Cyborg "Species"

YeIIow

With the talks, rumors and petitions of further character customization going all over the place , i think the Cyborgs should get a re-work, right now they just a normal human with an iron patch on an eye -.- not very Cyborg by any definition....

They should be more like this:

http://www.myspace.com/ancientsithtemple/photos/1853635#%7B%22ImageId%22%3A1859291%7D

rather than just like this:

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111217002744/swtor/images/5/5b/Ingame_Cyborg_.jpg

I supose implementing this would take some time and work, but it would add a lot of diversity to this game, that is currently lacking, it would make the Cyborgs stand out from the Human and the human-with-diferent-skin species and give them a unique feeling.

-------------------------

Feel free to leave ur opinion below. thanks

Edited by YeIIow

Even previus games have done a better job than this when it comes down to cyborgs... a clear example is

Bao-Dur from SW: KOTOR 2, that arm of his really gave him a unique touch and made him stand out.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060221185135/starwars/images/5/57/Baodurconcept.PNG

i feel like this game in stead of advancing and evolving from its predecesors, it goes back -.-

Edited by YeIIow

I think the cybernetics should have been a character customization option open to all species instead of made a species unto themselves. I mean, really, when did getting cybernetics change your species? So Luke and Vader are no longer humans?

I like to think my cyborg is really half human/half miraluka myself. :)

I think the cybernetics should have been a character customization option open to all species instead of made a species unto themselves. I mean, really, when did getting cybernetics change your species? So Luke and Vader are no longer humans?

Agreed. This was another poor and lazy design choice by EAware. :rolleyes:

I remember that Cyborgs kind of went in at the last minute before launch. I agree that they're very boring the way they are...just a few mechanical pieces on their face does not make a convincing cyborg.

I also remember them talking about giving players the ability to give themselves cosmetic cyber customization, but that never happened, guess it's still on that "wall of crazy".

If i remember correctly, a LOOOONG time back the devs made a poll thread about "should cyborg be a playable species" and i think it was like 65% NO and 35% YES.....and then they ended up throwing them in as a species anyway :confused:

I think they have done a horrible job with them and would have much rather subbed them out for something more unique like Plo-Koon's race. Rodian or Wookiee. Even Jawa would have been better......

I think you guys are looking at this backward.

They probably didn't have time for another species, and someone suggested a slight alteration of the humans in order to deliver more racial content. Instead of no cyborgs at all, we at least got something in that vein.

In my 12+ years as a game artist & art director it's always been the same story. The artists who made this content probably wanted to push it further, but were facing an unrealistically tight timeframe. The feature was probably set to be axed, and someone figured out a way to keep it, albeit in a limited form.

I remember that Cyborgs kind of went in at the last minute before launch. I agree that they're very boring the way they are...just a few mechanical pieces on their face does not make a convincing cyborg.

Last thing before launch? Hardly. They were around back then the character creation had "backgrounds" instead of species, when the game still used originally unveiled UI style. So that's a year before launch or something at the very least.

They probably didn't have time for another species, and someone suggested a slight alteration of the humans in order to deliver more racial content. Instead of no cyborgs at all, we at least got something in that vein.

In my 12+ years as a game artist & art director it's always been the same story. The artists who made this content probably wanted to push it further, but were facing an unrealistically tight timeframe. The feature was probably set to be axed, and someone figured out a way to keep it, albeit in a limited form.

OK let's look at it from a "graphics" perspective. If you notice most if not all the cybernetics narrowly float above the face/head of the human figure. They are not integral to the over all head/face model. These "cybernetic" options could therefore be "options" on all the other existing "races" of "humanoids" that are in the game. The fact that they aren't is just lazy design by EAware. :cool:

I mean as soon as Luke and Anakin lost their right hands ... they ceased being human and became "cyborgs" ... right? :rolleyes:@EAware.

Edited by Urael

i think this all comes down to how do you define cyborg. Technically anyone with a prosthetic arm or leg or eye could be considered cyborg, even today.

What we see in SWTOR are humans (sadly, cybernetics should be for all races, that would be cool) with primary visual cortex or cochlear implants, or implants that have been used to fix their faces after something happened to them.

As for "cybernetics change your race", that has been subject of many, many scientific paper and artistic thoughts. Is human with cybernetics still human? Or is he something else? Is he superior? Etc. Those are the questions we have to ask (even in real world, as cybernetic revolution is coming fast)

So yes, making cyborgs as separate species may have not been the most fortunate idea, as they should have been just customization option for all races, but it allows us some cool new options.

Which is why the business aspect shouldn't be included in the creative process of the game. If more production companies would allow their developers more time to complete a project and only start their work once the project is complete we would have a lot more quality games, rather than buggy crap pushed out before it was ready and then a bunch of promises of how they will fix it over time.

:cool:

Edited by Blackavaar

I believe cyborg was only added to increase the number of species who could be sith Warriors at launch. They looked for a cheap easy way to claim they had 9 species and not 8. Personally I think they should be reworked and the option to be a cyborg should be in the apperance options for any species.

However I wuld still prefer them to add additional species then go over this psedu species at all.

They probably didn't have time for another species, and someone suggested a slight alteration of the humans in order to deliver more racial content.

So this is the formula they used for nearly all the species then yes, slightly altered humans, because that's is all we got, with one exception. 'slightly altered humans.' let's face facts, BW cut corners and made species irrelevant to the game experience as they are purely cosmetic and failed to deliver any significant diversity in player racial choices. That cyborgs are deemed a species and a human only species makes swtor the laughing stock of mmo's as far as racial diversity goes. Whoever made those design decisions should hang their head in shame.

I think they have done a horrible job with them and would have much rather subbed them out for something more unique like Plo-Koon's race. Rodian or Wookiee. Even Jawa would have been better......

(eyeroll)

You almost had a point, and then you said this, proving that you haven't actually put much thought into the problem at all.

All of the races you mentioned would have notable technical problems being incorporated into the game. None of them would work with the established voice acting (not necessarily the ability to speak Basic, but the tonal quality, etc). Wookiees can't be Jedi or Sith without specific sign-off by LucasArts. Kel Dor have twice the clipping problems of Twi'leks and need special code to handle the voice modulation. Rodians would look stupid with the voices, and have loads of clipping problems.

And Jawas.... no, just no. I don't want to explain again why they are a bad idea.

I don't even think cyborgs should be included at all. I don't care that they wanted another so-called race at launch. Adding mechanical components, especially ones that do squat all, to someone does not change their race. And the implants are ugly. If they were going to insist on including cybernetics, it would've been much better to make cybernetic implants a cosmetic feature for the different races rather than saying that humans with implants were their very own race.

You're no longer an original member of the species. You've been altered and changed by the cybernetic enhancements beyond an ordinary member of that species.

Maybe? lol :)

You're no longer an original member of the species. You've been altered and changed by the cybernetic enhancements beyond an ordinary member of that species.

Maybe? lol :)

A few pieces of LED lit aluminum glued to our face reclassifies us as a unique species?

I think not.

Considering we already have Implants as pieces of gear, that would make everyone a Cyborg, which means the species choice isn't even valid.

Really, Cyborg should have been a class of Adaptive Gear, not a species. Then you could mix and match parts to make a unique Cyborg look for any class or species.

Heck, half of the Juggernaut gear are already more Cyborg-like than any of the crap glued to our faces. And the Cyborg NPCs all appear to be wearing that same gear.

:cool:

when cyborg was announced I thought it was joke

same here but apparently the species is true as soon as I launched the game and created a character on Dec 15th 2011. *** is cyborg really, is that some kind of super hero from marvels? Cyborg isn't a species, its called a species(insert here) with cybernetics. I'm a zabrak only guy and I want cybernetics.

Edited by Jonoku

same here but apparently the species is true as soon as I launched the game and created a character on Dec 15th 2011. *** is cyborg really, is that some kind of super hero from marvels? Cyborg isn't a species, its called a species(insert here) with cybernetics. I'm a zabrak only guy and I want cybernetics.

I'd love cybernetic options for my Chiss.

Last thing before launch? Hardly. They were around back then the character creation had "backgrounds" instead of species, when the game still used originally unveiled UI style. So that's a year before launch or something at the very least.

I remember that, but I remember them not being available as a list of species and people being sad that they couldn't create one, and then they did add them in close to launch. The details are hazy, though.

If i remember correctly, a LOOOONG time back the devs made a poll thread about "should cyborg be a playable species" and i think it was like 65% NO and 35% YES.....and then they ended up throwing them in as a species anyway :confused:

Blame the guy who thought rockets boots were cool and put them in the game. What jedi is gonna wear rocket boots when we all know that instead of rocket boots give jedi an out of combat extended duration force run. Give BH's rocket packs, give ops and scounds rocket boots. Problem solved. Again not to mention any names .... caugh... first and last name starts with a W, but blame that guy.

Blame the guy who thought rockets boots were cool and put them in the game. What jedi is gonna wear rocket boots when we all know that instead of rocket boots give jedi an out of combat extended duration force run. Give BH's rocket packs, give ops and scounds rocket boots. Problem solved. Again not to mention any names .... caugh... first and last name starts with a W, but blame that guy.

I'm still sad there is no force jump ability. Nevermind that Jedi and Sith have been shown to jump great heights in the movies, books, comics (never played KOTOR to know if they could in that).

That said, I love that my Jedi and Sith have rocket boots and a flamethrower. What I dont like is my inability to access that flamethrower on a full team or a team I don't have my companion out. :/

I don't even think cyborgs should be included at all. I don't care that they wanted another so-called race at launch. Adding mechanical components, especially ones that do squat all, to someone does not change their race. And the implants are ugly. If they were going to insist on including cybernetics, it would've been much better to make cybernetic implants a cosmetic feature for the different races rather than saying that humans with implants were their very own race.

exactly, but the damage is already done, i just hope they actually do something with the Cyborgs in the near future, with all the talks of new races, further character customization etc, it would be a good time to do something with the so called "Cyborg Specie"

• 1 month later...