Cartel Coin/Currencies general question

MSchuyler

OK. So we have several different "currencies" to use. I'm fishing for the relative value of all of them. In other words, what is each currency best used for? I think I've figured out that credits are earned in-game and best used for in-game requirements like fixing gear, selling junk, and purchasing in-game items such as stims and medpacs. By and large I have not used credits to buy fluff.

Commendations, on the other hand, seem to be good for upgrading armor for you and your companion, especially if you have not gained such items through drops, So when given a choice between taking an item of marginal quality or taking a commendation, I take the latter and spend it later.

Cartel Coins are a bit of a mystery to me. I get a monthly allotment, and I can actually buy more! But what are they best used for? I bought a one-line expansion to my inventory, but that seemed awfully expensive after the fact, especially as I learned how to better manage my inventory. I did that on my first toon, but no others. I'm not really all that interested in tricking out my guys with stuff that has no in-game advantage. I need to strengthen them a lot more than I need them to look pretty.

Any ideas or thoughts on the matter?

Are you a subscriber? if you are, there's not much there for you.

Take note that many of the Cartel Market items are available on the GTN as well, a lot of players sell them for affordable credit prices.

You might wanna look at the Cosmetic sections and Packs, the latter grant you cool random stuff! :)

Cartel Market is really just a way for them to squeeze money from people who want to play F2P.

There's a few cool armour pieces in the cartel market, as they are all 'shells' you can buy them and put your own mods in them (some come with mods). Though, really that's about it.

Cartel Coins are a bit of a mystery to me. I get a monthly allotment, and I can actually buy more! But what are they best used for? I bought a one-line expansion to my inventory, but that seemed awfully expensive after the fact, especially as I learned how to better manage my inventory. I did that on my first toon, but no others. I'm not really all that interested in tricking out my guys with stuff that has no in-game advantage. I need to strengthen them a lot more than I need them to look pretty.

Any ideas or thoughts on the matter?

If you're a sub and a bit of an altoholic, getting the inventory unlocks account wide is the way to go. Saves you in game money from opening them up. 4, or 5 if you bought one line isn't bad but when you can roll a new toon and have all 8 lines available, it really does help immensely. Especially once you start crafting and carrying all those resources around.

Next I went for cargo hold unlocks after I got my inventory limit to 80. Those seemed like the most useful way to spend the monthly allotment. After that, it's all fluff and cosmetic.

Like you said Commendations are the best way to level up your gear in that providing you have custom orange/purple or adaptive gear you just upgarde the mod from the commendation mod vendors. Most quest rewards seem to offer Commendations as a option aswell as getting some from drops aswell and unless the gear is a lot better than what I have or is custom and worth using I always go for for the commendations as rewards. You can easily get 50 or more if you do all the quests on each planent.

I am pretty new to the game and I have not actually really browsed the Cartel Market yet. The new Contraband vendors on the fleet seem to have some good gear (Which is legacy Bound I think) mind and you can earn newcomer status by buying certain packs from the cartel market to get your status going with these vendors.

Credits are best saved for repairs, crew skills, Arguments Kit installs and buying the arguments themselves (Which at MK-9 is big bucks) and once you have all Cutsom gear you like the look of there is no need to buy any more armour gear, just mod it up.

For a subscriber, in my opinion, cartel coins are best used to get the look you want for your characters - find a chest piece or a set of gear you really like and buy it. Once you do that, like I did, buy a cartel pack or two a month to get some fluff stuff.

If you're a sub and a bit of an altoholic, getting the inventory unlocks account wide is the way to go. Saves you in game money from opening them up. 4, or 5 if you bought one line isn't bad but when you can roll a new toon and have all 8 lines available, it really does help immensely. Especially once you start crafting and carrying all those resources around.

Next I went for cargo hold unlocks after I got my inventory limit to 80. Those seemed like the most useful way to spend the monthly allotment. After that, it's all fluff and cosmetic.

The mailbox and GTN kiosk on your ship is also very useful.

I haven't bought any extra coins but have been using them to open up extra xp's. Such as 6% extra xp for adventureing or completeing quests. I find that to be far more usefull.... especially when the first slot opens at 10k Cred's the second at 20k and just keeps going up. But when I use my cartel coins that I get for free... I think it's 175 for each slot and never goes up. But as a side note... I will spend up to 20K creds to buy the slots then after that flip over to the coins. Getting 20K creds in this game just doesn't seem to be an issue.

But after that ... I just can't seem to justify it. :cool: