Question about the Mandalorians

Grimmusings

This is more out of curiosity about how things for the Mando's go with the current setting of TOR being pretty much a cold war, since one of their tenants for being a Mandalorian is to follow the Mandalore when called.

Now, with the Mandalore siding the Mando's with the Empire (Despite all the apparent stolen ships, captured/killed Imperials with bounties and all that fun) and apparently most Mandalorians following as is told by the tenants to do so, would that mean any Mandalorian clan that doesn't go help out the Imperials would be seen as dar'manda?

Has anyone seen any Mandalorian who can be still seen as a True Mando supporting the republic or similar? I'm aware a republic class gets a Mando for a companion, does that lend any insight into the subject itself by any chance?

This is mostly about finding out if you could roleplay a Mandalorian from a small, relatively unknown clan that serves with the Republic or similar, either in a soldier or mercenary capacity.

Any and all input is appreciated. :D

I didn't know that a Republic class got a Mandalorian companion. I know the Bounty Hunter does, Torian, whom I'm trying to gear up to be my regular companion.

Anyway, Republican ideals are an anathema to the Mandalorians, so i wouldn't say they would ever be aligned with them. Mandalorians are about testing yourself in battle, so it is no wonder they've sided with the Sith. They've sided with the Sith in the past, and will do again, under the current EU lore, in the future.

This is more out of curiosity about how things for the Mando's go with the current setting of TOR being pretty much a cold war, since one of their tenants for being a Mandalorian is to follow the Mandalore when called.

Now, with the Mandalore siding the Mando's with the Empire (Despite all the apparent stolen ships, captured/killed Imperials with bounties and all that fun) and apparently most Mandalorians following as is told by the tenants to do so, would that mean any Mandalorian clan that doesn't go help out the Imperials would be seen as dar'manda?

Has anyone seen any Mandalorian who can be still seen as a True Mando supporting the republic or similar? I'm aware a republic class gets a Mando for a companion, does that lend any insight into the subject itself by any chance?

This is mostly about finding out if you could roleplay a Mandalorian from a small, relatively unknown clan that serves with the Republic or similar, either in a soldier or mercenary capacity.

Any and all input is appreciated. :D

The main group of Mandalorians followed Mandalore's call in helping out the Empire, but there were some people who refused, saying that they should revere the rules of Canderous (aka Mandalore the Preserver) and follow the Republic. Those that refused Mandalore's call were exiled.

*Spoilers*

If you do the Bounty Hunter quest line far enough (Taris) you deal with Mandalorians who refused the Mandalore's call, and who in fact believe that the Mandalorians ought to support the Republic and not the EMpire, as per Mandalore the Preserver (Canderous Ordo) teachings. It is also suggested (Though I have yet to outright hear it started) that the majority (if not all) of Clan Ordo itself supports the Republic. I do not know how big this clan is or what, but it's implied in some of the Tarisian Bounty Hunter quests.

Whether or not it is compatable to Mandalorian life style I will not comment, but it would also not be the first nor last time Mandalorians have supports the Republic and Republic ideals over the Empire. Keep in mind of all else Mandalorians value freedom, more even than war. Freedom is not something you find in the Empire.

Edited by NomineImperator

Biggest reason the Mandos tend to side against the Republic is because they like to fight Jedi. They state that there is no greater challenge for the Mandalorians than to fight against Jedi armies, so they have a habit of trying to provoke them.

However, this actually means that a 'True' Mandalorian holds the empire in contempt, because they see the Sith as weaker than the Jedi(or they would do their best to fight the sith, nothe the jedi).

If you read the book in the CE, its revealed that the current Mandalore appears to be a sith setup, which means that those serving him are the true traitors to the Mandalorian way :eek:

Thanks a ton for helping me out on the subject guys, its really appreciated. I think I finally understand how Clan's such as Ordo would be seen. Cheers :D

Just FYI, Clan Ordo has provided a few Mandalores over there years.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Clan_Ordo

So if they are siding with the republic, it means they seriously question whether the current Mandalore is legit, and if they do, others are likely to question him as well.

Aye, I figured that there would be some other clans following Ordo in allying themselves on the republic side. Any ideas on how they would maybe act or behave if one wanted to roleplay one? I'm pretty sure that just because their the Republics allies, they're not bestest buddies. There seems to be very little information on the subject, outside of the comics/books which I unfortunately don't own.

remember, the clones were altered to suppress the individualism that mandos prize. mandos themselves hated the clones, and felt jango had betrayed them by allowing himself to be cloned.

Based on KoToR, if clan Ordo rejects the Mandalore, Then they simply do not acknowledge he is mandalore. Those who follow him will try to kill them, but hey, thats not a bad thing to a mandalorian

• 10 months later...
remember, the clones were altered to suppress the individualism that mandos prize. mandos themselves hated the clones, and felt jango had betrayed them by allowing himself to be cloned.

That was one Mandalorian, Ghez Hokan. Others, like Kal Skirata and Walon Vau, raised the clones as sons (especially Skirata). But even they said the Republic was failing and if it weren't for the clones, they'd have sided with the Separatists.

That was one Mandalorian, Ghez Hokan. Others, like Kal Skirata and Walon Vau, raised the clones as sons (especially Skirata). But even they said the Republic was failing and if it weren't for the clones, they'd have sided with the Separatists.

Which is true, since most Mandalorian's at the time were hiring out their services to the CIS and not the Republic. Jango was looked down upon by more than a few people when he took the offer to be cloned, namely those who survived from the Death Watch, but at the time Jango was also Mand'alor, so he had free reign to do just about anything he wanted.

It's quite plausible for someone to represent a Mandalorian that allies himself with the Republic. After the incident with Mand'alor the Lesser and his false mantle and his death at the hands Artus, Mandalorians around the galaxy could very easily be cautious and un-trusting of the Mandalores. And in the end, Artus has never had anything legitimate to his reign. Simply killing a false idol to the mantle of the Mandalore doesn't make him one. He does not have unilateral support throughout the clans and doesn't have the Mask of Mandalore either.

Your character could very easily be a Mandalorian discouraged with the direction of the clans and angry at the Sith for their use of a puppet to control the Mandalorians. My character is an "Imperial" by faction, but he works whomever pays him. He will gladly kill a Sith or a Jedi, Imperial or Republic. Which is what a True Mandalorian should be fighting for. Independence from both sides and the reemergence of the Mandalorians as a power in the galaxy.

• 2 years later...
It's quite plausible for someone to represent a Mandalorian that allies himself with the Republic. After the incident with Mand'alor the Lesser and his false mantle and his death at the hands Artus, Mandalorians around the galaxy could very easily be cautious and un-trusting of the Mandalores. And in the end, Artus has never had anything legitimate to his reign. Simply killing a false idol to the mantle of the Mandalore doesn't make him one. He does not have unilateral support throughout the clans and doesn't have the Mask of Mandalore either.

Your character could very easily be a Mandalorian discouraged with the direction of the clans and angry at the Sith for their use of a puppet to control the Mandalorians. My character is an "Imperial" by faction, but he works whomever pays him. He will gladly kill a Sith or a Jedi, Imperial or Republic. Which is what a True Mandalorian should be fighting for. Independence from both sides and the reemergence of the Mandalorians as a power in the galaxy.

That's kinda wrong, the lore says anyone can proclaim himself a Mand'alor, but its up to him whether he has something to back it up. The Mand'alor is either obeyed without question or defied and (eventually) slaughtered horribly. So if he says he's Mand'alor and he survives and punches in the face the whole lot taht disagrees, he's good to me.

Edited by Pawlas

doesn't have the Mask of Mandalore either.

Where is the Mask?!

And second...

Would be really cool for them to go deeper into the Mandalorians... make them a stronger faction (imo) adding Dxun and Mandalore itself would be really cool. (Also love their addition of Mando'a into the game). Tbh my whole little family of Mandalorians iirc don't align with either side, but are more inclined towards the Republic (mainly just the Republic Military and the Jedi), I would really love a story arc where the BH gives the current Mandalore a run for his money, poking holes in his claim as Mandalore. :D

True, but some did train the clones to be the warriors they were, heck the clone commandos were basically Mandalorian themselves.

Well, the smuggler gets a mandalorian companion too.

So at least some seem to be on the republic side (even if only as mercenaries)

Her clan was betrayed and wiped out by an imperial officer. She is the only survivor, and doesn't so much serve the republic as ally herself with a powerful character while she seeks vengeance. Haven't got to the end of her story yet.