Your favourite Star Wars ideology,

Rayla_Felana

What is your favourite mindset or ideology in Star Wars that you also apply to all your characters? whether it be in the Jedi Academy series, this game, the KotOR series or other role-playing games set in Star Wars, video game or otherwise. Even just the mentality you think you would adopt as someone living in that universe, To give an example I shall start with mine:

The Republic is everything, I will use what ever power as a Jedi Sentinel I have in the force to defend it, I shall deal out death and justice to any of the Republic and Jedi Order's enemies, especially the Sith, in a swift fashion, I will get the job done and take no risks, a Sith has already given up their right to freedom and by necessity, life.. by devoting their existence to gaining power regardless of the consequences and by placing themselves over all others.

I will extinguish the Sith threat at any cost, I will use my power and iron will to deal out death to the Sith once and for all, even as it costs me my own morality and humaninty in turn.

Edited by Rayla_Felana

Probably the Je'daii Code. I apply it to virtually every Force-user I play :o

There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.

There is no fear; there is power.

I am the heart of the Force.

I am the revealing fire of light.

I am the mystery of darkness

In balance with chaos and harmony,

Immortal in the Force.

Mainly the New Jedi Order's Code,

Jedi are the guardians of peace in the galaxy.

Jedi use their powers to defend and to protect.

Jedi respect all life, in any form.

Jedi serve others rather than ruling over them, for the good of the galaxy.

Jedi seek to improve themselves through knowledge and training.

It depends on my class.

Trooper: Life, Liberty and the pursuit of anybody who threatens it.

Smuggler: Kinda Mal Renholds view. Gotta ship, got my crew, get a job, get paid, keep flying.

IA: I am here to do a job, i will use any and all means to get the job done. When the job is done tie it off and then disappear.

Bounty Hunter: I have a contract, i will complete it. Not a word more not a blaster bolt less. I don't kill for fun, and i don't go after kids. Got a job, i'll take the money.

Most of my characters, from a role playing perspective, attempt take each situation as they come and act upon their (or my) morals. Usually this leads them to behave in the way one would expect from a Jedi (primarily play Jedi characters), however there are exceptions.

For one, such characters usually find both the Republic and the Jedi Order flawed, in some way or another, and they view neither as the absolute moral compass/ideology, but instead seek to use them as guidelines; accepting teachings they believe it worthy to strive for, but not those they disagree with. They are pro freedom, which isn't necessarily the freedom the Republic offers. It is because of this they might disagree with the Council, or a Senator's, decision and act in their own way, and it is because of this they might take black or grey routes if they believe it will benefit the greater good. For instance, during the Mandalorian Wars they probably would have disobeyed the Council and followed The Revanchist in his crusade, which ultimately would have led them to a tragic end.

They might even dabble in the darkside if needed to overcome adversity for a good cause, hopefully being able to walk the line and stay primarily light but with dark powers to call upon when needed; however it is just as possible they'd fall to the darkside, no matter how noble their goals.

They do not believe in generalizations; not all Sith are evil and must be destroyed, nor are all Jedi bastions of light. There is always a place for redemption, but if it causes greater risk then simply ending the threat can be viewed as acceptable.

Edited by MyDarkSunshine

This is the most interesting thread I've ever seen!

Well as far as ideology goes, I've got different morals and beliefs for different characters. I'll give you my main character's ideals:

Have you ever seen the movie titled Defiance? Probably not. My character is a lot like the main character there. He seeks to destroy the Sith, but he does not want to become like them. He believes that the ends often do justify the means, but he holds his morality in high regard. He believes that it is very important to defeat the Sith, but he longs to maintain a spiritual direction. He hates to see corruption, which is why he longs to keep himself in the light. Altough he is a Jedi, his views vary from theirs a bit.

As far as how he looks toward the Republic, I'd compare him to Braveheart (I'm just full of movie analogies lol). He fights for the Republic because of its people. He holds virtually no respect for the corrupt senators, and will often blatantly disobey them. This is something that makes him a very unpopular Jedi.

Altough he is a very moral man, once he is on the battlefield he is (once again) like Braveheart, meaning he's a beast.

Trooper: As a soldier of the republic I see it as my job to destroy the imperial threats without the galaxy even if it means a few innocents haft to die along the way. But in the long run those innocents that died will help save 1000s more with there sacrifice. I also think that we should just wipe out the empire but the senate and the Jedi would disagre and would rather debate and make peace.

My characters are normally dark side. But I like Kreia's teachings, I managed to dig up a few:

"If you seek to aid everyone that suffers in the galaxy, you will only weaken yourself… and weaken them. It is the internal struggles, when fought and won on their own, that yield the strongest rewards. You stole that struggle from them, cheapened it. If you care for others, then dispense with pity and sacrifice and recognize the value in letting them fight their own battles. And when they triumph, they will be even stronger for the victory."

"Direct action is not always the best way. It is a far greater victory to make another see through your eyes than to close theirs forever."

"It is not the destination that matters—it is the journey."

"Take the greatest Jedi Knight, strip away the Force, and what remains? They rely on it, depend on it, more than they know. Watch as one tries to hold a blaster, as they try to hold a lightsaber, and you will see nothing more than a woman – or a man. A child."

"A culture's teachings, and most importantly, the nature of its people, achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves… or find themselves lacking."

"Apathy is death."

"It is such a quiet thing to fall... but far more terrible as to admit it." (I especially like this one, people who do evil never actually think they are doing evil)

"Do or Do Not... There Is No Try."

I always liked this ideology even though I am not a fan of Yoda or the way he talks. I think this quote applies to all of my characters. I realize it's a very common quote but it works for me.

Edited by Tomb-Stone

I think that Revan had it figured out the best. The Jedi and Sith castrate themselves by only using half of the force

Half the force? the force isn't some cake, one half Light, one half Dark, you are always using the 'whole' force, but the way in which you are effected by the force is what takes you down a certain path.

Regardless, Kreia came up with the idea of not relying on one side or the other, problem was, she was in denial and had actually been a pretty obvious Dark Sider all along.

Half the force? the force isn't some cake, one half Light, one half Dark, you are always using the 'whole' force, but the way in which you are effected by the force is what takes you down a certain path.

Regardless, Kreia came up with the idea of not relying on one side or the other, problem was, she was in denial and had actually been a pretty obvious Dark Sider all along.

Kreia did not come up with it... the Je'daii Order at least was doing it 30,000+ years before she was even born

also worth pointing out the whole "there is no light or dark there is just the force" (the Unifying Force view) is not really held in GL's lore and is said (by Luke and others) to be incorrect in the latest EU lore... Luke even refers to it as a false theory a sith infiltrator (Vergere) tried to introduce... not saying it couldn't be correct or won't be brought back into lore later tho because it's never stated as wrong in the EU by fact just by character dialog and hey they could be wrong... we also have the whole "white current" (which Luke claims to be an offshoot of the normal force) and Aing-Tii "rainbow force" things...

Edited by Liquidacid

Kreia did not come up with it... the Je'daii Order at least was doing it 30,000+ years before she was even born

also worth pointing out the whole "there is no light or dark there is just the force" (the Unifying Force view) is not really held in GL's lore and is said (by Luke and others) to be incorrect in the latest EU lore... Luke even refers to it as a false theory a sith infiltrator (Vergere) tried to introduce... not saying it couldn't be correct or won't be brought back into lore later tho because it's never stated as wrong in the EU by fact just by character dialog and hey they could be wrong... we also have the whole "white current" (which Luke claims to be an offshoot of the normal force) and Aing-Tii "rainbow force" things...

No no, Kreia was simply saying all the answers can't be found down one path or the other, she is saying to experience both and then have the wider view which gives much greater power. "You must see the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal.'(that might be slightly off.), the Je'daii were quite different in their beliefs.

I wasn't talking about the unifying force at all, the Dark Side or the Light Side aren't half of a whole, they are traversed by doing certain things, through certain actions and mindsets.

No no, Kreia was simply saying all the answers can't be found down one path or the other, she is saying to experience both and then have the wider view which gives much greater power. "You must see the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal.'(that might be slightly off.), the Je'daii were quite different in their beliefs.

I wasn't talking about the unifying force at all, the Dark Side or the Light Side aren't half of a whole, they are traversed by doing certain things, through certain actions and mindsets.

again what Kreia was doing was the same thing the Je'daii Order did... they believed to understand the force you had to live in "balance" and experience both the light and dark... the only difference was that Kreia was full of crap and obviously dark side even after claiming to "view both sides" while the Je'daii actually did view and use both sides to get a better perspective

also you don't seem to be getting what the unifying force is... it says light and dark are not separate halves of the force but that the force is just the force and light and dark depend on how you use it and your intentions... which sounds exactly like the same thing you are talking about... as far as the Jedi in lore are concerned they overwhelmingly believe the Light and Darkside ARE 2 halves of the whole that is the force and that you could draw from either one

Edited by Liquidacid

again what Kreia was doing was the same thing the Je'daii Order did... they believed to understand the force you had to live in "balance" and experience both the light and dark... the only difference was that Kreia was full of crap and obviously dark side even after claiming to "view both sides" while the Je'daii actually did view and use both sides to get a better perspective

also you don't seem to be getting what the unifying force is... it says light and dark are not separate halves of the force but that the force is just the force and light and dark depend on how you use it and your intentions... which sounds exactly the same thing you are talking about...

/Facepalm.

/facepalm.

It is not the same thing at all, she wanted people to be able to go down both paths and be able to seek moderation, as she had done and realise that the force was NOT a good thing and that it held no real truths, problem was, she was too vengeful to be able to deny the Dark Side.

I stated something entirely different, I am stating your emotions and actions or lack thereof decide whether or not you go down one path or the other, how is that the unifying force?

Please finally realise that I was correcting someone claiming that Jedi and Sith only use 'one half' of the force.

/Facepalm.

/facepalm.

It is not the same thing at all, she wanted people to be able to go down both paths and be able to seek moderation, as she had done and realise that the force was NOT a good thing and that it held no real truths, problem was, she was too vengeful to be able to deny the Dark Side.

I stated something entirely different, I am stating your emotions and actions or lack thereof decide whether or not you go down one path or the other, how is that the unifying force?

Please finally realise that I was correcting someone claiming that Jedi and Sith only use 'one half' of the force.

going down both paths to seek moderation? how is that different than using and viewing both paths (going down) and finding a balance (moderation) from it? the Je'daii did exactly what she was saying to do only the actually DID find balance and moderation... well for a time anyway.. Kreia also drew a different conclusion from it but then again she was tainted and darkside anyway... but anyway no she did not come up with the idea numerous other sects and groups tried and did it before... numerous other individuals went down both paths to see both sides before her

as far as emotions and actions dictating the path... yes your emotions and actions decide if you become light or dark to an extent but that does not disprove the fact the Jedi, GL and the lore say that the light and Dark are two separate parts of the force thus a Jedi would only use the light side which is 1 of those 2... so saying they only used 1/2 is perfectly correct as a generalized statement meaning they were only using one of the two parts of it instead of all (both sides) of it... which is what he seemed to mean

Edited by Liquidacid

going down both paths to seek moderation? how is that different than using and viewing both paths (going down) and finding a balance (moderation) from it? the Je'daii did exactly what she was saying to do only the actually DID find balance and moderation... well for a time anyway.. but anyway no she did not come up with the idea numerous other sects and groups tried and did it before

as far as emotions and actions dictating the path... yes your emotions and actions decide if you become light or dark to an extent but that does not disprove the fact the Jedi, GL and the lore say that the light and Dark are two separate parts of the force thus say a Jedi would only use the light side which is 1 of those 2... so saying they only used 1/2, while maybe not 100 percent accurate because we don't know the size difference between the light and dark side, is perfectly correct as a generalized statement meaning they were only using part of it instead of all (both sides) of it

Because her plan was to be free of it's influence, to be able to know the force well enough to not let it control you, it is the exact opposite of what the Je'daii wanted to do, same method, totally opposing results.

You are taking that in the completely wrong direction, the light side and the Dark Side of the force are of the force, that is what I am saying, they are not mutually exclusive or totally different things, they are different parts of the force, they are different ways of using the force, by wielding the Dark Side, you aren't missing out on power, as they are just the two different ways of using the force, yes they are different, but they aren't anything but the force, choosing one doesn't mean you lose any power of the other.

There are different abilities and techniques that can be learnt, that are exclusive to one path, but it doesn't mean you are only empowered by half of the force, there is no 'half' to the force, just the force.

Edited by Rayla_Felana

Because her plan was to be free of it's influence, to be able to know the force well enough to not let it control you, it is the exact opposite of what the Je'daii wanted to do, same method, totally opposing results.

You are taking that in the completely wrong direction, the light side and the Dark Side of the force are of the force, that is what I am saying, they are not mutually exclusive or totally different things, they are different parts of the force, they are different ways of using the force, by wielding the Dark Side, you aren't missing out on power, as they are just the two different ways of using the force, yes they are different, but they aren't anything but the force, choosing one doesn't mean you lose any power of the other.

There are different abilities and techniques that can be learnt, that are exclusive to one path, but it doesn't mean you are only empowered by half of the force, there is no 'half' to the force, just the force.

see again the Jedi in lore believe that the light and dark side while both parts of the force are mutually exclusive... they believe when you draw on the light side you are ONLY drawing on the light "part" of the force and vice verse for the dark side... the Unifying force theory is the one that says there is just the force and that light and dark are just different "ways" of accessing it... neither the Jedi nor the Sith believe in that.. they believe, well the majority of them anyway, the light and dark are two separate parts.. which is where his "only using 1/2" comment came from... it's also very similar to Bane's reasoning (which he actually got in part from Revan's holocron) behind the rule of two because he felt there were to many sith drawing on the dark side "spreading it out to thin" and that if there were LESS sith they could draw on more of the darkside since they didn't have to share it

again as I said the lore has never specifically stated they are separate or just different ways of using the same thing as an absolute fact... in lore it is said either way (and others) as in universe theories force users have believed... tho it is again worth noting in GL's works he always refers to the light and dark side as two separate parts

I personally believe they will keep the "true" nature and workings of the force as a mystery always kind of like say religion is in real life... it's just more interesting that way... think of all the story lines in the EU that revolve around different people having different opinions of what or how the force works... the whole mystery of the force deal is a big part of the SW IP

Edited by Liquidacid

Far as the force goes there is no lightside/darkside within the force ITSELF.

It simply is, the force, not light, not dark simply is. WE AS BEINGS are light and dark, and the force will simply reflect that and amplify that in a person.

I think when yoda says 'go down the darkside, forever will it dominate your destiny", i think this is the darkside of humanity is more seductive. Easier to get things, easier to get POWER which some people crave.

Again, the force ITSELF is not light nor dark, simply is. We as beings are light and dark.

Far as the force goes there is no lightside/darkside within the force ITSELF.

It simply is, the force, not light, not dark simply is. WE AS BEINGS are light and dark, and the force will simply reflect that and amplify that in a person.

I think when yoda says 'go down the darkside, forever will it dominate your destiny", i think this is the darkside of humanity is more seductive. Easier to get things, easier to get POWER which some people crave.

Again, the force ITSELF is not light nor dark, simply is. We as beings are light and dark.

again that is the Unifying force theory which GL did not use and which Luke himself in the latest lore has stated to be incorrect... it's simply one of the many "theories" about the true nature of the force... but it's not the one the majority of the Sith or Jedi believe in ... but as I said the actual "true" nature and working of the force have never been stated in lore as absolutes... all we are given are different people and groups views, theories and beliefs on the matter... we also have the Potentium theory some believed in and then the Aing-Tii monks "rainbow" force beleif

Edited by Liquidacid

No actually it hasn't. Even luke skywalker said that there is a light and dark side, but it's NOT the force, PEOPLE are light and dark. I think he said it around the time of the Unseen Queen.

Force is simply just that, THE FORCE. Just like a rock is a rock. Pick it up and throw it at somebody with ill intent, that is evil and dark. But a simple rock just sitting there isn't evil. Just as the force is. Force simply amplifies and echoes how it is used.

Unifying force concept says there is no light and dark PERIOD. My concept is that the force simply is, it's actions and inside each person to be light or dark, kind of like yin/yang concept.

No actually it hasn't. Even luke skywalker said that there is a light and dark side, but it's NOT the force, PEOPLE are light and dark. I think he said it around the time of the Unseen Queen.

Force is simply just that, THE FORCE. Just like a rock is a rock. Pick it up and throw it at somebody with ill intent, that is evil and dark. But a simple rock just sitting there isn't evil. Just as the force is. Force simply amplifies and echoes how it is used.

Unifying force concept says there is no light and dark PERIOD. My concept is that the force simply is, it's actions and inside each person to be light or dark, kind of like yin/yang concept.

ah see your referencing the Unseen Queen... in the FoTJ series Luke specifically makes reference to that being an incorrect theory that was introduced to them by a Sith infiltrator (Vergere)... he goes on later to state specifically that for a JEDI there are two separate sides of the force itself and that is the way it has to be for them (after he met up with the Aing-tii monks and Ben questioned him about their rainbow force views) ... again as I said tho the majority of the Jedi/Sith of the old and Luke's new order believe the light and dark to be two separate parts of the force (the Living Force theory)... and while your actions and intents dictate which you use you are drawing from one or the other as they are two separate things... also Unifying force doesn't state there is no light or dark... just that the force it self doesn't inherently have separate light or dark it is just is and how you use it makes it light or dark...

but again in SW lore there is no absolute answer to how the force is or works... just different theories and beliefs held by different groups of beings who use it...

oddly Palpatine subscribed to the Unifying force theory

Edited by Liquidacid

I'm going to have to disagree with you both here concerning Kreia. She wasn't actually that interested in light or dark, she wasn't saying you should live in balance at all. She hated the Force, her actual point was that you should break away from it all together, and not be so dependent on the Force. Ultimately she wanted the death of the Force, which doesn't exactly fit in with the idea of being a gray jedi. Not sure where on earth you got that idea from :p So really her beliefs had nothing to do with the Je'daii Order at all.

EDIT: The only thing she was in denial about (all though not really as she realised this) was that she herself was dependent on the Force and had therefore failed her ideals. But hey, breaking away from the Force is no easy task.

Edited by Beniboybling

I'm going to have to disagree with you both here concerning Kreia. She wasn't actually that interested in light or dark, she wasn't saying you should live in balance at all. She hated the Force, her actual point was that you should break away from it all together, and not be so dependent on the Force. Ultimately she wanted the death of the Force, which doesn't exactly fit in with the idea of being a gray jedi. Not sure where on earth you got that idea from :p So really her beliefs had nothing to do with the Je'daii Order at all.

EDIT: The only thing she was in denial about (all though not really as she realised this) was that she herself was dependent on the Force and had therefore failed her ideals. But hey, breaking away from the Force is no easy task.

my point was that Kreia wasn't the first to come up with the idea of viewing both sides of it to come to a more complete understanding... she and the Je'daii did the exact same thing they just drew radically different conclusions from it... the Je'daii did it and said "hey this is great we need to continue to do it and live in balance" while Kreia did it and said "hey the force sucks"