Bounty Hunters, did Mako affect your dark/light decision?

Niknidhogg

This.

I was irritated by her more than anything. Most of the dark-side decisions seemed pretty reasonable to me. More money or no loose ends. Last I checked, bounty hunting wasn't exactly an altruistic activity.

I'm Dark Side 3, and I really can't think of anything I did that was particularly evil. Just doing my job. I had to switch over to Gault during my leveling since Mako disapproves of practically anything that would make you an efficient bounty hunter.

I'm in this camp as well. I completely ignore Mako's moral reasoning - whether she agrees with me or not, her opinions come from a very naive place. I don't think it is possible to be Mako's ideal bounty hunter without either a) being inconsistent, a fraud, a hypocrite, or all of the above, or b) straying so far from what a bounty hunter actually is that it doesn't fit the motivations/activities of the bounty hunter storyline. Such a theoretical person who conformed to Mako's naivete would be a policeman or a soldier or a traveling knight errant... not a credit-clutching paramilitary thug who works for gangsters, crime bosses, or anyone with a purse and bad intentions in a desperate quest for riches and self-aggrandizement. The bounty hunter class quests will force you to do things that contradict these hyper-idealized notion of bounty hunting - whether Mako comments or not - so I kind of figure the narrative makes more sense if you knowingly go against her naivete.

I just started playing and I totally agree with you two, she's almost a walking contradiction. But the whole moral dark/light system doesn't work as well with the bounty hunter as it did with Jedi/Sith. I wanted to roleplay as a BH who is offered jobs, accepts or denies the jobs, then go and take the bounty. I don't like that you're "offered" jobs, and when you go to take out the bounty, you have to have a conversation with the bounty first and make a moral decision to either kill or spare the bounty. That design might work well with Jedi/Sith characters, but that's not how I thought bounty hunters worked. I'm not saying that bounty hunters couldn't have moral issues, but this is definitely not how I thought a bounty hunter would handle it.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've personally played my merc and powertech as light side because I liked the idea of an honorable bounty hunter, but I play my powertech as always getting the bounty, period but not going off on wanton slaughter (except alderaan nobles, eff those guys) so he's not nearly as nice as my merc was, so it's a cinch getting mako to love me, but for any really evil decisions I made I just pulled out 2v-r8 since he didn't care if I was eating babies, and then pulled out mako as soon as the decision was over.

It's really not that hard to get her affection up and still be a heartless bastard

I wasn't even going to do Imperial at all (the Empire is openly racistm, even MORE crooked than the Republic, their military strategy boils down to "We have reserves" (then wonder why they lose wars of attrition like this one), they rely far too much on slave/conscript labor (and waste time/energy/soldiers on slave riots), and the Sith leadership resembles the graduating class of Arkham Asylum, spending more time fighting each other for power than actually running things. The Senators at least pretend to govern.

But I'm running out of content for my Consular to play with, and the HK-51 quest requires an Imperial-class alt.

So I do some research. OK, Grey DeLise on the voice (nice to see the Handmaiden back in action and kicking butt). I could limit my relationship to Imperial leadership as "you wackjobs pay me." And Qyzen mentioned he worked with Braden. By Trandoshan standards, the big lizard's Lawful Good. Figured that if Qyzen vouched for the old man, he probably recruited high class and ran a clean shop (well, as clean as you can get hunting 2-legged prey). And that Blood guy has to come in and shoot up the place. OK. Mako. You and me against the galaxy, kiddo. We'll take out the dar'Manda who shot the boss and honor the old man's way of running things while we're at it.

Since playing the Imperial side has only served to lower my opinion of the Empire past sub-basement levels, Mako is pretty much the main reason I'm even bothering to continue the storyline. My Hunter threw her hat in the ring to send credits back to her impoverished colony in contested space (so I was already aiming for a light or mostly-light hunter), but now has added motive to make the old man proud from wherever he is, and to earn Mako a ticket to a better life outside the doomed cesspit that is Hutt space and the Empire. Kid deserves better than a life that will inevitably end at the wrong end of another guy's weapon, but she insists on learning the trade, better set an example of how to do it right - mimimize collateral damage, don't hunt innocents, and bring them back alive when possible.

Edited by Allronix

It seems a larger proportion of Bounty Hunters are going light side compared to other Imperial classes; I had rolled one with the intention of being fully dark side but once the story got rolling and I met Mako I switched because it seemed a better fit (I did NOT have this problem with Vette...). Anyone else roll light side on a BH to get wit dat?

nope,

my 1st char is bh , and i go darkside,

get full romance with mako.

btw vette is light,

if she cant affect u, then neither can mako.

I always choose the answer that gets companion affection. If I answer and I get the (-1 affection) I hit Esc and start the convo over again. Light and dark mean nothing to non-glowbat swingers in this game, but companion affection affects crafting... so I'm going to help myself. It is what it is, I'm not an RPer, I want to win... not everyone agrees with that.

win what?

Edited by Kaedusz

Yes, my little cyborg crybaby affected me.

So to compensate for the light choices she forces me to make, I send her steal lollipops from babies and mug medical supplies from helpless researchers. Everybody wins. Diplomacy sure is great.

She did not affect my DS decisions. Make the bad choices, get my DS points, then get some gifts to get her affection back up.

Simple as that.

This. I told her to shut up on more than one occasion and still was able to bone and marry her. What can I say? :rak_03: