Mytag Crystal Drop Rates Changed in patch?

Zanshinmu

I have a character with 450 Artifice who has been making advanced items requiring Mytag crystals since shortly after ROTHC was released.

I am quite familiar with the streaky nature of the RNG, and the rarity of the drop for the missions I run with my crew.

During the day (and often evenings)I work with swtor in the background, constantly running crafting missions with 2 crew members dedicated to running rich and bountiful missions to keep a steady stream of Mytag crystals coming in.

A few days ago the stream of 5-10 crystals a day just stopped. Completely. Not one mytag crystal has dropped since.

Can anyone invalidate the hypothesis that they dramatically changed the drop rates in the last patch?

• 2 weeks later...
I have a character with 450 Artifice who has been making advanced items requiring Mytag crystals since shortly after ROTHC was released.

I am quite familiar with the streaky nature of the RNG, and the rarity of the drop for the missions I run with my crew.

During the day (and often evenings)I work with swtor in the background, constantly running crafting missions with 2 crew members dedicated to running rich and bountiful missions to keep a steady stream of Mytag crystals coming in.

A few days ago the stream of 5-10 crystals a day just stopped. Completely. Not one mytag crystal has dropped since.

Can anyone invalidate the hypothesis that they dramatically changed the drop rates in the last patch?

Rng is rng and you will never be able to tell one way or the other since you do not have access to the overall game wide numbers.

The crew skill gathering structure is such that it is very streaky.

Up to a week or so ago, I was getting Mytags in droves. Then it dried up and now it is like pulling teeth. On the other hand I could not beg a TR while my wife was critting like mad. Now all of a sudden I am hitting on TRs.

I am power leveling a CT at the moment and just REing stuff to get the mats back. I do not need the schematics since I have them on another character. It is amazing how many streaks of 15 to 20 fails I get one after another and then I will get three hits in a row. All at 20%.

It is just a crazy system with a built in frustration factor.

Edited by asbalana

I am noticing this, too. I constantly send my comps out on missions and they have not been returning mytags at all, lately. It's pretty frustrating because I've spent so many credits trying to collect these, as they are required for crafting high-level items. I've spent many 10s of thousands of credits. At this rate, there is no way I'll make my investment back.

I notice streaks, probably as a result of certain metrics I have to track at work where streaks point to a "bad thing"...

What I've seen in the last few months is that the RNG is streaky. When it is streaking in a good way (getting my critical missions, get RE stuff, etc.) we tend not to notice because we are getting what we want. Only when the streak goes bad does it pop out in our minds.

The 5-10 Mytag crystals a day could have very well been a good streak considering that the critical rate tops out at 15% + base if you are using a companion with max affection and who has a +5 mission crit for that particular crew skill.

Mytag's, when they drop, appear to drop 2-4 per crit. If you run 20 missions you can expect 3 of those to crit with an average of 3 crystals per, giving you 9 crystals. 20 missions is also around 10 man-hours of missions depending on which missions you run. Unfortunately, RNG doesn't work so cut and dried so you'll see streaks where you may very well get 5 or 6 mission critical successes in a row but you can also see long streaks of missions without any drop whatsoever.

I see the same thing in RE'ing, only it's more apparent because I RE large batches at one time. I can have 15 items crafted for REing with a 20% chance of a new schematic and have all 15 return nothing. I see this more often than I like but there is nothing to be done about it because there isn't really any way to tell if the RNG is broken. It's hard to prove random not working right.

Tonight when I logged in, all three of my TH missions for Gemstones that I had queued before logging yesterday had returned Mytags for a total of 11. The last few days I hadn't seen any. It all seems to even out. The big question to me is are Mytag crystals and other similar mission artifact materials supposed to be so hard to come by so as to limit crafted artifact gear?

Edited by Grayseven