'can someone help me with quest please'?' not 'c'mon ppl, this **** is not soloable!111 group me nao!'), I will group up most of the time, but as far as non-heroic questing goes, I' rather do it on my own.

Edited by PaniMauser

I never accept an invite of any kind unless there is some kind of communication beforehand.

Ugh. That's one of my peeves. I start typing "what's the plan-" then they just charge in and I end up finishing "-oh." or similar and hope we don't get destroyed.

Some random groupings have been better. Much better. Don't have to be completely verbose, since text chat is limited by typing ability, but saying something like "ready?" or similar and start when everyone says "okay" can be helpful.

So ... in the spirit of reciprocation .. mind telling us why you're so interested in why we prefer to solo?

Understanding:

I like to understand people.

Wich is part of the reson i am grouping.

To me playing by yourself seemed pointless, wastefull and stupid but some comments here made me understand.

And ofcourse i ignore the trolls who attack me.

Understanding:

I like to understand people.

Wich is part of the reson i am grouping.

To me playing by yourself seemed pointless, wastefull and stupid but some comments here made me understand.

And ofcourse i ignore the trolls who attack me.

Beware. When you stare into the Abyss, the Abyss stares into you...

Nice one :D

It is a good thing the abyss is scared ******** of me then :p

Then you simply haven't seen what I've seen. To preserve my sanity, I had to resort to methods truly twisted. Like watching My Little Pony. Pink fluff and giggles help me deal with burning hatred towards humanity and effectively block any murderous urges which may or may not arise from time to time.

Marauder is good rage therapy, too, when it comes to PvP.:D

only group for heroics and flashpoints which I actually love to do on all planets, but never for normal quests or class quests makes things too easy and boring

This^^^ 10x this. I can speed through solo and class content quickly enough as it is. Also these are the only things people actually want to group with while leveling. You want to group planet and story line content I suggest you get a static group.

Well I find blind invites to be a bit impolite.

That aside, I feel it is because so many players have experienced what I have from accepting blind invites to groups.

*Accept blind invite.*-thinking it was from a player in the same zone who wanted to grind though 'kill x' quests faster.

"I needz help with boss."

"Okay where....hurm it says you are on Korriban, and that you are level 4?"

(I am level 50 and on Illum.)

"Don't you have a ship? Come help me plz This boss is too hard!!!"

"Um I am in the middle of a quest can you give me 5 minutes to turn it in and then I'll fly to you?"

"You suck! I need helpz now?!" *more expletives*

*accept blind invite from a Trooper just as I finish soling a boss*

Awesome a purple lightsaber hilt my main need drops!

*Trooper needs hilt* then quits group.

*Accept invite from player who has been spamming general for a specific Heroic*

"Okay I am on my way to the instance entrance."

*arrive, no one else there.* hurm am I in the wrong world map? No...

"Hello folks! I am at the entrance, what's your ETA?"

*kicked from group*

*receive apology from another member of the group* "Yeah he was queued for a warzone and changed his mind."

*accept invite from group asking for healer/tank/etc...*

*each player heads in a different direction and pulls an elite group at the same time.*

*group wipes* OR I save the entire group and die myself.

"Hey you n00b! You suck at healing/tanking. L2P."

Best examples of poor grouping etiquette is on world bosses. A few PUG Ops and you gain an aversion to groups pretty darn quick.

And yet after this I still accept blind invites. :). Trying to believe the best of ppl.

Then you simply haven't seen what I've seen. To preserve my sanity, I had to resort to methods truly twisted. Like watching My Little Pony. Pink fluff and giggles help me deal with burning hatred towards humanity and effectively block any murderous urges which may or may not arise from time to time.

Marauder is good rage therapy, too, when it comes to PvP.:D

Sounds familer.

Execpt i gave up on my sanity a long time ago.

And yet after this I still accept blind invites. :). Trying to believe the best of ppl.

Same.

I have to believe some people are good or lose what little remains of my hope for humanity.

Most of the invites I get are without people bothering to ask me first so I ignore them anyway.

95% of the times I don't group because I know I have to go AFK often so solo-ing stuff and standing being pretty AFK many times won't annoy anyone else if I keep on going solo.

Try whispering them first. Most people are put off by an invite that has no message attached to it and may not realize it's coming from the person in the same area as them (I've gotten invites from planets away for no reason at all).

SO much this. Having played a healer and tank for years in WoW (even before the group finder), I would be minding my own business and then just randomly be invited to a group because someone needed a healer or tank for an instance in that zone or a nearby one. Sometimes from people on another continent for an instance 30 levels lower than me.

As other people have also noted, I constantly keep my characters and companions geared out in purples as I level and plow through all of the missions, even most of the heroic ones. I don't like feeling weighed down when someone who has just started the quest randomly throws an invite when I have 2 more mobs to kill without even saying what the invite is for. I could be ready to leave the area in 30 seconds. Are you going to be done that quickly? Are you going to expect to be strolled through a bunch of other missions which I've already completed? Are you someone who sees how efficient I am at clearing out an area and is just looking to be carried through?

And as much as I hate to say it, I'm jaded when it comes to open world missions at the level cap. As someone else mentioned, running your missions at level 50 (come to think of it, in any areas after the starting planets) in this game is generally not a nice experience. People will trail you in stealth and wait for you to engage the mobs next to a quest objective you have to click, which can take 5 minutes to respawn and then vanish again and run away. Roundabout when you are after a chest, or rare spawn mob. On the Empire side, ask for help with the heroic 2 on Ilum, and get met with silence. Go and start soloing it, and before you know it, someone has jacked the spawn point to bring out the Jedi which you just spent 5 minutes clearing to without saying a word or offering an invite.