Still no cross-faction-communication?

Sylend

The benefits out way the drawbacks in YOUR opinion.

You have /say that you can use for you RPing. Its more realistic then using general chat of private chat. That is RPing is all about your emulsion. Doing such general cross faction communications would not be good SIS and Imperial Intelligence would be all over a traitor.

As far as events go you have forums to set it up and /say during for the more realistic feel.

Account communications is something total different. There is no way abuse that if set up like WoW did with real ID.

The chair is against the wall, John has a long mustache... those phrases sound familiar at all? They are code phrases that the Allies used during WW2 to talk to resistance members to let them know when to do things. Why did they do that? Because the Axis were listening.

The way the game is set up right now they almost assume that the Republic and the Empire ( using the same technology ) somehow cannot intercept or listen into the other side's communications. Yes you are correct that SIS and Imp Intel would be all over trying to find and prosecute traitors and spies.. but that is a part of the RP. Staying one step ahead, or getting caught. :)

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you read anything in the thread?

No, he hasn't.

You have /say that you can use for you RPing. Its more realistic then using general chat of private chat. That is RPing is all about your emulsion. Doing such general cross faction communications would not be good SIS and Imperial Intelligence would be all over a traitor..

Nor has this guy.

NO ONE has said ANYTHING about xfac in General chat.

How large of a percentage of in-game players, do you think look at the forums regularly? 5%? 10%? Let's say it was an outrageously high ration, and assume that HALF of the people that play TOR also read the forums regularly. Then that means that HALF the community doesn't use the forums for coordinating events.

That makes the forums a useless tool of communication.

Also...what is the point of brining SIS and Imperial Intelligence into this? Who cares about realistic? You're correct. Say is more realistic. So are custom emotes...which can't be seen cross faction. But we're not talking about REALISM...in STAR WARS...because that's INSANE. Do you know what else is more realistic? NOT BEING A JEDI!

Is it so difficult to understand that we're talking about a game mechanic here? Not a purely in-character system? We're talking about communication between factions in order to coordinate events. Between guild members whom are on opposed faction alts. About several other systems that people are ignoring time and time again.

Stop recycling the same bloody statements, and come up with some new arguments that hold water. I'm getting bored of listening to opponents copy/paste every rebuttal.

cross faction talk is weak. the rp'ers in this game are weak. all they do is pretend to sit and drink and hit on each other in the most socially awkward ways. honestly, the only place cross faction people can safely gather on a pvp server is Nar Shaddaa where /say works just fine. So the other faction can't see your super special awesome totally original e-mote. boo hoo. this system would be abused because there are more jerks than rp'ers and while it is unprovable by quantified metrics, it's a fact all the same.

The chair is against the wall, John has a long mustache... those phrases sound familiar at all? They are code phrases that the Allies used during WW2 to talk to resistance members to let them know when to do things. Why did they do that? Because the Axis were listening.

The way the game is set up right now they almost assume that the Republic and the Empire ( using the same technology ) somehow cannot intercept or listen into the other side's communications. Yes you are correct that SIS and Imp Intel would be all over trying to find and prosecute traitors and spies.. but that is a part of the RP. Staying one step ahead, or getting caught. :)

Sorry missed WW2.

I get what you are saying. But Darth Eric Musco won't tell Master Amber Green the chair is against the way. He would tell BH Green Amber the chair is against the wall.

See what I'm saying?

La_Trix when you have Some worthwhile feedback I'll reply.

Holocommunicator. Or in more normal terms, chatbox.

Default to off.

Whitelist based - Only players or guilds you have approved may "call" you. But you may or may not allow calls

from others too (to add them to your whitelist in the first place, some names are very hard to type).

Does not work while in combat - same mechanism that they implemented with crew missions. Do not work in

warzones either due to war communication jamming.

I cannot disagree more. You will always have those who will abuse the system if they can. IF they do send in a harassment report. Get the GM's involved, but don't let the few who can only have fun by trying to make others miserable so that they can feel better about themselves rule and dictate chat features.

The abuse is why I said they would have to include a disable function if they did it, yes you can report abuse, but if you are seeing nothing but abuse you would want to just disable the cross faction chat. Thinking a bit more, I should have specified that it would have to be a Cross-Faction Chat channel rather than just General Chat.

I tend to agree that idiots who abuse shouldn't prevent genuine players from enjoying things, It's just that the idiots would get too much fun abusing it. Which is why I see the positives and the negatives balancing on this issue.

Guild tools in general are useless in this game and cant see them getting better any time soon despite the so called "guild love" we are getting this year. 5 months in and just a 5%xp for being in a guild added.

Guild caps are too low. A 500 cap where 1 player can have 22 characters is madness. There is a 8 page thread on suggestions forum with support to increase this cap but no word of it increasing. Despite guild management and removing inactive members we can only open recruitment a few weeks every 3-4 months due to being full.

The message of the day is clumsy and restrictive with too few number of characters allowed to type on it. Be much nicer to have it larger in the middle of the screen on log on as a pop up. Can even add it to enable/disable if someone didn't want it though.

Agree with the chat, should be allowed cross faction especially if you have guilds on both factions, they should be allowed a joint guild chat room.

Luckily for us we use teamspeak and also have a website for a proper calendar and events sign ups as nothing ingame helps larger guilds

As for your restricted tells, that's why we've mentioned Friends List requirments....oh so many times.

Keep mentioning it. I missed it till now - sorry. Good idea. That would address my concerns, in fact. So we are in agreement about ways to restrict /whisper functionality.

Your second question...while off topic...would be answered by the length of a game's lifetime, combined with how easy it was to find RP.

Game's lifetime is easy to measure, but I don't think it's a good metric for the quality of RP. Tetris is still going strong... So a MMORPG may go strong or wilt based on factors other than RP.

How do you measure how easy it was to find RP in each of those games?

My question was about ways to measure how rich and flourishing RP was. That was a follow-up to your statement, which I consider very relevant and on-topic, namely:

I'll grant you, that decent RP is possible without xfac. It certainly makes things unnecessarily difficult though. When you compare games with such an arbitrary and useless wall, to games that didn't have such limitations (SWG, Age of Conan, City of Heroes, Fallen Earth etc...etc...) I think you'll see that they had far richer and more flourishing RP communities, across the board.

Don't worry. I'll fix this for you.

La_Trix when I can think of an original rebute, I'll reply.

You're welcome

@everyone else

I get that people like saying that it'll lead to abuse. What no one is saying, is HOW it will lead to abuse. With the proposed restrictions...

-Tells only to people on your friends list

-WZ and PvP flag restrictions

-custome emotes, tells (to people on your FL) and custom chat channels only

How will this be abused, with these restrictions?

Someone explain this to me.

-Tells only to people on your friends list

-WZ and PvP flag restrictions

-custome emotes, tells (to people on your FL) and custom chat channels only

Is this on the Suggestion forum yet? In this format, I mean? I wonder what the devs think of it.

Sorry missed WW2.

I get what you are saying. But Darth Eric Musco won't tell Master Amber Green the chair is against the way. He would tell BH Green Amber the chair is against the wall.

See what I'm saying?

I see what your saying, but you forget there was a resistance inside Nazi Germany too.. there very well could be Evoci (sp?) on Hutta desperate to try and get help from the republic. The rebellious slaves on Drommund Kaas trying to contact the Republic. Also monitoring the enemies transmissions or planting false and misleading transmissions.

There is a ton of possibilites that would open up if Cross faction communications were opened up.

Holocommunicator. Or in more normal terms, chatbox.

Default to off.

Whitelist based - Only players or guilds you have approved may "call" you. But you may or may not allow calls

from others too (to add them to your whitelist in the first place, some names are very hard to type).

Does not work while in combat - same mechanism that they implemented with crew missions. Do not work in

warzones either due to war communication jamming.

Good Idea :)

The abuse is why I said they would have to include a disable function if they did it, yes you can report abuse, but if you are seeing nothing but abuse you would want to just disable the cross faction chat. Thinking a bit more, I should have specified that it would have to be a Cross-Faction Chat channel rather than just General Chat.

I tend to agree that idiots who abuse shouldn't prevent genuine players from enjoying things, It's just that the idiots would get too much fun abusing it. Which is why I see the positives and the negatives balancing on this issue.

THere have been many goo ideas on how to limit the abuse. Plus Ignore HOPEFULLY would work as well though sometimes I feel it doesn't.

How will this be abused, with these restrictions?

Someone explain this to me.

Why is cross-faction talk necessary enough to require expending even a small amount of development effort? Someone explain this to me.

I wish you PvP guys would stop complaining all the time

That's tantamount to saying "I wish you PvP guys weren't PvPers."

Edited by branmakmuffin

Cross faction talk is something that would be good especially for guilds that have guilds on both sides since there is nothing in SWTOR to enable guilds to communicate cross faction. We have two guilds one Republic and One Imperial and we would like a way to communicate between the two.

I have heard the argument over and over you can use say but the problem with say is you have to be in the same area and not everyone wants to hang out in the cantina where you can find the ones you want to speak to or even roleplay. Some of us would like to be out doing stuff but still communicate with our guilds or friends (yea some of us have friends that have toons on both sides) that we would like to communicate with and there is no way of finding them when you are out doing stuff so this would enable a way to have people communicate with the ones they would like to.

Edited by ScarletBlaze

Why is cross-faction talk necessary enough to require expending even a small amount of development effort? Someone explain this to me."

We have...repeatedly...in very simple terms. Read the thread.

For all those who say /say is enough. How many of you have participated in a Cross Faction RP event?

It is a wall of white text where your job is not to RP as much as it is to scroll through all the countless conversations to find that one line the person your talking to posted and reply to it while hoping you didn't miss something else happening or directed towards you.

It is the equivilant of being in a crowded room with music blaring and everyone yelling out what they want to say at the exact same moment.

How are you supposed to RP let alone carry on a conversation like that?

For all those who say /say is enough. How many of you have participated in a Cross Faction RP event? [...]How are you supposed to RP let alone carry on a conversation like that?

What kind of "RP" would realistically take place if there's that large a group? Sith and Jedi getting palsy-walsy in the Slippery Slope? Agents and Troopers? Those folks represent opposite sides. I'll grant you that Bounty Hunters and Smugglers would have no reason for built-in rancor.

No, these events are not "RP." They are just virtual socializing. If you want that, Second Life is a much better choice. Or log on alts so everyone is in the same faction. "Problem" solved.

Edited by branmakmuffin