No death, only Wrath: The Helicarrier Chronicles

bright_ephemera

What's a three-month hiatus between friends?

CHRONICLES PRESENT, 60: In which Nalenne picks up the trail

A Pureblooded malice machine

Would draw some attention, if seen.

Or so you’d expect,

But he’s more circumspect

Than you’d think, when escaping the scene.

---

Time period: After Scourge’s betrayal

Quinn made it to the lounge at a fast clip and stopped short at the overstuffed couch where Nalenne was ensconced.

She looked up from her comic datapad. “Hi?”

“My lord. We have picked up Lord Scourge’s trail.”

“I thought that was Rho’s problem?”

Quinn frowned. “Lord Scourge has made himself an enemy of the Empire several times over.”

“That’s still a perfectly good problem for Rho.”

“Insanity Company wants the chance, my lord.”

“I was told their operations wouldn’t interfere with my slacking off.”

“You can stay on the Method, you’ll be perfectly comfortable.” He looked around the lounge, which had developed from a functional conference room into a jumble of couches, pillows, and a large-scale holo. “As you’ve already made yourself.”

“Fine. Where is RedHot, anyway?”

Quinn’s eye twitched once, but his voice remained all business. “He has struck on Alderaan.”

Nalenne did a double take. “He found a survivor to kill?”

“There is an archive there that was just hit by a ‘mystery Sith.’ He stormed in, murdered the archivist, downloaded one file, and left.”

“What file?”

“This year’s Who’s Who at the Jedi Academy.” The look in Quinn’s eye promised painful Imperial death to whoever got caught with it. “He’s seeking his next Chosen One.”

Kira showed up on the holo.

“Hi,” said Jaesa, hardly sweating at all.

“Hey! You ever going to come over for the My Little Nerfling movie?”

“Yes, I just…”

Nalenne glared daggers. “You were going to watch that with me!” she hissed.

“Um,” Jaesa said helplessly. “Listen, Kira, we need help finding a certain Jedi padawan.”

“To do what with him, exactly?”

“Her. Lord Scourge is looking for her. So we have to find her first.”

“Wow, and you’re not going to do it by killing in a straight line until a clue shows up? You really are a crack outfit these days.”

“Please, can you help?” Nalenne was still glaring at Jaesa. Jaesa’s forehead was definitely glistening.

Kira didn’t seem to notice. “If it gets us Lord Scourge? I’ll find out what Jedi Master took her on. Just get me a name and I’ll find out what planet she was bound for.”

After Kira vanished, Broonmark cleared his proboscis. “Killing in a straight line is tactically valid,” he quorked. “Jedi clan never appreciates this.”

Nalenne nodded sympathetically. “Maybe next time.”

“So we hope.”

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CHRONICLES PRESENT, 61: In which Nalenne finds a direction or two

Nostalgia is scarcely the word

When certain old names are re-heard.

A place best forgotten

When first declared rotten

Still sucks on the second or third.

---

Kira passed them the word.

“So,” Quinn said dramatically. “We return to Balmorra.”

“Again?” cried a bright-eyed Rutau.

“Again?” groaned Nalenne.

“It’ll beat Taris, at any rate,” said Pandorr.

“And Hoth,” said Ritter.

“I know literally nothing about the place,” said Durmat.

“The Emperor’s will will be ascendant on that cursed planet this time!” said Hareth.

“There won’t be any rituals,” asserted Quinn, sotto voce.

Hareth cleared her throat. “No, of course not.”

The Method tore through space, returning to the site of some of Insanity Company’s greatest memories. Or absence of memories thanks to chemical intervention.

Nalenne was planning, for once. She had her concerns as she approached Broonmark. “I was just thinking. Can you make a stim strong to keep Rutau in fighting shape throughout the battle this time?”

“Fully replacing Sith clan’s self-preservation failure with mechanical parts and adding fully redundant limbs might help,” blorped Broonmark. “Nothing less is likely to make a difference.”

“Well, it was worth asking.”

Vette found her practicing menacing poses with her lightsaber in her quarters. The Twi’lek let herself in.

“Hi,” said Nalenne, eyeing her curiously.

“Hey. Had a question.”

“Sure.” She paid close attention; she was finding a vague pang of guilt over having neglected her non-warlike friends lately.

“I’ve been thinking. Would you be up for coming on a Nar Shaddaa outing next week? There's this festival they have every year down in the Nautolan projects - sounds sketchy, is sketchy, but it's a great time, and I figured a week-long vacation..."

Nalenne arched her brow ridges. “You mean a week-long bender.”

“That’s what I said. Still. That’s where I scored that Dark Son first printing last time I got to go. I thought you and me and Jaesa…I mean, we can go back to the campaign of terror after, don’t get me wrong, can’t get enough of that, but…just a few girls’ days off?”

“You said the magic words.”

Vette considered. “The comic book ones?”

“Bingo.”

Vette grinned. “We’re on, then. As soon as this disaster’s over.”

CHRONICLES PRESENT, 62: In which Nalenne lands on Balmorra

The atmosphere gets downright heady

When any invasion gets ready.

When those in command

Take the battle in hand,

They might neither go slow nor steady.

---

The tiny, misshapen scrap heap that Rho called a ship flew in the shadow of the Method. When they reached orbit Rho unexpectedly opened a comm channel.

“Did I say I wanted conversation?” said Nalenne.

“Hello, Master Rho,” said Jaesa.

“Suckup,” muttered Pierce.

“We should contact ground control,” said Rho. “For a safe landing.”

“I was just going to drop in shooting,” said Nalenne.

Rho didn’t answer. Instead the image of a man in a Republic uniform flickered in.

“What is this?” he blustered. “Are you responsible for the Imperial warship?”

“And happy about it,” said Nalenne.

Rho cut in. “I'm a Jedi. I'm here to help. We’re seeking a young Jedi in the company of a Sith Lord–"

Nalenne didn’t listen to the end of that sentence, because it was thundered over by the impact of something on the Method’s shields.

“Ion cannon fire,” reported Quinn. “Keep those shields up, men. Officers, prepare the shuttles to land.”

“Please,” Rho said hurriedly, “we come in peace!”

"You're here with Sith!" shouted ground control.

"So are you!" said Nalenne. “Or he’s somewhere down there.”

“They’re not slowing down,” reported Hareth. “Our chance for glory has come.”

“Dammit,” said Nalenne. “Let’s just go.”

Quinn piloted the lead shuttle that descended alongside Rho’s ship; the shuttles carrying the remainder of Insanity Company trailed. The formation wobbled, broke, and reformed repeatedly around the ion cannon fire. They made a rough landing in a bombed-out area named, their maps helpfully supplied, Bugtown.

Rutau led the first squad to land beside them. He blinked and looked around, his expression brightening. “I recognize this area!”

“I don’t,” Ensign Rylon said cheerfully.

Rutau laughed. “I broke my leg for the first time over at the Okara Droid Factory, that way.”

From over a small ridge, Captain Pandorr brought another squad. He waved enthusiastically at Nalenne and the other officers. “Had to land separately after that last blast, milord. Ready to go now. But wow, you should’ve seen where we landed! Colicoids! The size of ‘em! Stumongous! Give 'em a little leg up, so to speak, maybe some stims or something, and they'll clear the Republic for us!"

"Focus."

“General! My lord!” Lieutenant Hareth marched up smartly and saluted. “Ready to commence the conflagration for the great glory of–”

"Lieutenant,” said Nalenne, “has anybody told you that the Emperor explicitly isn't searching for mass death? That was the part Lord Scourge made up?”

Hareth's mouth worked silently for a moment. Her eyes got a distinctly watery look.

"Oh, don't...look, glorious victory without all our people dying is still on the table. You know. Rah, rah, huzzah for the Empire?"

"It just isn't the same," she said miserably.

Vette gave an earsplitting whistle. “All right, guys,” Vette yelled. “We’re here for a reason, so you’re gonna have to save most of the chaotic-milling-around until after Nalenne gets what she wants.”

“You’re the best,” said Nalenne.

“Somebody’s gotta keep this circus going.”

“All right then.” Rutau looked across the valley to the droid factory, sighed, and hefted his rifle. "For the Empire!"

“And what’s right,” called Rho, jogging up with Kira in tow.

Nalenne rolled her eyes. Ordinarily she wasn’t a patriot, but for contrarianism’s sake she could be. “For the Empire!”

"Lieutenant,” said Nalenne, “has anybody told you that the Emperor explicitly isn't searching for mass death? That was the part Lord Scourge made up?”

Hareth's mouth worked silently for a moment. Her eyes got a distinctly watery look.

"Oh, don't...look, glorious victory without all our people dying is still on the table. You know. Rah, rah, huzzah for the Empire?"

"It just isn't the same," she said miserably.

Ahahahhaaahhhahahahahhaaahah! :D:D:D

CHRONICLES PRESENT, 63: In which Nalenne prepares to storm the castl…bunker

A talent when rightly applied

Satisfies with a well-deserved pride.

To do what you do

With none better than you

Lifts morale and sets worry aside.

---

“Didn’t you bring your menagerie?” said Nalenne.

“What?” said Rho.

“Your crew. Blue, Bolts, and Bad News?”

“Oh. I left them to guard the ship. I wouldn’t ask the others to fight Republic troops,” Rho said virtuously. “This is between me and Lord Scourge.”

“And your padawan,” reminded Kira.

“And the entire Empire,” added Nalenne.

“My lord,” reported Lieutenant Ritter. “Nobody really wanted to wade through those bugs to get to the abandoned terminal, but we did it. The Republic knows exactly where their Jedi visitor went…and they’re defending her.”

“That won’t help her any. Where are we going?”

“A bunker a little ways to the west. Probably shoddy Republic construction.”

“Won’t matter either way when we get there. Let’s go.”

The only difficulty was a Republic battalion standing guard over the bunker, entrenched and ready to take on all comers in defense of the Jedi VIP and her smooth-talking Sith guest.

Or so they probably thought.

Nalenne looked over the officers of Insanity Company. Hareth looked ecstatic. Rylon was still looking cheerfully vague. The others just looked determined.

“Have at it,” said Nalenne. “Crew, Jedi hangers-on, with me.”

“Good hunting,” said Quinn, and went to lead his soldiers. Insanity Company turned aside from the path and formed up for a charge. Nalenne moved on.

Pierce slowed beside her. "Milord?"

"Yes, come on."

"Makin' a stand against overwhelming odds out here."

"Insanity Company's got it."

"Dozen to one, maybe worse." Pierce looked hopeful. "Don't suppose you could spare me for frontline duty?"

"...Anyone ever tell you you sound like Hareth sometimes?"

"Piffle, I'm not in it to die. All those sods are, they just don't know it yet."

Nalenne relented. "Go talk to Rutau. Have fun."

Pierce split into a broad smile. "Yes, milord."

As he peeled off, Broonmark took his place beside her, his lower eyes blinking thoughtfully. “Sith clan artillery will have glorious killing. We hope Sith clan gets a good fight as well.”

“Of course we will. We’re beating up the Jedi Order’s second favorite child, aren’t we?”

“Some Jedi get killed too easily.” Broonmark shook his head. “A sorry trait.”

“If we can’t get any decent killing here I’ll take you out someplace violent after. – Week after next, that is.”

Broonmark brightened, fluffing out his as-yet-un-bloodstained fur. “Sith clan is the best clan.”

I had to go back and look up the rest of Broonmark's monikers for his fellow crewmembers:

Vette: Sith clan songbird (totally sings in the shower)

Jaesa: Sith clan hippie

Pierce: Sith clan artillery

Quinn: Sith clan's dumbest

Rho is Jedi clan's dumbest and Rutau is Sith clan's self-preservation failure (all of Insanity Company got lumped into Sith clan when Nalenne rejoined Quinn); I think those are the only other names he's applied.

I had to go back and look up the rest of Broonmark's monikers for his fellow crewmembers:

Vette: Sith clan songbird (totally sings in the shower)

Jaesa: Sith clan hippie

Pierce: Sith clan artillery

Quinn: Sith clan's dumbest

Rho is Jedi clan's dumbest and Rutau is Sith clan's self-preservation failure (all of Insanity Company got lumped into Sith clan when Nalenne rejoined Quinn); I think those are the only other names he's applied.

So, however brief the association, did he come up with one for Baras? :D (pre-*ahem*, that is)

CHRONICLES PRESENT, 64: In which Nalenne and Rho confront the liar

A Knight and a Warrior paired

Should leave any witnesses scared.

Though methods may clash,

Through talk or hack-slash

They’ll take any prize they’ve declared.

---

Insanity Company had the Republic defenders in hand. Or in scathing blaster fire, as the case may be. Nalenne, her crew, and the two Jedi moved on, keeping a straight line on the road. The Republic troops didn’t try to stop them.

“Convenient,” noted Nalenne. “If boring.”

“I think I’d like boring, at least until we get there,” said Jaesa.

They reached the bunker doors. Nalenne hesitated. “I think I left my demolitions man elsewhere.”

“Not to worry,” said Vette, pulling something from her pocket. “I helped myself to some of Pierce’s stuff before we left. Figured he might get distracted before we made it this far.”

The Twi’lek set the charges and backed off with Nalenne, Jaesa, and the Jedi. The door blew. The invaders crashed into the dark cool of the bunker.

“Um, hello?” said Nalenne.

“Killing?” Broonmark buzzed hopefully.

The lights came on. Lord Scourge stood in a cramped square room beside a pale, gangly Cathar girl. She was clutching her lightsaber to her chest like a favorite book.

“Scourge?” Rho said.

“Master Rho,” said Lord Scourge. “I see that you are still in the company of these liars.”

“I think they’re telling the truth,” Rho said stoutly. “Also, is that poor girl the valedictorian we’ve been looking for?”

"This is the Jedi of my vision. The one that will cast down the false Wrath and slay the Emperor at last."

"don't hurt me," said the Jedi.

"Well, you picked yourself a winner there," said Nalenne.

Scourge shot the Jedi a dirty look, then made a dismissive gesture. "It does not matter. She is the one from my vision."

Rho looked stricken. "I thought I was the one in that vision!"

"I was mistaken," said Scourge.

"You mistook a blonde, underfed Cathar girl for a Mirialan Jedi Master?" said Nalenne.

"The lighting is poor in visions."

“I don’t even know what to say to that.” Nalenne drew her saber. “Except it was idiotic.”

Rho and Scourge both drew their sabers. The Jedi spoke: “I didn’t want this to come to violence.”

Nalenne was pretty sure Scourge rolled his eyes before he charged the Jedi.

There wasn’t much room to maneuver, but Nalenne jumped in beside Rho, her officially licensed Scarlet Nexu red flashing beside his boring Jedi blue. Between the two of them they soon had Scourge cornered. This was going to be easy.

A sudden rumbling sounded down one of the two hallways, growing from a shake to a roar for a few seconds. Dust puffed back out into the room where Nalenne and the rest of the fight stopped.

“Was that…?” said Vette.

“The back door escape route,” blipped Broonmark. “Killed now.”

Nalenne blinked. “I think we’re down one chosen Jedi.”

“She might have escaped and closed the way after,” Jaesa said hopefully. “Instead of getting crushed.”

“If you credit her with that much intelligence, sure.”

Before anyone else could say anything, in a burst of black and red, Scourge bull rushed past Nalenne’s crew to the one remaining exit.

CHRONICLES PRESENT, 65: In which matters are resolved

A Sith may, at times, get to reach

A Jedi, and may start to teach:

Experimentation

With mortal temptation

Makes wickedness easy to preach.

---

A familiar voice, nasal yet rich with smugness, rang through the room. "Not so fast. I thought you would try an escape."

The blaster appeared first in the passageway, followed by Quinn, looking like he would burst into preening at any moment if he didn’t have work to do first.

“You’re about to be a speed bump!” shrilled Nalenne, leaping forward to grab Scourge and Force haul him back into the room.

Quinn strolled up to block the doorway, training his blaster on Lord Scourge and looking self-satisfied.

"You were going to stay back and coordinate!" said Nalenne.

"I did, my lord. Until such time as we had broken through the Republic defenses and 'coordination' became the joke it tends to devolve to when you're leading the charge. So, since that job function was no longer called for, I went where I predicted you would need me most."

"You're talking, but all I'm hearing is 'Blah blah I couldn't resist the dramatic entrance.'"

"Neither can you, my lord." He arched one eyebrow and didn't quite smirk at her. He did whatever a very dignified smirk might be.

Lord Scourge grumbled something irritable and Force swatted Quinn’s blaster from his hand.

“Stop that, you,” said Nalenne, striding forward and shoving the wounded Sith until he lurched to one knee. “You can’t escape now. You know what would solve this faster than anything else?"

"A peaceful surrender," said Rho.

"Violence," quorked Broonmark.

"Score one for the Talz."

“Please!” said Rho, striding to Lord Scourge’s side. “I must arrest him at least. We can talk about this.”

“He’s just going to go find another Jedi to swindle,” said Nalenne.

“He’s guilty of innumerable crimes against your people,” added Quinn.

Scourge forced the question. As Rho stood there looking conflicted Scourge heaved to his feet, a blur of power reaching for Rho’s lightsaber. The smaller man grappled with the huge Sith for a long moment, and then, very suddenly, Scourge broke high and Rho broke low. Rho’s lightsaber tore through the Sith and came out clean and blue.

Scourge fell heavily to his knees, then the ground.

“There,” said Quinn, sounding satisfied. “Now do we betray them, my lord?”

Jaesa was looking wide-eyed and pleading. Nalenne was looking thoughtful. “Hush,” she said, “you're interrupting a perfectly good fall from grace.” She turned her attention back to Rho. “Gasp!” she said loudly. “Is that blood on your hands?”

"No," Rho said quickly, stuffing his lightsaber into his pocket and jerking his hand back out to rest casually at his side.

“My lord, lightsaber wounds rarely shed blood. The wounds cauterize immediately.”

“Fall from grace,” Vette said loudly. “A-hem.” She made a lip-zipping gesture and jerked her head back in Rho’s direction.

“He forced my hand,” said Rho. “I didn’t want to kill him.”

“But you did,” said Nalenne. “Just look at that! You took a life. That makes you corrupt! Guess you'd better go the rest of the way."

“What?” Rho said blankly.

“Oh, for…”

“Rho,” said Jaesa, “she’s saying that now that you’ve sold out to the Dark Side – an assertion I protest, but she is more of an evil expert than I am – maybe you can do some other Dark Side things, too.”

“Jaesa?” Kira said suspiciously. Jaesa looked in Rho’s direction and shrugged.

“But…like…what?” Rho eyed Jaesa uncertainly.

“Like her,” Nalenne said impatiently, pointing at Kira.

Kira’s eyes widened. “Wow. Good thing your master’s a master of subtlety, Jaesa.”

“That’s really not necessary,” Rho said hurriedly to Nalenne. “That’s not necessary, is it, Kira?”

Kira jumped. “No, of course not, that’s completely – well, maybe a little necessary.”

Rho did a double take. “You think so?”

“You know. If you want. It’ll be fun.”

“It’s just that,” he said, “I’ve been resisting your charms. This whole time.”

Kira’s eyes widened in a blaze of blue. “You think I have charms?”

“No,” he said. “There’s been no thinking. We’re Jedi, you know.”

“Yeah, I got that part. …There’s charms?”

“Which I’ve been resisting,” Rho insisted. “Just because you’re beautiful and brilliant and improperly funny and just incredibly endearing when you get irreverent even if I do have to admonish you every time…”

“D’aww,” stage-whispered Nalenne, watching avidly.

“But I’ve been ignoring that,” he said plaintively. “Trying to be a good Master.”

“You don’t have to be that good,” said Kira.

“I mean, you already killed that poor man,” supplied Nalenne.

“Yeah,” said Kira.

“My lord, if we’re going to betray them sometime today…”

If Quinn finished that sentence no one was listening to hear it, because just then Rho shivered all over, bounded to Kira, swept her into his arms, and gave her a visibly inexpert yet clearly enthusiastic kiss.

Nalenne gave them a few moments, but cleared her throat before they started doing anything gross. "Tell you what," she said, "because I'm such a softie when it comes to love, I'll give you guys a running start."

“Oh, and, watch for the clashing armies outside,” Vette said helpfully.

Rho and Kira exchanged looks. “Nicer outcome than I was expecting,” said the padawan.

“No kidding,” said Nalenne. “But you two are cute and I’m in a good mood from the Scourge-killing. Now get a move on.”

Quinn watched them go. "Was that wise, my lord?"

"No," she said, and kissed him. “Come on. There’s still a battalion outside to wipe out.”

AMOR (usually) VINCIT OMNIA

And that's the second arc of Nalenne's story, which surprised me just as much as the first arc did!

The Story and Lore forum directed me to this "fan fiction" concept just over a year ago, and I jumped in with Nalenne's tale at the very end of last May. I've had a fantastic time sharing stories with all of you. I'm grateful for all the support and feedback and I'm especially grateful to everyone who participated in idea-bouncing, helping hatch ideas I'd never have come up with on my own.

That said, I've been slowly running down for a while, and I think this is a good place to leave our heroine and co., secure in the knowledge that she'll still be getting in trouble offstage indefinitely. Nalenne was my first-ever fic character, and she'll always be my irresponsible baby. Now, with an intact crew, a live husband, and the thoroughly enthusiastic crack military corps of Insanity Company, she's probably ready for (almost) anything.

"You mistook a blonde, underfed Cathar girl for a Mirialan Jedi Master?" said Nalenne.

"The lighting is poor in visions."

*dies*

Ahh Scourge or Red Hot, which is the best nickname for you ever, I knew it had to end this way, at least your death meant something in the end. I will forever think of this particular arc as a novella entirely constructed to get Rho laid. A worthwhile endeavor and an awesome read. :D

Edited by kabeone