Can we expect the lag to die down once the transfers are done?

Dawginole

Wondering if BW moving player data all throughout the day across servers is causing a spike in lag. Because even in instanced events it's pretty awful right now which seems to indicate it's not just due to large numbers of people in one area like fleet for instance. While unlikely, hoping someone from the dev team might be able to comment on this.

My guess is any lag you are experiencing is more of the increased server load, rather than the transfer thing.

Meaning that it may go down when people stop all logging in at once.

One of the many reasons I'm not up to the whole transfer game at this time.

Wondering if BW moving player data all throughout the day across servers is causing a spike in lag. Because even in instanced events it's pretty awful right now which seems to indicate it's not just due to large numbers of people in one area like fleet for instance. While unlikely, hoping someone from the dev team might be able to comment on this.

While I have seen it stutter a few times in the fleet with a lot of people. I dont get lag too often.

Although I was getting some odd lag in a huttball match today. My ping time was low so the latency bar wasn't red, but a few people were hitching a lot(oh wait, they must have been hacking! off to make a thread about hackers!)

While I have seen it stutter a few times in the fleet with a lot of people. I dont get lag too often.

Although I was getting some odd lag in a huttball match today. My ping time was low so the latency bar wasn't red, but a few people were hitching a lot(oh wait, they must have been hacking! off to make a thread about hackers!)

My guild noticed it pretty much everywhere, with the exception of fighting Voss wb we had pretty much no lag. So go figure on that one. I'm seeing about 50ms ping, which is what I had on Valkar with 20 people on fleet and none anywhere else.

I noticed a great deal of ability delay in WZ's throughout the day, and ability stutter where it was apparent my client was seeing an enemy player in front of me and trying to start the ability but they were actually away from me.

Maybe just some additional server optimization which may come with time since they haven't really been able to test a lot of servers with this number of players on simultaneously to this point.

If the question is will the transfer surge drop off, the answer is yes, it will. Concurrent play will drop off. The result is still going to be a higher population, though.

We have 300+ on Fleet. Lots of activity on every single planet, but the only place there is lag is the Fleet. 1.3 and the Group Finder will alleviate that, though, as you'll be able to queue up for group content from anywhere. This will result in nice population without lag anywhere.

My guild noticed it pretty much everywhere, with the exception of fighting Voss wb we had pretty much no lag. So go figure on that one. I'm seeing about 50ms ping, which is what I had on Valkar with 20 people on fleet and none anywhere else.

I noticed a great deal of ability delay in WZ's throughout the day, and ability stutter where it was apparent my client was seeing an enemy player in front of me and trying to start the ability but they were actually away from me.

Maybe just some additional server optimization which may come with time since they haven't really been able to test a lot of servers with this number of players on simultaneously to this point.

I do hear that there is some client optimizations in 1.3. but i also know they are working on increasing the population cap on all existing servers. i thought this was in 1.3 as well, but im not quite sure anymore. so that could help with any lag you're seeing.

if it's possible to get the ip address or hostname of the server you play on. you could try running a traceroute(tracert command) to the server and see if there's any issues with the route. but if there was, then the latency should be higher than the 50ms you're seeing. that alone tells me that it's not really lag(unless thats false information) from the internet. . .but more about the server limits themselves.

Me since launch:

I´m pretty sure BW has a good amount of experts sitting on constantly improving the engine in the background.

To me the performance has increased since 1.0, but there is still a lot more room for improvement.

Me today after the transfer:

I noticed while I thought FPS/Lag improved, the population e.g. on fleet was going down.

I need to admit I THOUGHT the performance increased, but there were less and less people present.

Now i´m on the new server with 300+ people and got a lot of screen freezes again on fleet while running around.

Monitoring Internet bandwidth, there are massive amounts of data going up and down while online, that is where the lag is coming from, this game is sending and receiving significantly more data than other MMOs I´ve played. Guess they need to find a way to strip down the data transfer amount.

hope so, I have almost never had lag in this game before but im getting signifigant pockets at times.

And loading times seem to have tripled this past week

I've had some stutter issues, but my real problem comes from the 250+ in fleet. I'd love to see that cap lowered to 150, and that way the 2nd instance doesn't depopulate so often.

That 2nd instance is a god-send for low to mid-spec'ers, or those who want to browse the market with less lag or page freezes.

I've had some stutter issues, but my real problem comes from the 250+ in fleet. I'd love to see that cap lowered to 150, and that way the 2nd instance doesn't depopulate so often.

That 2nd instance is a god-send for low to mid-spec'ers, or those who want to browse the market with less lag or page freezes.

Yeah, having 2 or 3 instances of the fleet would certainly help.

The worst is the ability delays. We had to abandon our raid because the abilities of our players are not responding in time. As a healer it is a helpless feeling to not be able to cast a heal because the game is so slow that it appears the cooldown on your previously casted ability is twice what it normally is.

If you have lag now after the transfer to a busier server, expect it to continue.. until people stop playing and logging on.. 90% of the lag and FPS problems now are client side, not server side.. You might want to move back to a lower population server to get better performance.. lol

If you have lag now after the transfer to a busier server, expect it to continue.. until people stop playing and logging on.. 90% of the lag and FPS problems now are client side, not server side.. You might want to move back to a lower population server to get better performance.. lol

Lag is not client side unless you have an issue with your internet connection. Abilities taking .5-1 second or longer to fire off is server side, not client. Delayed movement is server side, not client. That's kind of the definition of lag. I experience ability delays in pvp on the new server and not my old. What changed? The server, not my pc. They really need to work on optimizing the client / server communication and server processing. I don't mind going from 25 fps in the fleet to 9, but ability delays in pvp are not fun.

Lag is not client side unless you have an issue with your internet connection. Abilities taking .5-1 second or longer to fire off is server side, not client. Delayed movement is server side, not client. That's kind of the definition of lag. I experience ability delays in pvp on the new server and not my old. What changed? The server, not my pc. They really need to work on optimizing the client / server communication and server processing. I don't mind going from 25 fps in the fleet to 9, but ability delays in pvp are not fun.

Wrong genius.. lag can exist on either side.. Lag is ONLY means the ability to process information traveling both ways.. What I'm saying is that with increased population in small areas.. It's normally the client side lag unable to process the information coming in from server.. If you want to make it all about , "this is Bio's fault" then do so.. That is your option.. BTW Genius.. When I'm playing with a friends and they have better computers then me , and I lag and they don't.. That proves to me it's client side.. NOT server.. Think about it..

Wrong genius.. lag can exist on either side.. Lag is ONLY means the ability to process information traveling both ways.. What I'm saying is that with increased population in small areas.. It's normally the client side lag unable to process the information coming in from server.. If you want to make it all about , "this is Bio's fault" then do so.. That is your option.. BTW Genius.. When I'm playing with a friends and they have better computers then me , and I lag and they don't.. That proves to me it's client side.. NOT server.. Think about it..

you're wrong my good sir.

you're wrong my good sir.

Ahh another genius.. Tell us how lag is "always" server side and never client side.... Tell us how when a group of 4 people team up and only ONE person of 4 lags.. It's server side.. I'm all eyes... Educate us..

Hi all,

Because we have an ongoing discussion thread regarding concerns about overpopulation on destination servers, including concerns about latency on the destination servers, we're going to close this thread and ask that the community continue to use the existing thread on this topic in order to consolidate the discussion:

Serious overloading of servers

Thank you for your understanding!