FTP is Too "Free". Please adjust model.

Klarick

Ugh.

I'm a founder too and I am very glad the best part of this game is free. The model as it is isn't horrible, but it's still very limiting and the number of threads about nickle and diming the player base as is is a good representation of how the community feels as a whole.

And the comparison to LOTRO? Wrong, wrong, wrong. F2P players get access to the entire base game. You pay for the expansion packs. SWTOR doesn't have any expansion packs yet, unless you count the HK51 update, in which case you DO have to pay for it, so its effectively identical, but with much less quality of life features.

Quickbars anyone? Hide head slot? Jesus.

That's lies about the LOTRO stuff, you most certainly have to buy quest packs for areas to do quests besides epic quests which won't give you enough xp to progress. I get sick of people claiming lotro is some perfect f2p model. it most certainly isn't unless you play 24/7 to grind tp on alts on every server doing the same repetitive quests driving yourself stark raving mad.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FTP flashpoint and ops participation are heavily restricted (3 a week i think?) and if they're doing ops already they must be former subbers, who will be slightly more savvy and better geared. Besides, lack of sub is not related to ability in the slightest. This FTP lark leaves a lot to be desired, but let's not pretend there's a problem where there isn't one.

Doesn't matter if you're god's gift to the world, if you can't wear the gear required to do the hm FP/OPs, you're just bringing the whole group down.

Also, F2P players take up space on the server. Servers can handle only so many people before it starts to lag. Then there's all this general whining and trolling in chat about how terrible SWTOR is.

Then there's all these F2P people on the lower level planets taking up quest mobs/loots making subbers take longer to level.

I personally have no problem with any of this, but I'm not going to act like F2P doesn't affect subbers negatively at all.

Edited by Smashbrother

Doesn't matter if you're god's gift to the world, if you can't wear the gear required to do the hm FP/OPs, you're just bringing the whole group down.

Is purple gear really that important for FPs? If it matters that much then don't play with FTP players and then your gaming experience will be exactly the same as it was before FTP hit. No problem.

If a subscriber doesn't have artifact level gear then they aren't ready for HM either. As long as they buy an equipment authorization and learn mechanics in SM, we'll all be fine. But every group i've ran in since Thursday's had some clueless person in it who may or may not have copped an attitude when instructions were given.

I highly doubt brand new FTP folks have been doing HM's since Thursday.

Seeing as XP is nerfed for them I don't think they got from 1 to 50 in the space of a couple of hours.

What you are dealing with is ex subs or clueless subscribers NOT new FTP folks.

Is purple gear really that important for FPs? If it matters that much then don't play with FTP players and then your gaming experience will be exactly the same as it was before FTP hit. No problem.

It matters for HMs, and people can't choose who they are grouped with using GF. And if you leave the group because your teammates are in crap gear, you can't reuse GF for a while.

I don't do much pve, so this isn't really an issue for me. But I could see how it could upset other subbers who are all about pve.

It matters for HMs, and people can't choose who they are grouped with using GF. And if you leave the group because your teammates are in crap gear, you can't reuse GF for a while.

I don't do much pve, so this isn't really an issue for me. But I could see how it could upset other subbers who are all about pve.

You might be right. I have just resubbed but if I remember correctly I never entered HM Flashpoints with purples, I picked them up there. It was mentioned above, no new player is doing FPs or OPs just yet but I suppose it could be an issue later. As I said earlier there is a lot wrong with this FTP model, but I just think the OPs complaints are petty and unjustified

I dont care what they give away but it has been my experience that the one thing that makes F2P successful is making the F2P ppl pay for content. Giving the story away and giving the planets away was a mistake IMO.

M

You are correct. A more pay as you play model would have been better served i believe.

You are correct. A more pay as you play model would have been better served i believe.

Well I don't have much experience with F2P games besides League Of Legends, and that game allows you to play the game with "free" weekly heroes. Nothing is restricted to you content wise. They sell tons of different costumes and cosmetic stuff, and LoL--AFAIK--is doing extremely well monetarily. So I think SWTOR's plan to just selling cosmetic stuff will probably do well also.

Well I don't have much experience with F2P games besides League Of Legends, and that game allows you to play the game with "free" weekly heroes. Nothing is restricted to you content wise. They sell tons of different costumes and cosmetic stuff, and LoL--AFAIK--is doing extremely well monetarily. So I think SWTOR's plan to just selling cosmetic stuff will probably do well also.

Too bad that's not really what they're doing.

1. Hotbars are locked.

2. Content is restricted. Section X, Operations, Flashpoints, Warzones. All locked to some degree.

3. Purple/Event items are locked.

4. Essential Cosmetics are locked. Hide Helm, Unify Color, Display Title, and all companion versions.

Also consider that all prices seen in the Cartel Market are actually per character. If you want to unlock Purple equipment for your entire account, it's going to run $25. Unlocking Section X for all characters will cost you $15.

Compare this to other F2P games, like LOTRO. You don't have to pay anything to equip the best gear. And purchasing a new area to explore, which contains hundreds of quests and some instances (flashpoints) will run about $7 for an account.

Dear Bioware,

As a Founder and subscriber, I'm a little dismayed that you are willing to give away so much of the game, that I pay for each month. Dont get me wrong, I like FTP options as I do think they are beneficial to the ongoing development of a game. However, the path you have chosen is unpredented in how much it gives for nothing.

A person can play the entire storyline of every class in the game, on either side of the conflict, without paying a dime! Really? That's a bit much IMO, and sort of a slap to us that pay monthly. As a suggestion I would like to see a more LOTRO type of model where a FTP'r has to buy quest packs and zone unlocks in order to progress. This method allows the FTP'ers a choice in what parts of the game they want to play WITHOUT angering those that pay a monthly subscription.

What you have done here is decide to just give the game away. I trust you know what you are doing here, but I, for one, am not too crazy about it.

Thank you,

Klarick

FOUNDER

OP is right, they have it bass ackwards

GIVE AWAY THE UI, SELL THE STORY CONTENT!!!

Who ever designed the ftp experience should be fired, like yesterday.

I love the layout and functionality of the shop, just the implementation of ftp seems really retarded.

Give away the meat and potatoes......but charge money to use a fork?

Dear Bioware,

As a Founder and subscriber, I'm a little dismayed that you are willing to give away so much of the game, that I pay for each month. Dont get me wrong, I like FTP options as I do think they are beneficial to the ongoing development of a game. However, the path you have chosen is unpredented in how much it gives for nothing.

A person can play the entire storyline of every class in the game, on either side of the conflict, without paying a dime! Really? That's a bit much IMO, and sort of a slap to us that pay monthly. As a suggestion I would like to see a more LOTRO type of model where a FTP'r has to buy quest packs and zone unlocks in order to progress. This method allows the FTP'ers a choice in what parts of the game they want to play WITHOUT angering those that pay a monthly subscription.

What you have done here is decide to just give the game away. I trust you know what you are doing here, but I, for one, am not too crazy about it.

Thank you,

Klarick

FOUNDER

This games story isn't worth $15. It should be free

This games story isn't worth $15. It should be free

^

The "story" content alone is only a few hrs long the quests are easy and short the only good thing about them is the cinematic which explain whats going on in the first place. The rest of the content is boring general MMO quests.

And yes I have played all the class quest all the way through

Dear Bioware,

Thank you,

Klarick

FOUNDER

You don't have to buy anything in Lotro. EVERYTHING can be earned in game if you are willing to put the time in.

Here they are charging for hotbars.

I agree. This game should be more like Lotro. It might not get closed down in a year then.

Dear Bioware,

As a Founder and subscriber, I'm a little dismayed that you are willing to give away so much of the game, that I pay for each month.

Klarick

FOUNDER

Just. Stop.

I, too, am a subscriber and a "founder" This entitles me to nothing more than a pat on the back and a title in game. I do not get a free ride on the whambulance to the Dev Hospital.

Not that much is being "given away". It could be worse (better?).

How absurd.

I think they should have had to buy the box to get the storylines personally.

Agreed.

It's a very good idea to give for FTP one story free and have people pay for any other class and story.

And of course Flashpoints, WZ and artifact armor restrictions.

Also, I really wish they weren't allowed to que up for hard modes in their non-artifact gear. It's not good enough for the content.

They can not use artifact gear - so they get nothing usefull from HM, so HM also should be restricted for FTP.

Dear Bioware,

Thank you,

Klarick

FOUNDER

This has to be a troll. However, its somewhat convincing, so in the case that you're not:

This game is insanely monetized for F2Pers that its outrageous. Like if I were to tell my son, "here's your free car, from Dad" and its an 80's model Subaru with no axles, wheels, tires, steering wheel, seats, steering column, engine, transmission, or floor board and he has to pay me every time he wants to install a new part, start it, shift gears, change lanes, change speeds, use the turn signal.

They can not use artifact gear - so they get nothing usefull from HM, so HM also should be restricted for FTP.

BW is letting F2Pers experience them in the hopes that they'll want to come back and buy them. How likely would it be for an average person to purchase a car if they were denied the opportunity to test drive it or even look inside of it/sit in it?

Before you fry the fish you have to land him and you're not going to do that without luring him to the hook and getting him to bite.

Edited by Rezakh

Whilst I can't agree with the OPs sentiment and being a founder myself, find it really cringe worthy that anyone would see fit to end a post with the "founder" stamp :(

I would like to ask all of the posters hating on the current F2P model, how WOULD you implement it?

Over the last few days the vast majority of posts I have read state that all of the UI features and customization options should be free...all of the sotry should be free...WZs / FPs / Ops should be increased to like 10 a week...the list of demands for what should constitute F2P goes on and on.

This all seems to infer nothing more than a "give me all of the game for nothing and lelt me play all that the game has to offer without ever supporting it financially"! attitude.

So...how WOULD you all implement the F2P "option" without undermining the value of those that DO support the game and pay a sub?

Driz

Edited by ImperialSun