Beryllius?

bigdaddytim

In regards to "anecdotal evidence":

If it was only a few players who got masses of Frasium without getting the Beryllius they need, it wouldn't end up destroying the GTN price of Frasium to way below any other blue material. You currently can't give away the Frasium, even at the low prices, it just expires for the most part.

In regards to statistical probabilities:

Like someone else said: a primitive RNG only frustrates players and often enough makes the game look broken.

Thats why people invented smoothed RNGs. They add a small bonus to success chance on each fail, until the bonus gets reset to zero on a hit. Easy enough to tweak to avoid overall % chance from changing.

In regards to schematics:

Obviously, a constant, ever repeating drop of a very small selection of armor schematics can only lead to an economic mini disaster. The GTN price for those is actually below the vendor payout (I guess some people don't check npc vendors before using the GTN on marginal items) schematics have very limited use, as a crafter only buys it once, so on crew missions, all drops should likely not be a consumable where a single use is all you'll ever need.

If I was in charge of the economy at Bioware, I'd have the database show me all abnormally low prices that coincide with high item volume on the GTN on a daily basis - figuring out the reasons would probably point me to most economic issues. And I'd make sure the back-end code is such, that adjustments can be made without needing a software engineer every time I want to fine tune drop rates or even change what does drop. So I wouldn't have to ever post that "people are working on it" cause a change could be made at the same time the issue is recognized. Lastly, you'd follow the engineer's rule of "only change one parameter at a time, then observe, before changing the next" Game companies who don't follow this rule always end up over-boosting or over-nerfing and having to backpedal later on, with more man hours wasted.

Edited by pandelume

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In regards to "anecdotal evidence":

If it was only a few players who got masses of Frasium without getting the Beryllius they need, it wouldn't end up destroying the GTN price of Frasium to way below any other blue material. You currently can't give away the Frasium, even at the low prices, it just expires for the most part.

In regards to statistical probabilities:

Like someone else said: a primitive RNG only frustrates players and often enough makes the game look broken.

Thats why people invented smoothed RNGs. They add a small bonus to success chance on each fail, until the bonus gets reset to zero on a hit. Easy enough to tweak to avoid overall % chance from changing.

In regards to schematics:

Obviously, a constant, ever repeating drop of a very small selection of armor schematics can only lead to an economic mini disaster. The GTN price for those is actually below the vendor payout (I guess some people don't check npc vendors before using the GTN on marginal items) schematics have very limited use, as a crafter only buys it once, so on crew missions, all drops should likely not be a consumable where a single use is all you'll ever need.

If I was in charge of the economy at Bioware, I'd have the database show me all abnormally low prices that coincide with high item volume on the GTN on a daily basis - figuring out the reasons would probably point me to most economic issues. And I'd make sure the back-end code is such, that adjustments can be made without needing a software engineer every time I want to fine tune drop rates or even change what does drop. So I wouldn't have to ever post that "people are working on it" cause a change could be made at the same time the issue is recognized. Lastly, you'd follow the engineer's rule of "only change one parameter at a time, then observe, before changing the next" Game companies who don't follow this rule always end up over-boosting or over-nerfing and having to backpedal later on, with more man hours wasted.

All wants purple ... blue is not for them.

Players doesn't care about frasum or other level 55 blue mats, they sell them away if can.

Same with cloth, Slicing mats, ArmT mats ... only Biochem blue mats are used well.

Most of those have no CT to use it (I have 2 or 3 companions per alt in blue 66 whole set + 2 on my wife chars, all chars that reach 53 are in blue at the moment of reaching, after that upgrade if mean to play in endgame) - those that have going to buy it or just use it.

All wants purple ... blue is not for them.

Players doesn't care about frasum or other level 55 blue mats, they sell them away if can.

Same with cloth, Slicing mats, ArmT mats ... only Biochem blue mats are used well.

Most of those have no CT to use it (I have 2 or 3 companions per alt in blue 66 whole set + 2 on my wife chars, all chars that reach 53 are in blue at the moment of reaching, after that upgrade if mean to play in endgame) - those that have going to buy it or just use it.

And that's where I step in...

I craft almost exclusively blue quality item modifications (I tend to save my purple mats for myself and friends). While the overall value is far less - between 10k and 20k per unit - the profit margins are typically better than purple. What purple crafted item can claim a near 100% (or better) profit margin?

And when one can buy 10 blues for one purple and deck out quick...that helps too :)

Edited by psandak

• 1 month later...

If I get a dollar for every Master Striker or Dread Scout glove schematics I have received from these 450 rich/bountiful UT missions... I'd have enough to buy SWTOR and then change the damn thing myself.

It has gotten so irritating that I no longer run the standard missions and instead changed two other characters over to slicing for a total of 3 slicers just for feeding purple missions.

Is anyone else having problems trying to get some Beryllius from Underworld Trading? I sat tonight for 2 and have hours waiting for a drop and got nothing. Plenty of blues, but I need this to make LVL 66 Purple armorings and mods. Any ideas or suggestions? :)

Don't waste your time. 156(66) mods & armor are classic now .... they all drop like candy all over the game

• 5 months later...

Well, i spent the last 3 hours, while questing on Voss, sending my companions (all 5) on UT missions, ranging from Moderate to rich and none of them have gotten me any Beryllius.

No wonder why its so expensive on the GTN, the greedy sods take advantage of needs of the economy.....quite abit over the top in price though.

I hope bioware make them more common, i mean buying the material from the GTN is just like getting a loan from loan sharks.....INSANE and stupid, even i wouldn't sell them for the prices i have seen on the GTN, but then i wouldn't have made them THIS rare if they were so vital at endgame.

I really do hope they make some changes for the better, cause i started crafting with cybertech to avoid paying the way overpriced prices on the GTN for gear, only to hit this roadblock....only time will tell.

Don't waste your time. 156(66) mods & armor are classic now .... they all drop like candy all over the game

The issue is that you need the makeb stuff to do the content that rewards the classic commendations....not sure if the makeb level 50 blue quality armourings and mods are good enough or not, i just know the purple quality versions are and i was hoping to craft the armorings and mods in purple quality and get the enhancement via the commendations, but the extremely rare Beryllius resource is making that impossible for anyone, but trillionares. (ie. the greedy sods)

Now, if the blue quality mods are good enough to do the content for the classic commendations, then i will stick with those.

Well, i spent the last 3 hours, while questing on Voss, sending my companions (all 5) on UT missions, ranging from Moderate to rich and none of them have gotten me any Beryllius.

No wonder why its so expensive on the GTN, the greedy sods take advantage of needs of the economy.....quite abit over the top in price though.

What server are you on? I have hundreds of pieces of Beryllius in my storage. It only costs a few thousand credits on the GTN and I wasn't willing to sell my pieces for like 5.000 credits. So I just locked them away and forgot about them. Are they selling now again, yes? I am smelling profit. Not. ;)

I hope bioware make them more common, i mean buying the material from the GTN is just like getting a loan from loan sharks.....INSANE and stupid, even i wouldn't sell them for the prices i have seen on the GTN, but then i wouldn't have made them THIS rare if they were so vital at endgame.

I really do hope they make some changes for the better, cause i started crafting with cybertech to avoid paying the way overpriced prices on the GTN for gear, only to hit this roadblock....only time will tell.

First of all only the Bountiful and Rich missions have a chance to get Berylius, so you waste the credits running the moderate and abundant missions.

Second, how many Bountiful and Rich missions did you in fact run? Based on the time of three hours and assuming that you got the three missions that generate Berylius every pass, you should have been able to run at most four of the bountiful 3120 and the rich 3240 mission (at ~40 mins each) and two of the bountiful 3745 (at 80min each). That's a total of ten attempts. Sorry but that sample is insignificant.

Third, "time will tell" you that over the long haul running missions is cheaper in credits than buying from the GTN, but it takes time. This is the most common example of time and credits being interchangeable resources. Want stuff quickly, pay someone else for their time. Willing to wait, great you've saved credits.

Edited by psandak

As psandak pointed out, there are only 3 missions that return this mat, unfortunately. When running Beryllius, look for the Underworld Metals missions > 3000 cr. The other ones only return Frasium.

Welcome back to the crafting forum Jamie. It's been a while since I've heard anyone complain about us capitalist pig crafters and our wicked, wicked ways. :)

Let's look at this logically, shall we?

1. Beryllius runs from 8,000cr-12,000cr per unit on the GTN.

2. It is used to craft level 53 materials, which means it's for a toon that can run dailies.

3. You can make over 100,000 cr per hour running dailies if you choose to do so.

4. You spent 3 hours running missions, not getting any Beryllius.

5. You could have purchased 30 units of Beryllius with money made running dailies for that same period of time.

6. Even with a perfect mission list, and critting every single time (100% chance) you would not have been able to get 30 units in 3 hours.

So, how is this price gouging again? Can you explain in laymen's terms for my benefit? I am just a greedy crafter after all, and might not understand otherwise.

Edited by Khevar

@Khevar,

I can only speak for myself, but I HATE doing dailies for the credits; to repetitive . Therefore I can understand anyone's aversion to running dailies for credits. Thankfully as a mass producer and seller on the GTN I don't have to :).

What do you consider overprice may I ask?

A friend was making the HK (the new schematics from cz) droid armor and it requires this metal and she even though she can run the missions she also brought some so she could finish the armoring and she was purchasing 10 at 180K generally. She found some at 169,000 for 10.

So that doesn't seem overpriced to me. Might be your server.

Edited by ScarletBlaze

@Khevar,

I can only speak for myself, but I HATE doing dailies for the credits; to repetitive . Therefore I can understand anyone's aversion to running dailies for credits. Thankfully as a mass producer and seller on the GTN I don't have to :).

Yeah, I know what you mean. Back when I had only a single level 50 toon, it was Belsavis / Ilum / Black Hole / Belsavis / Ilum / Black Hole / Belsavis / Ilum / Black Hole. It was on such automatic, that I once was chatting in vent with a friend while running Ilum, I got to the end, and didn't even remember running it.

However, the main reason I got into crafting was that most of the time, I would go to the GTN to buy something I needed, and nobody was selling it. Like when leveling my Shadow tank, once I got into the 33+ level range, where crafters can make actual tank-specific gear with shield / absorb / defense, they were very rarely listed.

Similarly, when leveling a biochem, I would end up short some materials (e.g. Immunity Cell Culture) with not a single item listed on the GTN.

My solution was to build a little self-sustaining crafting empire. :) I've enough toons running enough missions all the time, that I have cargo holds filled with mats, as well as crafters that know most all of the schematics I might need.

The side benefit, of course, was to be able to sell things and have credits to buy things I want.

Well, considering the amount i save when crafting my own armorings and mods, it is still saving credits, while i agree buying from another player should be a viable option, it just isn't at the moment, some players do price things fairly, but there are those that just don't and just see how many 0's they can add onto the price instead of actually having a clue on what something is worth.

I have been burned by too many crafters to really bother buying anything from the GTN anymore, now if bioware stepped in and put a max and minimum price on crafted items, then it could get better, but sadly, that won't be the case, cause in the end, players are just outright greedy.

While i do agree that purple quality items gathered or crafted should be higher in price then blue quality items, that that tends to hardly ever be the case at all.

When it comes to UT missions, i have gathered alot of purple quality materials from other grades via moderate yields and abundant yields, so this must be a grade 9 thing??

When it comes to UT missions, i have gathered alot of purple quality materials from other grades via moderate yields and abundant yields, so this must be a grade 9 thing??

Unfortunately yes. This was a change with the grade 9 stuff added in 2.0, and it applies to all of the blue/purple gathering skills, not just UT.

Edited by Khevar

Well, considering the amount i save when crafting my own armorings and mods, it is still saving credits, while i agree buying from another player should be a viable option, it just isn't at the moment, some players do price things fairly, but there are those that just don't and just see how many 0's they can add onto the price instead of actually having a clue on what something is worth.

I have been burned by too many crafters to really bother buying anything from the GTN anymore, now if bioware stepped in and put a max and minimum price on crafted items, then it could get better, but sadly, that won't be the case, cause in the end, players are just outright greedy.[/Quote]

This is an old debate. You do not like the pricing, and you have the right to your opinion. But you are an outlier. 99.999% of the population accepts that this is a free market economy: whatever the majority of buyers are willing to buy at is what sellers are going to sell at. I see lots of sellers trying to sell things at outrageous prices and they never sell because buyers won't buy at those prices. Some buyers scour the GTN for deals, others will simply buy at the lowest current price because they want the item badly enough. And from these buyer/seller inputs a "normal" range of pricing develops.

And having artificial limits imposed will never happen because it will piss A LOT of players off

While i do agree that purple quality items gathered or crafted should be higher in price then blue quality items, that that tends to hardly ever be the case at all.

Please name one blue quality item that is worth more than its purple sister. This does not happen on The Harbinger that I have EVER seen.

• 6 months later...
I've gotten a ton of this material. They've all come from lvl 450 UT schematic missions though. I've made well over 1 million credits in just selling it, and that's selling it way below what most are asking for. It's definitely a rare item. it's become the new "mandalorian iron".

My skill is 450 but I keep getting Frasium (lots of) but not a single Beryllius.

It's frustrating. What do I do wrong here?

Cheers, Farbauti.

My skill is 450 but I keep getting Frasium (lots of) but not a single Beryllius.

It's frustrating. What do I do wrong here?

Cheers, Farbauti.

I believe that the item you seek is gained via critical mission successes from Rich and Bountiful yield missions, anything less will not give them, critical success or not.

I always make sure to save this purple item when i get them for any character i want to take into raiding......which goes through Makeb.

This is an old debate. You do not like the pricing, and you have the right to your opinion. But you are an outlier. 99.999% of the population accepts that this is a free market economy: whatever the majority of buyers are willing to buy at is what sellers are going to sell at. I see lots of sellers trying to sell things at outrageous prices and they never sell because buyers won't buy at those prices. Some buyers scour the GTN for deals, others will simply buy at the lowest current price because they want the item badly enough. And from these buyer/seller inputs a "normal" range of pricing develops.

And having artificial limits imposed will never happen because it will piss A LOT of players off

Please name one blue quality item that is worth more than its purple sister. This does not happen on The Harbinger that I have EVER seen.

It happens alot on the Progenitor server, maybe its the server? i have no idea, maybe i am just the old fashioned type that prices the stuff i make based on the difficulty of getting the materials, instead of seeing how many 0's i can add to the price tag.

It happens alot on the Progenitor server, maybe its the server? i have no idea, maybe i am just the old fashioned type that prices the stuff i make based on the difficulty of getting the materials, instead of seeing how many 0's i can add to the price tag.

As with any free market economy, prices are driven by quantity and demand. If the quantity on the market is low and demand is high, sellers will raise the prices to the highest they can go while still being guaranteed to make a sale. In my experience, the demand for mods/armorings/enhancements is rather constant (except during double xp when it goes way up). In these conditions, the only way prices will go down is if more people start trying to sell the same thing, thus flooding the market. When the market is flooded, prices do tend to creep back down to a lower profit margin where the main controlling factor is how much the materials cost.

As for anyone complaining about the rarity of Beryllius, I find the cheapest way to get it is to forget about the RNG of Rich/Bountiful missions and just buy the Wealthy Underworld Trading missions that come from Slicing. Each Wealthy mission gives 5 Berylius (8 if the mission crits).

As with any free market economy, prices are driven by quantity and demand. If the quantity on the market is low and demand is high, sellers will raise the prices to the highest they can go while still being guaranteed to make a sale. In my experience, the demand for mods/armorings/enhancements is rather constant (except during double xp when it goes way up). In these conditions, the only way prices will go down is if more people start trying to sell the same thing, thus flooding the market. When the market is flooded, prices do tend to creep back down to a lower profit margin where the main controlling factor is how much the materials cost.

As for anyone complaining about the rarity of Beryllius, I find the cheapest way to get it is to forget about the RNG of Rich/Bountiful missions and just buy the Wealthy Underworld Trading missions that come from Slicing. Each Wealthy mission gives 5 Berylius (8 if the mission crits).

Those tend to be like 150-275k on my server...but i haven't checked recently.

:D Your thinking is not "old fashioned". It's communist :D I KID I KID I KID, No offense intended it's a joke.

Seriously though, I have been playing MMOs for a LONG time, and in every single one, sellers try to squeeze as much as they can out of buyers.

You're just crazy :eek::eek: (again I am JOKING)

You think Beryllius is bad? Try Regulators. I mean, 9000-10000 creds per sheet for Beryllium I can swallow for the 156 piece, but 18,000 for a Regulator... here goes my plan to craft my own augments. 'Cause, you know, it's a hard Critical to get....