Evolving StarWars

mefit

I have been a fan of StarWars since I was 4 (29years), my first StarWars toy was Vader with that sleavless trench coat .........I know I know , its suppose to be a cape !

After being brought into Star Wars , I later got into G.I Joes , Transformers , Superman/Batman/DC Comics, and Marvel . Now that I am 33 years old , I can look back and see that all but StarWars is evolving to keep up with the times and move past them . I see GL Canon often weighing down the series and thinking to myself if Stan Lee and Jack Kirby kept their characters at the most powerful , would those comics lasted so long ?

My Favorite Marvel character is Magneto who was considered one of the most powerful mutants , but he has always had a ying to his yang ........... Charles Xavier .

Apocalypse is known to be one of the first Mutants and still is on their level ! Wolverine might not be as powerful as Magneto or Xavier but still holds his own or is alot of times better in his own way than most Mutants of modern and in some cases the future .

Superman has often been out smarted or beaten by those less powerful or even without power .

But with every Character I said above , they all have been beaten but remain top characters .

No story or idea will ever take away that George Lucas created StarWars , call me silly but I feel that all these canon's stress what is StarWars more than helps it . If you cannot control your writers , Artist , and Directors whats the point of heading the Company anymore . Marvel and DC might have Canons but really no one ever argues about them , nor do they belittle people over them .

We get that Luke EU = Post powerful being in StarWars without a Yang.

We get that Emperor Palpatine = Most powerful SithLord

We get that Vader = Could have , would have

Being Luke is the only one from Above alive after OT series , I think its kinda stale that he really has no equal . Probably why I do not read anything hes in anymore .

THESE ARE JUST ""MY"" OPINIONS , nothing more !

Edited by mefit

Superman by all accounts should have no equal either, but writers have fixed that by saying he holds back. If he really wanted to, he could kill all of his friends with little to no trouble. He is also very intelligent, but writers again downplay that so Batman looks superior by comparison.

I did actually suggest that the EU could perhaps do a re-launch, like DC and Marvel does. Roll back the characters, make them younger, change stories and powers around, introduce new characters etc etc. But people didn't like that idea so much...

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

If Star Wars did a reset like Marvel and DC do resets, we'd probably get all the worst of what retcons entail.

Han Solo would be single, to be more relatable to the scruffy-looking, perpetually single nerds who like Star Wars (Spider-man, Peter Parker)

Anakin Skywalker would be alive again, because iconic characters deserve to become franchise zombies rather than have meaningful, significant deaths (the Flash, Barry Allen)

No more of Mara Jade's sparkling personality; instead let's focus on what's really important: having her wear as little as possible while having no-strings sex with everyone. In fact let's have her not remember any of her own history or relationships at all, to reflect how unbogged down by continuity this shiny new relaunch is. (Starfire - this may have changed in the last year or so, but frankly I'm afraid to go find out)

Hutts are too fat; let's pretty 'em up already (Amanda Waller)

And let's give Tenel Ka her arm back, so she can be a real Jedi again. No, not make it so she never lost it, give it back because nothing's more uplifting than curing awful, awful things like handicaps (Barbara Gordon)

Actually you know what, nobody cares about these old characters anyway, let's put 'em all in an alternate universe out of the way of the real moneymakers and just trot 'em out for the occasional side story (JSA, back on Earth 2)

Claim great strides in diversity by making someone "important" gay. A Jedi Master, guys! A main character! In the movies! So important! Ki-Adi-Mundi. Sure, we'll totally write more stories about him in the side universe, promise - there's that money-grubbing origin story to do, you know. What? Oh he doesn't have kids anymore, obviously, what did we tell you nerds about relating to people who will have families someday? Plus he's gay, how could he have kids now? Oh, and his boyfriend dies in the origin story, so obviously he's going to have to spend his entire life in vengeful celibacy. Still counts! (Green Lantern Alan Scott, who actually had a gay son who no longer exists so it wasn't even a net gain of "diversity")

Sorry, burned DC fan here. I could go on - trust me, I really could, for days even, haven't even gotten into comparing the Blue Beetle comics or why they're turning Vic Sage into Rorschach when they already have Rorschach or how Booster Gold can even remotely have the same personality when all of his character development has been retconned out or why there can be four male Robins at a time (the girl ones don't count) but more than one Batgirl ever existing would confuse people or the fiasco that occurs when the writer hired to do Static Shock isn't allowed to write the comic or how the unfortunate consequence of making Silver Age characters the headliners again is unwriting all the not-white not-male characters that were written since then--

But frankly the nerd rage is nearly as agonizing for me to write as it is for you to scroll past, eyes glazed over.

TLDR: Poster on Star Wars MMO forum is too damn nerdy.

Edited by spookysage

No thanks, I like having the universe mostly set in stone (with the occasional retcon of course, but those are inescapable) and not that mess of a continuity the marvel and DC universe has turned into

are you kidding the EU is a HUGE continuity mess. This is partially due to Lucas's canon rules.

Having what ever the creator says being law and having a creator who constantly changes his mind is a huge problem.

Edited by jarjarloves

are you kidding the EU is a HUGE continuity mess. This is partially due to Lucas's canon rules.

Having what ever the creator says being law and having a creator who constantly changes his mind is a huge problem.

Well compared to comic book universes the EU has the integrity of the freaking Bible, it's no Lord of the Rings universe that's for sure, but for something that has a ongoing tv show, 6 movies and a constant influx of new books and comic series the universe has kept a lot of coherency, I mean the largest retcons we've had is that Luke didn't bring that much balance in the end of Return of the Jedi, Ventress is no Rattataki and Grievous was no overpowered monstrosit, compared to things that has a reboot every decade it seems that's rather tame

If Star Wars did a reset like Marvel and DC do resets, we'd probably get all the worst of what retcons entail.

Han Solo would be single, to be more relatable to the scruffy-looking, perpetually single nerds who like Star Wars (Spider-man, Peter Parker)

Anakin Skywalker would be alive again, because iconic characters deserve to become franchise zombies rather than have meaningful, significant deaths (the Flash, Barry Allen)

No more of Mara Jade's sparkling personality; instead let's focus on what's really important: having her wear as little as possible while having no-strings sex with everyone. In fact let's have her not remember any of her own history or relationships at all, to reflect how unbogged down by continuity this shiny new relaunch is. (Starfire - this may have changed in the last year or so, but frankly I'm afraid to go find out)

Hutts are too fat; let's pretty 'em up already (Amanda Waller)

And let's give Tenel Ka her arm back, so she can be a real Jedi again. No, not make it so she never lost it, give it back because nothing's more uplifting than curing awful, awful things like handicaps (Barbara Gordon)

Actually you know what, nobody cares about these old characters anyway, let's put 'em all in an alternate universe out of the way of the real moneymakers and just trot 'em out for the occasional side story (JSA, back on Earth 2)

Claim great strides in diversity by making someone "important" gay. A Jedi Master, guys! A main character! In the movies! So important! Ki-Adi-Mundi. Sure, we'll totally write more stories about him in the side universe, promise - there's that money-grubbing origin story to do, you know. What? Oh he doesn't have kids anymore, obviously, what did we tell you nerds about relating to people who will have families someday? Plus he's gay, how could he have kids now? Oh, and his boyfriend dies in the origin story, so obviously he's going to have to spend his entire life in vengeful celibacy. Still counts! (Green Lantern Alan Scott, who actually had a gay son who no longer exists so it wasn't even a net gain of "diversity")

Sorry, burned DC fan here. I could go on - trust me, I really could, for days even, haven't even gotten into comparing the Blue Beetle comics or why they're turning Vic Sage into Rorschach when they already have Rorschach or how Booster Gold can even remotely have the same personality when all of his character development has been retconned out or why there can be four male Robins at a time (the girl ones don't count) but more than one Batgirl ever existing would confuse people or the fiasco that occurs when the writer hired to do Static Shock isn't allowed to write the comic or how the unfortunate consequence of making Silver Age characters the headliners again is unwriting all the not-white not-male characters that were written since then--

But frankly the nerd rage is nearly as agonizing for me to write as it is for you to scroll past, eyes glazed over.

TLDR: Poster on Star Wars MMO forum is too damn nerdy.

Well the reset would just reset the things post ROTJ, it wouldn't go back so far as the retcon things from the movies or anything of the sort. I wouldn't say do any major changes(like DC has done with Superman....) but small ones, like new stories or something that hasn't been touched on before.

I would actually though also like to see more What If stories, theres only 3 which are kinda disappointing.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Or how bout the fact that technology really hasn't changed in over 5000 years. Ship models change, but it's simply THE SAME DAMN TECH from the Mandalorian wars almost clear to the Legacy series.

What's changed? People and a few planets are missing, other than that, not a DAMN thing.

There's a lot more to change than simply the story. I mean lets face it, take my trooper, put him 3000 years in the future and he's a Republic clone trooper or a Imperial storm trooper. I mean really, can't come up with SOME kind of different armor scheme?

I mean the Mando armor, well not much changes with beskar'gam, but there in lies the rub with what i've been saying.

NOTHING CHANGES. Just the same song different chorus. Not that I don't LOVE Star Wars, just kinda sick of the same thing on repeat.

Or how bout the fact that technology really hasn't changed in over 5000 years. Ship models change, but it's simply THE SAME DAMN TECH from the Mandalorian wars almost clear to the Legacy series.

What's changed? People and a few planets are missing, other than that, not a DAMN thing.

There's a lot more to change than simply the story. I mean lets face it, take my trooper, put him 3000 years in the future and he's a Republic clone trooper or a Imperial storm trooper. I mean really, can't come up with SOME kind of different armor scheme?

I mean the Mando armor, well not much changes with beskar'gam, but there in lies the rub with what i've been saying.

NOTHING CHANGES. Just the same song different chorus. Not that I don't LOVE Star Wars, just kinda sick of the same thing on repeat.

Could always put it down to technology stagnating due to perpetual political turmoil and war - but really, it all comes down to everyone wanting to play with lightsabers and troopers and star destroyers and not being creative enough to come up with a conflict other than Some Kind of Republic that is always in conflict with Some Kind of Empire, garnish with Mandalorians to taste. I guess that's something the Yuuzhan Vong war in the EU had going for it - everyone united against a common foe.

Though really, why the hell is all this Old Republic stuff set as long ago as it is? Was the timeline really that brimming fit to burst that **** had to be lined up that far back?

Edited by spookysage

QFT.

If you want a prime example of this, look to Karen Traviss and the Mandalorians. The Republic/Imperial Commando books are unfinished forever because Lucas retconned Mandalorian society and basically invalidated all of Ms. Traviss' EU work aside from the language and culture. Before the Clone Wars established Manda'yaim as a barren desert, in EU Mandalore was actually a lush planet with rivers and grass lands. The planet was later glassed over by the Yuuzhan Vong at Vergere's behest when the Vong found out that the Mandalorians were a threat to the Yuuzhan Vong's warrior society. But now with the new Canon rules, the Yuuzhan Vong glassed over a desert with very few domed cities.

Then there's the whole Midichlorians thing.

And the ever changing and confusing timeline of the Clone Wars. Sometimes it feels like it's much longer than it actually is (The Clone Wars spans a timeline of Three years, according to the chronologies).

The continuity as a whole is just down right terrible and far beyond any sort of helpful reboot in my opinion. At this point, the only way for the EU to really make sense, or for any of Lucas' Canon to make sense, is to basically live by a single code:

"The movies and the TV series are the only Canon, everything else is Alternate Universe."

Again, this is just my opinion. I cannot stress that enough.