Kaggath Battlegrounds Semi-Finals: Republic Resistance vs Republic Reborn

Beniboybling

“No game of dejarik can be won without pawns...”

Round 1: The Republic Resistance vs The Republic Reborn

Welcome to the first round of Battlegrounds Semi-Finals. Where instead of the entire galaxy, combatants will compete in planetary arena, where every soldier, stronghold and ship counts.

For all those of you aren’t aware, the Kaggath is an ancient rite of the Sith, ‘one part duel, one part large-scale dejarik-match’. The two combatants have full use of their power bases, be it armies, strongholds or fleets, in order to outwit and outmanoeuvre their opponent. But the Kaggath is no simple lightsaber duel, although it can come down to one, and the arena can be anywhere: a planet, star system or the entire galaxy.

Before we begin, let’s go over the ground rules:

• The arena: Coruscant – see the faction rundowns for BOEs.
  • #1 The Kaggath is won or lost when the leader of either faction is killed.
  • #2 No outside help of any kind, the combatants cannot call upon assets outside their power base or influence.
  • #3 No outside involvement, other powers will not and cannot interrupt or affect the battle, for the purpose of argument they are non-existent.
  • #4 No surrender, fight to the death!
  • #5 Apathy is death. Factions are not allowed to hide or wait. They must act.
  • #6 Technology level is universal (unless considered archaic or advanced at the time): blaster fire, armouring, lightsabers etc. are all the same regardless of period, all that matters is size, quantity and power.
  • #7 Factions are autonomous – players have no control over their faction’s decisions, this is instead determined by the nature of their leadership.

Read the full rulebook here.

So, the combatants: Amassed at heart of the galaxy and cradle of the Republic two champions of peace, justice and civilisation prepare to do battle, and so prove who is most worthy of restoring the Old Order. LadyKulvax’s Republic Resistance has combined the Golden Age of the Jedi with the most powerful armies that the Republic ever known. While Selenial’s Republic Reborn challenges them with a combination of ancient heroes and soldiers with the far flung rebels of the future.

Behold the factions!

The Republic Resistance

Base of Operations: Temple District

Leadership

Head of State: Grand Master Sunrider

Second-in-Command: Mace Windu

Allies: Commander Cody & Nek Bwua’tu

Supplier: Kuat Drive Yards [Kuat]

Organisation: Republic Intelligence [Coruscant]

Ground Forces

Major Ground Force: Clone Troopers/Third Systems Army [2,304]

Minor Ground Force: Jedi Knights/PT [50]

Light Vehicle: Unstable Terrain Artillery Transport (UT-AT) [34]

2nd Light Vehicle: XR-85 Tank Droid/3m [34]

Heavy Vehicle: HAVw A6 Juggernaut [9]

Naval Forces

Fighter Class: CF9 Crossfire starfighter

Bomber Class: I4 Ionizer starfighter

Elite Class: X-83 TwinTail starfighter

Light Capital Ship: Acclamator I-class assault ship [13]

Heavy Capital Ship: Venator-class star destroyer [6]

Flagship: Imperious-class star destroyer

Naval Crew: Grand Army of the Republic

vs

The Republic Reborn

Base of Operations: Senate District

Leadership

Head of State: Jedi Master Revan

Second-in-Command: Jedi Master Surik

Allies: Jace Malcolm & General Antilles

Supplier: Hutt Cartel [Makeb]

Organisation: Strategic Information Service [Tatooine]

Ground Forces

Minor Ground Force: Republic SpecForce [500]

Minor Ground Force: Alliance Infiltrators [40]

Minor Ground Force: Revanchists [50]

Light Vehicle: TX-130 Saber-class tank [22]

2nd Light Vehicle: T-47 airspeeder [22]

Heavy Vehicle: MPTL-2a [4]

Naval Forces

Fighter Class: X-Wing starfighter

Bomber Class: B-Wing starfighter

Elite Class: BT-Y Thunderclap

Light Capital Ship: Hammerhead-class cruiser [13]

2nd Light Capital Ship: Endurance-class fleet carrier [5]

Heavy Capital Ship: Interdictor-class cruiser [18]

Flagship: Viscount-class star defender [battlecruiser prototype]

Naval Crew: Galactic Republic [Great War era]

For the right to govern the galaxy as a Republic both sides have agreed to the terms of battle. Will the golden age of the Jedi, and powerful hand of the Republic triumph, or will Revan’s faction reborn as a combination of old and new prove superior? It’s the battle of heroes, but who will win? The battle lines have been drawn…

Let the Kaggath begin!

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, so the Arbiter for this match will be Aurbere, again!

Things to note for this match are as follows:

• The X-Wings in question are the T65-XJ model.

• Just to be clear, the X-85 tank droid in question is the 3 metre variant.

• Interdictors are pre-Rakatan upgrades, if any such upgrades were ever received.

• In terms of the Viscounts' batteries, it will have the guns of the dreadnought variant scaled down based on size. Giving approx. 350 heavy turbolaser batteries, 350 turbolaser batteries, 35 concussion missiles, 50 ion cannons, 90 point-defence cannons and 7 tractor beam projectors.

And that will be all for now. Later down the line I'll be posting points of interest for the battleground but until then I hand over my powers to Aurbere, take it away!

Edited by Beniboybling

Haha what? You literally said a week ago that the Hutts could supply fighters as my supplier. There's a trillion people on Coruscant, and whilst I don't have Ziro, for the purposes of this her assets are mine. The underworld will bow :jawa_evil:

I am empress! Conquerer of the Galaxy and slayer of queens! :p

#28 The role of an organisation is to provide anything else such as intelligence, criminal influence, black market assets, technology etc. they are also able to provide armour and armaments but not in large quantities, nor can they be a manufacturer.

Suppliers can't field anything in large quantities, I believe this was brought up in your last match when you argued that the Hutt Cartel could bring in a fleet, it cannot.

If you want to argue that somehow the Hutt Cartel can gather together 500 independent and willing pilots from the Coruscant underworld alone with military grade fighters and weaponry then be my guest, but unfortunately they cannot do this prior to the space battle, so they will be largerly useless I'm afraid. No pirate fleet for you. :p

EDIT: This is OR Hutt Cartel, so no Ziro.

Edited by Beniboybling

Flag-ship comparison:

Imperious-class Star Destroyer

Length: >1,600

Shielding: Able to withstand the Outer Rim Third Fleet.

Hyperdrive Rating: Class 0.75

Armament:

Significantly more than a Pallaeon-class.

Complement:

Starfighters(60)

VS

Viscount-class Battlecruiser Prototype

Length: 3,000 meters.

Shielding: Back-up shield generators

Armament:

*As designated by Beni, though I have to point out there is no way the turbolasers/hvy turbos on this ship are batteries or they'd have more firepower than the 17km variant*

350 Heavy Turbolasers

350 Turbolasers

50 Ion Cannons

35 Concussion Missile Launchers

90 Point-Defense Cannons

7 Tractor Beam projectors

Heavy Capital Ship comparison:

Venator-class Star Destroyer[6]

Length: 1,137 meters

Width: 548 meters

Height: 268 meters

Maximum Acceleration: 3,000 G

Maximum Atmospheric Speed: 975km/h

Hyperdrive rating: Class 1.0

Hyperdrive range: 60,000 light years (effective)

Power output: 3,6 x 10'24W

Power plant: Hypermatter annihilation reactor

Shielding: 3,200 SBD

Hull: Neutronium Impregnated Durasteel.

Armament:

8 DBY-827 Heavy Dual turbolasers

2 Medium dual turbolaser cannons

8 Turbolaser cannons

52 Point-Defense laser cannons

6 Tractor Beam Projectors

4 Heavy Proton Torpedo Tubes (16 Torpedoes each)

Complement:

420 Starfighters

40 Gunships

24 Military Walkers

Various Shuttles

1 Prefabricated Garrison Base.

VS

Interdictor-class Cruiser[18]

Length: 600km

Hyperdrive Rating: Class 2.0

Armament:

25 Quad Turbolaser Cannons

30 Point-Defense Cannons

4 Gravity-Well Projectors

3 Tractor-Beam Batteries(4 tractor beams each)

Complement:

48 Sith Interceptors

2 Shuttles

DBY-827 Dual Heavy Turbolasers are worth 2 heavy turbolasers on a standard setting, but with full power are stated to be worth 12 heavy turbolasers, that is 96 heavies vs essentially 100 standard turbolasers. Adding the rest of the Venator's weaponry in here there is really no comparison, 1 Venator has the firepower of 2 Interdictors without a doubt.

Light Capital Ship comparison:

Acclamator I-class Assault Ship(Fighter Carrier variant)[13]

Length: 752 meters

Width: 460 meters

Height: 183 meters(in flight)

Maximum Atmospheric Speed: 1,200km/h

Maximum Acceleration: 3,500 G

Hyperdrive Rating: 0.6

Navigation systems: Advanced Navicomputer

Shielding: Numerous redundant shield generator nodes.

Hull: Neutronium impregnated cladding.

Armament:

12 Quad turbolaser cannons

24 Point-Defense laser cannons

4 Proton Torpedo tubes(100 torpedoes)

Complement:

>156 Starfighters

VS

Hammerhead-class cruiser[13]

Length: 315 meters

Hyperdrive Rating: 2.0

Armament:

4 Dual Light Turbolaser Batteries

2 Medium Turbolaser Batteries

2 Point-Defense light laser canon batteries

1 Tractor Beam battery

Complement:

12 Starfighters

&

Endurance-class Fleet Carrier[5]

Length: 1,040

Hyperdrive rating: Class 1.0

Armament:

12 Turbolasers

8 Ion Cannons

20 Laser Cannons

4 Tractor Beam Projectors

Complement:

60 Starfighters

2 wings of Starfighters

12 Transports

The Acclamator completely out-guns either enemy vessel due to Proton load-out and could likely take as many as three before being destroyed, when taking into account it's excessive defensive specs.

Total Starfighter complement:

*Not including replacing shuttles, etc..*

Reborn: 1960

Resistance: 4608

As we can see, the Resistance has twice as many fighters as the Reborn fleet has and basically negates any kind of quality advantage the Reborn might have.

OK, I see Rayla posted her fleet comparison, so I don't have to worry about that. But here's her assessment of tacticians that she sent me.

High Jedi General Mace Windu, was a Jedi High General seen as second only to Yoda in tactical ingenuity, not once has Windu's forces lost a major battle and he has often once he has won, immediately moved to reinforce critical systems in the war.

Very much described as a Jedi with a clear over-view of the Clone Wars, but also with a keen insight into the use and control of supply lines.

Many Jedi including Shaak Ti, whom was considered the fourth most tactically astute High Jedi General, concluded that the war would have continued unabated in the Inner Rim, rather than the Outer-rim without Windu and his sector army.

Marshall Commander Cody was one of the few Marshalls in the entire Grand Army of the Republic, praised by General Kenobi for his ability to carry out their very unorthodox plans continuously, his army is in-fact stated to have one of the lowest casualty rates in the GAR.

Chief of Naval Operations Nek Bwua'tu was one of the most naturally gifted tacticians in the history of the galaxy, noted for his flawless record against the Thrawn Simulator, something no one else ever held, despite never having commanded a fleet engagement.

The Jedi Masters actually believed that he may be Force Sensitive, for seemingly being able to predict his opponent's every move. Indeed, he predicted Jedi powers rather easily and numerous times subverted their use.

He was well-versed in using asteroid fields and suns to his advantage, in-fact he would place his ship directly between a sun and enemy ships to essentially blind their gunners.

He also excelled at using psychological warfare against his enemies, attacking when he should defend and defending when he should attack, then employing seemingly paradoxical tactics.... launching starfighers in attack formations and keeping his capital ships back.

Yet he was very efficient and very effective against even the Killik Hivemind which simply abandoned fighting him, not able to adequately employ their own tactics against such an unpredictable mind, despite out-numbering him astronomically.

Supreme Commander Gilad Pallaeon concluded that if they hadn't employed such tactics against the hivemind they would have lost the inner rim with barely a fight.

Tactics.

I have to say Coruscant couldn't be a better choice for Nek to play in.

I see this being simple, he uses the long-range mode of the six Venators to cause damage on the enemy fleet before it even gets in range.

The Acclamators field their starfighters first and the Venators follow, having learned the mistake of the previous Kaggath match, the security of the Venators will be a large priority, once deployed the Starfighter screen of Crossfires will immediately overwhelm any enemy fighters.

CF-9 Crossfires are stated to be one of the fastest designs produced in the last three centuries, being able to completely dominate due to speed, the great asset here is that these fighters will simply be too quick to counter effectively with anything but X-wings at a distance.

The TwinTails however will shine, they can soak enormous amounts of damage and still continue, not to mention their firepower is stated to be freighter level and speed incredible, the X-Wings are simply the un-evolved predecessor by comparison.

Then we have the effects of Battle Meditation, amped by the nexus in the Sacred Spire, ttscis nexus should dramatically increase the standard effect and give Nek's fleet a prime advantage, it should even over-power the less powerful effects Meetra Surik's Battle Meditation may or may not have in the battle.

Once Starfighter dominance is assured, then the Ionizers come into effect:

"The Mon Calamari hate nothing more than an Ion weapon, Ion weaponry is the one thing they've never cracked and that is why our fleet will take an advantage." - Daala

Ion Bombs on the scale that the Ionizers can drop should prove an extreme advantage over the Viscount, Ion weapons have been shown to bypass shielding and this is something the Viscount just cannot afford to lose.

This however is not the only way to take down that vessel the Imperious, itself heavily shielded (it tanked a 1,000 turbolasers before it's shields began to falter), could prove a severe severe thorn in the battlecruiser's side, when combined with the Ionizer's weaponry, the mighty beast might be slain after all, especially with those Gravity Mines.

However the Acclamators may be the key in this affair, 1300 Proton Torpedoes is probably a sure fire way of blowing that over-sized tortoise to pieces.

If the mighty beast can be dropped then the rest of the battle should prove to be elementary for Nek.

Ok, I'm going to make this a long-ish post, divided into multiple segments. I'll try to keep these points short and sweet.

Ship to Ship:

Personally I believe Single ship vs Single Ship comparisons are less than meaningless, they provide a biased view of the battle as they make someone gauge a Ship as a singular force, not as a fleet which this battle is obviously focusing on. Even Light Capital ships vs Light Capital ships, this is not one Hammerhead vs an Accalamtor, it is 13 Acclamators vs 13 hammerheads and 5 Endurance class's.

With that said, here is the total firepower my fleet possesses:

260 Double Light Laser canons. (Note, this doesn't mean Less than Light, as some assume, it means a twin barrel)

383 Turbolasers

353 heavy Turbolasers.

130 Medium Turbolasers,

450 Quad Turbolaser Canons

860 Point Defense Canons,

35 assault Concussion Missile tubes

and 53 Heavy Ion Canons.

Rayla's fleet in Comparison:

48 DBY-827 Canons

12 Medium Dual turbolaser canons

48 Turbolasers

624 Point Defense laser canons

24 Heavy Proton Tubes

156 Quad Turbolaser canons

65 proton tubes

25 Octupette canons,

25 Heavy Ion canons

To roll with a comparison here, simpled down the Republic Reborn has:

251 more Turbolasers

294 more Quad Turbolasers

353 more heavy Turbolasers

236 more Point Defense laser canons

35 more concussion missile launchers

28 more Heavy Ion canons

at the expense of

48 DBY-827 Canons

65 Proton Torpedo Tubes

and 24 heavy proton tubes

NB: above I factored in 25 Octupettes as worth 200 standard Turbolasers.

As you can see, in ship to ship, the Republic Resistance are astronomically outgunned. Put this on top of quotes like this for the acclamator...

Though it can certainly defend itself from small spaceborne threats, it doesn't have the staying power or flexibility to stand against a concerted attack by capital ships, It is for this reason, more than any other, that the Acclamator design was eventually abandoned by the Empire. - Source: Starships of the Galaxy.

And you see, at least in my eyes, that the only saving grace of the Republic Resistance is it's fighters... and here's what I have to say about that.

Starfighters:

Whilst yes, it is true that the Resistance outnumbers the Republic Reborn 2:1, the issue is the Republic Resistance will be forced into engaging in an attack. Unfortunately for Nek and Co, there is no chance of a Ship to Ship dominant battle in favor of the Resistance. Venators were designed for fighter carrying warfare, and they relied heavily on them.

Whilst the fleet's turbolasers are pounding on the enemy vessels, Wedge will have his work cut out for him.

Currently it is 1922 fighters for the Reborn, and 4608.

Add in the 250 support from the Cartel's standing fleet and we get a measely 2172 for the Republic Reborn.

Seem like a massive advantage to the Resistance? It should. Until you look deeper.

The Resistance is forced into the offensive. Be as unpredictable as you want Nek, you cannot deny that when your fleet is this outgunned it has to attack.

However when it does this, the Republic Reborn gains an advantage. At this range, the resistance cannot utilize it's Point defence canons, they have limited range and become too inaccurate and slow.

This leaves it as 2172 fighters, and 860 Point Defense cannons against 4608 fighters. All the Canons need to do is take out one ship each, an easy task, and this battle becomes closer. Not of course mentioning the fact that my ships have a total of 324 Tractor beams. Perfect for taking out pesky "quick" fighters.

Point defence canons can also target Fighters in a dogfight, who are tailing allied fighters. A way to cover each others backs per-say.

All in all, this leaves Wedge (Whilst on the Defensive) Significantly at an advantage. All he need do is Delay the enemy while their cruisers are destroyed.

In terms of Tacticians and Battle Meditation:

I'm going to get flamed for saying this, but I believe post NJO Tacticians are very overrated. As a tactician Nek is brilliant, however beating the Thrawn Simulator is not an astounding feat. The Thrawn simulator is exactly that, a Simulation. Thrawn's genius comes from the fact he is ingenious and adapted to situations, something the simulator never did.

Nek is given the credit of being one of the the best tacticians of his time. Surik is the best Naval tactician of her time, she was to the Military what Revan was to the Galaxy. She single handedly won victories at Dxun and many other worlds that other generals could not do with 10x the force. Both thanks to her natural skill in Battle Meditation and her ingenious tactics.

They are near to a match, in my opinion.

Having Wedge leading fighter wings from his personal starfighter however tips the republic reborn over the edge Tacticians wise, they can coordinate better than Nek ever could given how much he'd have to handle. When your capital ships are going down and your fighters are being scattered, which does one tactician pick? The answer doesnt matter, since Surik and Wedge can handle both.

As for Battle Meditation, I don't honestly think Nomi's will play a large part. Battlefield meditation requires someone to actually be aware of the battle, communicate with all of their forces subconsciously etc. The Distance she would have to cover in my opinion is too great, it will weaken her hold.

Surik's battle meditation was usually only used as a buff to her own armada, so she will be pouring more power into her soldiers from a closer distance, than Nomi could pour into both armies from such a huge distance away.

I believe they'd cancel each other out, with Surik perhaps taking a negligibly small advantage.

I have more to post after this has been debated. I'll also copy this into my post on the Front Page to allow for easier viewing, and for it not to get lost.

Edited by Selenial

OK, so the Arbiter for this match will be Aurbere, again!

Things to note for this match are as follows:

[*]Just to be clear, the X-85 tank droid in question is the 3 metre variant.

!

3 meter variant what?...It's only ever been 32 meters. The bit about the prototype, there isn't a source for that.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Interesting point about Battle Meditation.

After looking over the feats of Meetra and Sunrider's battle med, the evidence (to me) is overwhelmingly in favor of Sunrider as having the superior battle med. I also agree that with the boost of the LS Nexus in the temple, Sunrider could more than likely overpower Meetra's battle med.

I also think Rayla (with the exception of the Venators) has a very beefy fleet of well-armored ships/fighters. The Ionizer (and that Daala quote) makes me lean heavily against the Viscount's chances.

The Fighter superiority is so astronomical for Rayla, Sel's fighters will really only be effective in defence.

Now Sel's fleet has a few decent points.

Thunderclaps are the perfect ship to field against the Ionizers and the Twintails thanks to their firepower. As tough as those two ships are, the Thunderclaps seem like a solid counter. Though numbers could prove too much.

B-wings (if they can get there) could hammer away at Venators rather brutally and are more than likely sufficient to bring down Acclamators.

Sel also has a far larger fleet in terms of capital ships and that difference, to me, would still win Sel a fight in a straight capital ship - capital ship engagement. But off course, that isn't what's going on so...

To anyone going off Wookieepedia for the Pellaeon class, don't.

They have sourced Starships of the Galaxy to say that the Pellaeon has 50 batteries of Heavy Turbolasers, when the sourcebook actually says 5.

Not sure who made the edit but it's massively out, the real stats are:

25 heavy Turbolasers (Octupette)

20 Heavy Ion canons (Quad)

15 Tractor Beams

25 Proton Torpedo launchers.

I'm saying Octupette and Quad because that's what the passages hint at, but that is an assumption.

No please, post 3 absolutely massive posts and then ask for more support :rolleyes:

Meh, to be honest your tactician evaluation lacks a lot of detail, contains Era bias, and acts as if fleet tactics is a stable science where you only need one opening strategy to win.

I'm posting mine now, but Beni you never answered my question about Isotope-5.

Also there are over a trillion people on coruscant, if you think the massive underworld on that planet doesn't contain a few pilots with freighters then god knows what you think's been battling the coruscant police for centuries. Hypo Viz's destruction of the Mandalorian Blockade is a prime example of Underworld influence, and their ability to form a paramilitary force overnight.

Woah there, let's not make
an accurate depiction of the round.

Concerning Isotope-5, did it improve reactor outputs or just act as an infinite supply? Or would that be the same thing...

And concerning the people of Coruscant, I reiterate how by the time any such force could be rallied the battle would be over, literally overnight. Not that I personally believe that would ever happen, this is not the Mandalorian Blockade.

Woah there, let's not make
an accurate depiction of the round.

Concerning Isotope-5, did it improve reactor outputs or just act as an infinite supply? Or would that be the same thing...

And concerning the people of Coruscant, I reiterate how by the time any such force could be rallied the battle would be over, literally overnight. Not that I personally believe that would ever happen, this is not the Mandalorian Blockade.

It's the same thing.

Reactors can output as much as they want, which is why I find Rayla's inaccurate choice of words in the DBY canons... concerning. Yes, reactors can push power to turbolasers to make them up to 4x more powerful, but they can do that to any turbolaser.

The problem is it sacrifices shielding, which is why the Battle is already lost if the Venators switch to that mode, and it's why Tri Fighters during the Clone Wars could single-handedly destroy a Star Destroyer.

With Isotope 5 however, the Viscount can put far more power into Shielding and Turbolaser batteries without sacrificing a thing, as, in the words of Darth Marr, "One gram of Isotope-5 can provide a near infinite power source". It's why he sacrificed 3 systems just for the chance at it.

He also used it to upgrade the turbolasers themselves, but that's an argument for another time I think.

To anyone going off Wookieepedia for the Pellaeon class, don't.

They have sourced Starships of the Galaxy to say that the Pellaeon has 50 batteries of Heavy Turbolasers, when the sourcebook actually says 5.

Not sure who made the edit but it's massively out, the real stats are:

25 heavy Turbolasers (Octupette)

20 Heavy Ion canons (Quad)

15 Tractor Beams

25 Proton Torpedo launchers.

I'm saying Octupette and Quad because that's what the passages hint at, but that is an assumption.

Interesting, that would give it the same armament as the Imperious.

I can only assume its cannons were just more powerful.

It's the same thing.

Reactors can output as much as they want, which is why I find Rayla's inaccurate choice of words in the DBY canons... concerning. Yes, reactors can push power to turbolasers to make them up to 4x more powerful, but they can do that to any turbolaser.

The problem is it sacrifices shielding, which is why the Battle is already lost if the Venators switch to that mode, and it's why Tri Fighters during the Clone Wars could single-handedly destroy a Star Destroyer.

With Isotope 5 however, the Viscount can put far more power into Shielding and Turbolaser batteries without sacrificing a thing, as, in the words of Darth Marr, "One gram of Isotope-5 can provide a near infinite power source". It's why he sacrificed 3 systems just for the chance at it.

He also used it to upgrade the turbolasers themselves, but that's an argument for another time I think.

But that was a special quality of those turbolasers, so I don't think its that simple.

But yeah I recall now your correct.

And I don't recall any instances of tri-fighters soloing Venators... well there was the Battle of Saleucami but I assume that the Venator in question had been damaged and perhaps had its shields taken down first.

Interesting, that would give it the same armament as the Imperious.

I can only assume its cannons were just more powerful.

That's why I put the Imperious as Octupettes.

I made a slight typo there, the Imperious likely has octupettes where the Pellaeon had Quad turrets, as it is inferred that the Imperious has similar designs, just improved.