FTP is Too "Free". Please adjust model.

Klarick

With the quickbar thing, I imagine what class you play has a lot to do with it.

Considering that my Arsenal Merc's core rotation in only 4 buttons, I could probably function at peak to near peak levels with just one quick bar.

My Juggernaut, on the other hand, couldn't do with less than 2, and even that'd probably be pushing it.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Tatile,

FTP'rs HAVE to buy extra quick bars? Who told you that? A FTP'er is given, for free, two quickbars. I have played since Beta and can tell you, that although 4 bars are convenient, they are not necessary. Actually, if at any point you find yourself REQUIRING more than 2 bars, than you are playing SWTOR incorrectly. I agree that more than two is convenienet and a niceity, but two is really all you NEED to play.

When BW first announced the FTP restrictions, the FTP'er was only going to get one quickbar. At that time, I was on your side of the argument, as only having one bar would pretty much make the game unplayable before a person would hit 50. BW adjusted thier thinking, now you get the needed two. If you want more, then just pay the $2.00 bucks for the convenience of them.

They get two and have to buy more so YES they have to buy more toolbars learn to read.

Dear Bioware,

As a Founder and subscriber, I'm a little dismayed that you are willing to give away so much of the game, that I pay for each month. Dont get me wrong, I like FTP options as I do think they are beneficial to the ongoing development of a game. However, the path you have chosen is unpredented in how much it gives for nothing.

A person can play the entire storyline of every class in the game, on either side of the conflict, without paying a dime! Really? That's a bit much IMO, and sort of a slap to us that pay monthly. As a suggestion I would like to see a more LOTRO type of model where a FTP'r has to buy quest packs and zone unlocks in order to progress. This method allows the FTP'ers a choice in what parts of the game they want to play WITHOUT angering those that pay a monthly subscription.

What you have done here is decide to just give the game away. I trust you know what you are doing here, but I, for one, am not too crazy about it.

Thank you,

Klarick

FOUNDER

How about this, send them a check for $3.75 million a month to get rid of the F2P?

They didn't implement the F2P model because of how financially successful the game has been. Also, if you really been playing since the start, you don't cut servers down from over 70 to 8 because of success either.

Ugh.

I'm a founder too and I am very glad the best part of this game is free. The model as it is isn't horrible, but it's still very limiting and the number of threads about nickle and diming the player base as is is a good representation of how the community feels as a whole.

And the comparison to LOTRO? Wrong, wrong, wrong. F2P players get access to the entire base game. You pay for the expansion packs. SWTOR doesn't have any expansion packs yet, unless you count the HK51 update, in which case you DO have to pay for it, so its effectively identical, but with much less quality of life features.

Quickbars anyone? Hide head slot? Jesus.

Seriously, have you ever played LOTRO? You are wrong my friend. FTP's MUST MUST MUST buy quest packs and Zone unlocks. Not sure what version of LOTRO you are playing.

I agree, they've given away the best part of the game for free, and there really is no incentive for people to sub. Nickle and diming for stuff isn't going to get the money in...alot of people who are freeloaders will just find ways around it, and when they're done, they'll leave. The only ppl they'll squeeze money from are the ones that already sub, because they want new toys and things from the shop (and not even that, because many, like me, think its a scam).

A bit like the rest of us when we all first started? A subscriber could join today and be at the same level so it's pointless blaming that on FTP

If a subscriber doesn't have artifact level gear then they aren't ready for HM either. As long as they buy an equipment authorization and learn mechanics in SM, we'll all be fine. But every group i've ran in since Thursday's had some clueless person in it who may or may not have copped an attitude when instructions were given.

Wow, you can't be serious? As a subscriber we are getting EXACTLY the same experience as we were before, plus free coins that can be put towards content like HK-51 and the upcoming Cathar - content that we would have had to pay for if the game wasn't F2P, but that we can now access for free if we spend coins wisely.

F2P players get lumbered with so many restrictions it's only a bare-bones experience for them. Which works out as another benefit to subscribers - giving us servers with healthier populations.

I'm amazed you stooped low enough to complain about this.

It is way too much freedom. You can just download the game and play for free. A whole freaking game with 8 stories for free. All a sub does is speed up leveling and makes game easier.

You get a lot more as a sub than simply leveling sped up. You should probably play the game before posting in the forums.

I love LOTRO, but I hate the payment model, the only reason I have every quest pack in that game is because I played through with someone who had nobody else willing to do it with them, and I got them all on sale/in the super cheap physical expansions when they were still available. And don't forget they charge for every other extra in the game too (extra classes, races, mounts, quick travel blahblahblah).

I'm a sub here, but I will stop playing if they go to that model. For f2p'ers they are already charging for the new quests added last patch, and i'm sure they will do the same for the rest of the expansion content. As subscribers we get this content free, almost everything a f2p'er has to buy AND we get 500 coins a month. Seems like a good deal to me. Keep the base experience free to people who don't spend a penny, allow buyable perks and give subscribers everything + free coins is a great deal imo.

Besides, anyone saying the F2P option is TOO good is clearly full of it. If they really thought it was such a good deal that it made subscribing obsolete, they would just cancel their subscription and downgrade to Preferred status - which is even BETTER than the basic F2P option they claim is so good.