Why people solo when they can group?

internaty

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly think most of the people that blind invite me would not be very happy trying to keep up at my pace or dealing with me after the first time they did something stupid. In that way you could say I'm being considerate to them when I decline.... from a certain point of view. Edited by bahdasz

I tell u why some people solo then group.

1. You can spend hours trying to get a group together, til this vary day i've still have not been in a team rank for war zone, do to the fact i cant get 8 people or how many u need to team group in rank, from the time it had started till now. So i have stopped trying and the sad thing is that is in public and in 2 different guilds now ive been in, that i just cant seem to get people to group for team ranking.

2. With group finder is you get people that if u ACCIDENTLY grab a loot item u do not need they do not care about if it was an accident or not or if you ever do it again or not, just one time is to many so they boot u. And if its not that reason, if you have a better plan then some one else for getting a boss, they dont like being showed up, although thats NOT your INTENTION, they still get their feather ruffled and they get the rest to go along with them and kick you from group.

3. If the leader feels like your not geared enough they kick you and all because your health isnt as high as theirs they have a little over 20k worth of health i almost 19k but thats not good enough, so they kick ya, and who makes one leader of a group any way?

So thats 3 MAJOR reasons why MY FLASH POINT and MY OPERATION CAREER has only seen. Boarding party, the Foundry, and The Infinite Empire or is it the false Empire? I cant remember, any way those are the ones i manage to have good understanding people in all the other times the people just do not care, and are kick happy.

SO THAT WHY I SOLO unfortunately you just cant solo them all by your self and so to this day from prerelease of this game till now those are the only FP and OPS ive seen or played. SAD HUH?

I can only think of one reason why I won't group with others.

Well before I get into that, if you're sending me a blind invite without the common courtesy of telling me why you want me to join your group then I'm going to decline without telling you why.

Now, the only reason I can think of for not wanting to group up is turning in/picking up quests takes too damn long when no one space bars through the conversations.

Last thing I want to do when Im just trying to powerlevel my 3rd 50 and burning through planet quests is to slow down so Junior can smell the flowers and have him rely on me to teach him what to do.

Edited by Sanctioned

I played solo- and group-characters all the way to 50 and I have to say, not only did I get more money and loot solo, but I also was faster at level 50 than with the group characters. Makes me think those group benefits are a lie, buggy or simply to meager.

In any case that could be part of the problem.

this, solo = faster at lvl 50 and more fun, no idiots in the grp :p

and useless thread ...

group are only good for fp or raids, or when you wanna play with friends , there is no point accept invite from stranger and play with ppl who are not known for you

Some people may call me a selfish ******e, but this is why i prefer solo'ing rather than grouping with other people for quests:

1) Speed factor and time control - its obvious that due to various reasons a group can't progress constantly and quickly, which isn't a problem when you solo. You know your real world schedule and you know how much time you can put into leveling and you won't annoy other teammates if you're in a state of emergency before pulling a final instance boss for example. There's also a problem with several missions that have LIGHT/DARK choices. Depending on the choice, there's usually a different progression of the quest and it turnes out that 3 people have to go to spot A, while you have to do something at spot B. Another thing is if you grouped with a newbie player that just started SWTOR and doesn't skip dialogues. Frustrating as hell.

2) Educational value - more of a factor for new players, but still - you gain more knowledge about your class while pushing it to the limits - which means things like soloing heroics 2/4, rare planet champions, or even world bosses. You learn exactly how to benefit from each ability which is usually harder to see when you're in a group of 4 people and they all dps. Trying different build on the way to maximize dps/heal/survivability isn't a necessity when you're in a group. A group makes it way easier to the point of spamming auto attack being more than enough (of course not exactly, but you know what i mean). This is a great method especially if you're trying out many different classes - this way you can easily compare, tell the weaknesses and strong points of each class and also understand the mechanics behind them.

When it comes to playing in group - a great experience when doing all kinds of operations. The same thing with a good premade in warzone/ranked warzone. For questing? Thanks, but no thanks. If you want to socialize with people - my best suggestion would be finding a good guild.

Edited by Texnolyze

I played solo- and group-characters all the way to 50 and I have to say, not only did I get more money and loot solo, but I also was faster at level 50 than with the group characters. Makes me think those group benefits are a lie, buggy or simply to meager.

In any case that could be part of the problem.

Yeah I striongly agree here, I have done a heroic 2+ before solo handed it in and got about 17k xp I think on Balmorra and was getting about 480-580 xp from the Elites I killed inside the phase...logged out after that logging in the day after when it reset and went to do the HC again for the extra xp and comms.

I grouped up with someone who asked me and I have to say.. Elites I was getting about 200-300xp per kill and roughly picked up the same from quest hand in as that ones set whether your in a group or solo, and loot and credit wise.. really got nothing conpared to doing it solo

I also agree with a previous poster, if anyone sends me a group inv without even a whisper of "Hello" I instantly decline...I guess its preference really, I mean I prefer to solo level beause I dont just do the simple planet/class quests.. I explore as much as I can and go XP farming with all the mobs over and over, and when it does come to phases.. if im levelling and need the xp ill clear the room.. not leave mobs standing around to sneak past

All in all.. unsure whether its bugged or again its minimal, but Group levelling is really only there for friends who like to do stuff together as teh rewars are just not really there.. its just one sof those things BW say to encourage player interaction even though everything can be done solo at best

Have to agree with this. If a group invite suddenly obscures my view of what I'm doing without being PRECEDED by pink text in my chat window from that person, I will admit to feeling a brief stab of boiling fury followed by annoyance at myself for overreacting :)

Always ask before inviting.

Exactly. I often offer help in response to a general chat request, but random invites? That's a good way tt.o get the silent treatment,

Solo faster for me. I know all the fights, the areas, the bonus' just easier to run it alone then take a chance on pulling someone else along. If I wanna group I will advertise it, or if someone asks me to help I usually do but not just randomly.

Also, mid-late game I usually greatly out-level the content so anyone I group with would get reduced exp because of me...

Edited by Athena-Nike

I play in character and see all the missions as part of my character's life and experiences, so I like to be able to make those decisions based on his/her beliefs most of the time, rather than a roll of the dice. I occasionally group for sidequests, but generally with those I rp with or in my guild. I DO group randomly for heroics and if someone asks to group for those will generally agree, but as others have noted, not if people don't whisper to me first. My assumption on getting an invite with no communication is that the person isn't very good at communicating, which tends to make for a poor group play experience, or that they're randomly looking for help with something which may not even be on the same planet.

This really bug's mo.

When i am in a area questing and i see someone doing the EXACT same quest i useall invite them.

It offer's both of us extra xp and we dont fight over mobs.

But 90% of the time i get diclined.

Why?

Even if your not interested in turning in the quest togather grouping at the very least allow for mob sharing.

So explain to me why people outright refuse to group for a couple of min get the rewards then leave:S

It just doesnt make sense.

Aside from the obvious if I'm out questing and Darth/Master [insert stupid name] sends me a invite out of the blue i will reject it.

I solo while questing because I like playing at my own pace. I get interrupted a lot, so I don't want to feel guilty stepping away for a few minutes. Also, I like to get lost in my own little world when playing. Having to interact with others is not top on my priority list.

Also, just because the game is presented in an MMO format does not mean those of us who like to play solo should go find a solo game. If this game were offered in a solo version, I'd probably play it. But, then again, I like to play healers, so when I'm in the mood to play with others, I ask guildies or use the group finder to pop into a flashpoint.

It's very narrow minded to think that just because a game offers multi-person play, everyone should play in groups.

Edited by Tadache

Solo and group has its pros and cons. Some missions are easier to perform by myself on the other hand some missions need the help of others. The only real reason i join a group is to gain social points which are needed. I never mind playing with other but i agree i can't even tell you how many times I've performed missions next to someone who has the same mission. pointless really because we could be getting social points but oh well..

The random group invites I always tend to decline. Simply because there's no greeting before hand. It's like someone just walking with you as you shop. I don't know you and you're hanging on me as if I do. Plus in other MMOs you can get random invites and someone is trying to sell you credits/gold/plat what have you.

I'll gladly group. Just say hi first. MMOs are about the community, but also the communication between it.

I'm a total noob on this game, still leveling my first characters, haven't picked a main, highest character is 25. I accepted some blind group invites in the beginning... the person didn't even say what they wanted, just ran off somewhere else, or expected me to kill some mobs they needed, without talking or helping me with my quests. Pointless waste of time, especially when the quests are mostly easy. Sometimes I have problems with the end bosses for class quests and the like, but I just keep trying, or level some more and try again.

I prefer to play solo because people can be mean, greedy, thoughtless and exploitive. People are just nice when they think they can get something. And if you do manage to find someone decent to play with and become friends with, eventually they move on, or something happens, and end of friendship...it's sad when that happens.

Interactions with other people just lead to misery and unhappiness in one form or another. That is why I prefer to play solo.

I play solo because I like to play at my own pace and immerse myself in the SW world, rather than running through the mission. I'm getting turned off by flashpoints -- and have never played operations -- because most players who play them are grinding for items and aren't inclined to play the story, who don't have any patience for players who don't play at that level (like me).

Solo means I get twice the loot. Unless the other person is much more overgeared than I am (which is unlikely when you keep a 6 lvl head start on your planet), I get no advantage from grouping. While there may be a minor increase in killing speed, the exp from mobs is really irrelevant in the first place.

Also, the bigger issue may simply be that the other player is in group finder and therefore unable to group. When leveling on a planet I usually keep group finder on at all times.

Try whispering them first. Most people are put off by an invite that has no message attached to it and may not realize it's coming from the person in the same area as them (I've gotten invites from planets away for no reason at all).

This pretty much sums it up for me. Say hello. Actually invite me. I hate when I just get a random pop up. I don't even read them, honestly.

Try this, "Hey, are you working on [quest name]?" And when they respond, try, "Me too. Want to work on it together?".

That's all it would take in most cases. I'd be more likely to team up longer if there is some conversation once we're grouped too. Nothing crazy, just a reason to be in a group. I can finish quests solo all day long. But, I can't do them AND get a good banter going while playing by myself. Well, I can, but then people call me crazy. :p

-DZ

@OP after many years in another MMO. I have learned to avoid groups altogether as in that game apparently you should magically know how to use every ability, every talent, every gear modifier, as soon as you roll your character. and if you don't.....well.....I am now here am I not.