FTP is Too "Free". Please adjust model.

Klarick

So...how WOULD you all implement the F2P "option" without undermining the value of those that DO support the game and pay a sub?

Driz

I think this is the real discussion inside this discussion. It is late so I am going to keep this a bit short, but I would say, let all of the content, including UI/quick travel/fleet passes/etc., be completely free. Give subscribers access to improvements on their experiences prior to f2p. The xp boost consumable, make it a consumable for f2pers (at a coin cost), make it a permanent buff for sub players and increase it for the sub guys to somewhere between 35-50% (stacking with rested). This give subbers an advantage to out level certain content more easily if there's places they would like to skip or they just want to level faster. Give subers access to legacy perks via legacy level only (no credit or cartel coin costs for unlocking).

Mail sub players a complimentary cartel pack on a weekly or monthly basis. Not only let them have access to speeders at earlier levels, but make it cheaper for them to train. Give subbers bind on account items that level with the character, similar to WoW's heirloom system (I know people hate talking WoW with TOR, but that was actually a VERY popular and incredibly fun system).

Rather than exceedingly limiting the experience for the free players, greatly augment the experience of the subbers. F2Pers will see this and will at least provide greater incentives for F2Pers to sub up. And you can always leave the pay for certain additional features option available for people that don't want to sub.

I am playing with a sub with my wife and we are enjoying it, but I would love to receive more considering im buying coins plus paying two subs. Give the F2Pers more and attract more of them here; its a win win situation regardless. There's nothing really to lose with that method aside from bandwidth...but expanding the population of the game is potentially increasing revenue, which is the point.

Even ignore the stuff that i mentioned that's not currently in the game (which wasn't much, there's little in this suggestion they would actually have to develop/design...its all implementation), and it would be cheap and work out really well.

TL;DR - This method of "here's 100 pieces of a 500 piece jigsaw puzzle for free or pay and get all 500 pieces" is a little nuts. It should be, "if you don't sub, you get the game up to 50 (no end game, micro transactions excluded)...but if you DO sub we give you the game with pizza, cookies and wine (or whatever beverage you prefer)". I think you get the idea.

Edited by Rezakh

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too free? A F2P account needs to buy the following : quickslots, artifact authorization (yeah that purple geary thingy), access to loot in flashpoints (they have only 3 loots), access to operations (and it's not even permanent..it's for a couple of days)...and so on. If a F2P player wants only to play the storyline...then so be it...but if he wants to enjoy the full game...he has to pay, alot.

A free2play account has access to flashpoints, but they can only loot 3 times per week or so.

Edited by teodorudrea

Whilst I can't agree with the OPs sentiment and being a founder myself, find it really cringe worthy that anyone would see fit to end a post with the "founder" stamp :(

I would like to ask all of the posters hating on the current F2P model, how WOULD you implement it?

Over the last few days the vast majority of posts I have read state that all of the UI features and customization options should be free...all of the sotry should be free...WZs / FPs / Ops should be increased to like 10 a week...the list of demands for what should constitute F2P goes on and on.

This all seems to infer nothing more than a "give me all of the game for nothing and lelt me play all that the game has to offer without ever supporting it financially"! attitude.

So...how WOULD you all implement the F2P "option" without undermining the value of those that DO support the game and pay a sub?

Driz

Give the UI for free. Charge for extra bank and bag space. Charge for extra character slots past 2. Charge for content packs going by chapters and for each class. Have current warzones cost a 1 time fee, same with FP and Ops each on a seperate fee. Future ops, warzones, flashpoints, chapter stories... all require a 1 time purchase fee for each category. Things like the HK questlines can also be sold in a content pack. You get the full benefits of the game and truely buy the content that you enjoy ala carte.

Doing this also gives the developers ambition to keep creating new content and not just focus on more grab bag content that they are going to focus on.

Edited by Soluss

As a subber I'm a little worried that the F2Pers aren't going to stick around. The content access is so restricted I'm wondering how many people are going to stick with F2P til endgame, and how many will simply give it up. I don't WANT the F2Pers to quit. They make nice warzone squishies.

Are you serious TE?

This F2P model is maybe the worst out there in comparison with other P2P-MMO's that failed that hard to get in the need of changing their subscription model.

You have to buy UI-elements. You have only 2 character slots. You can't choose quest rewards. You may not loot items ( green quality or better ). You're not allowed to learn crew skills. The list is infinite.

SW:TOR has failed as P2P and you are nothing better as a subscriber than a new Freebie or a subscriber that returned to the game. That's even the worst. People who bought SW:TOR for more than $50 and payed months of monthly fees are the guys that get slapped the most.

Get serious @ TE. :rolleyes:

This game has a crucial issue to engage people to stick around here. 1 month of subscription will be enough for every Freebie to get bored and after that?

Edited by LovarBoy

I'm sure he is serious. I think they should have had to buy the box to get the storylines personally.

Also, I really wish they weren't allowed to que up for hard modes in their non-artifact gear. It's not good enough for the content.

a lvl 50 in 4 days? Have no life and sleep lol

I agree with OP. As a subscriber, I do feel like they give away too much. Just my opinion, but also, with this knowledge, becoming a preferred player is a definite possibility in the future for me.

If the F2Pers have it so good just unsub and enjoy everything for free.

What's that? You don't want to because F2P severely limits your options even as a preferred player?

Seriously, if you think F2P is giving away the milk, create an alternate Origin account and log in as F2P. Get a feel for what it's like to have just about everything limited in one way or another. Be sure to play to 10 when your xp gets gimped.

Couple points of order:

When characters hit 50 they are now able to get Recruit MK II gear for free. You pick it up at the pvp terminal (Quest Name: New technology) and turn it in at the dropbox RIGHT next to it. It gives you everything implants, ears, relics, weapons, offhands, and armor. The text for the rewards will even say which role each is for. The MK II recruit gear is perfectly adequate for Hard Mode flashpoints and I've even healed a fresh tank in gear slightly worse and still done fine. So free or sub you get a free set of entry gear which, though blue, does fine as HM entry gear.

That being said I have leveled every AC or their faction counterparts sans Shadow/Assassin (Sentinel, Sage, Scoundrel, Vanguard, Juggernaut, Sniper, and Mercenary). I am willing to bet you could easily put all essential abilities on those two hot bars. The one I had the most difficulty with was my Sniper and that was mostly because I was very lazy and sloppy with organizing those. My two side bars usually hold non-combat stuff (buffs, QT, Fleet Pass, Speeder etc) I even turned the two extra they gave subs off because I had nothing I really needed in them as it was. More than the free 2 are not needed (Although having the sub ones is very nice/helpful so one doesn't have to open their abilities just to QT)

Dear Bioware,

As a Founder and subscriber,

Klarick

FOUNDER

Founder doesn't mean anything. You didn't do anything of significance to get that title. Bioware's business model is none of your concern. If you want it to be your concern, by all means buy shares of their company and actually stake a claim to their business. If you don't understand what I'm saying. Consider this: I shop at Walmart. I've got shirts, pants, food, etc from there. Than one day they announce they're going to have a charity drive with all the low shelf products that no one wants. And suddenly I become enraged that I have to pay money to them so that I can have shirts. But now, now there's a bunch of people getting freebies, and that just, well, that isn't fair. I personally don't want lowshelf stuff. But since they're not offering what I want for free, than NO ONE should have anything for free. Did that make sense? No, I don't think it did. Because your opinion on this isn't making sense. You are not in a position to judge the free to play model because you are not a shareholder. This is reality. I did however get a laugh out of your self entitled rant.

The game is owned by BIOWARE. Stop crying all the time. If you don't like it, then stop. The only real protest you can make is to stop giving them money.

I am Founder Beta Tester, Day one player been in the forums since Oct 2008 ( Day one of forums), and I am a subber..:D and I still can't get a fee cup of coffee..LOL

F2p is ok with me, I hope BW/EA lightens up the hotbar restictions for the f2p players, but as a person who subs the f2p really does not bother me at all.. To each their own I suppose..:)

Edited by kevlarto

I... can't tell if you're serious. Free2Players already have to buy extra quick bars.

I think it would be more appropriate for BW/EA to charge for extra content rather than for basic stuff like quickbars. Seriously.

FWIW Founder and subscriber here as well.

I also think it would be in EA's best interest to take that suggestion. All they are going to do is get the F2P players on long enough to bang their head on shortage of quickbars and they'll quit. Whereas, if you give them the interface necessities to play the game, then hook them with the story the just MIGHT sub (or buy arcs for CC).

Whilst I can't agree with the OPs sentiment and being a founder myself, find it really cringe worthy that anyone would see fit to end a post with the "founder" stamp :(

I would like to ask all of the posters hating on the current F2P model, how WOULD you implement it?

Over the last few days the vast majority of posts I have read state that all of the UI features and customization options should be free...all of the sotry should be free...WZs / FPs / Ops should be increased to like 10 a week...the list of demands for what should constitute F2P goes on and on.

This all seems to infer nothing more than a "give me all of the game for nothing and lelt me play all that the game has to offer without ever supporting it financially"! attitude.

Driz

Me personally, the only problem I have with their F2P model is the limiting of the UI. I was actually shocked that they felt that limiting your toolbars, title's, and match to chest color was a good idea. Limiting the UI to me was a mistake. I also feel that it should have been that you are limited to two characters max and that you can play the story for free up to level 20 or 25. High enough to get you hooked, but low enough to not trivialize the intent. After that, you have to either subscribe or pay the CC's for additional levels to the story. You can play the FP's/HM's/WZ's a limited amount of times a week and those are limited to only 2 to 3 certain ones (With regards to WZ's, you only get to play one of them. You have to buy access or subscribe to play the rest). Everything else seems legit with the model.

That's how I would have done it. But it's whatever. I'm a subscriber, so it doesn't affect me at all.

Dear Bioware,

As a Founder and subscriber, I'm a little dismayed that you are willing to give away so much of the game, that I pay for each month. Dont get me wrong, I like FTP options as I do think they are beneficial to the ongoing development of a game. However, the path you have chosen is unpredented in how much it gives for nothing.

A person can play the entire storyline of every class in the game, on either side of the conflict, without paying a dime! Really? That's a bit much IMO, and sort of a slap to us that pay monthly. As a suggestion I would like to see a more LOTRO type of model where a FTP'r has to buy quest packs and zone unlocks in order to progress. This method allows the FTP'ers a choice in what parts of the game they want to play WITHOUT angering those that pay a monthly subscription.

What you have done here is decide to just give the game away. I trust you know what you are doing here, but I, for one, am not too crazy about it.

Thank you,

Klarick

FOUNDER

Turbine gives away more with its free to play, in fact if anything of all the games I have played that have a Free to Play option, TOR is by far the most restricted.

The current model is fine just they way it is. You get the stories for free and some of the group content. You also get enough conveniences to play the game well. And to all the people ragging on the OP, the people whining that F2P players need to get MORE for free are just as bad. If Bioware took your advice, there would be no reason to sub any longer for anyone and they game would be broke in 6 months.

Turbine gives away more with its free to play, in fact if anything of all the games I have played that have a Free to Play option, TOR is by far the most restricted.

BS. I can't even play all of the classes in LOTRO without paying. I also have to pay for new areas so I can advance, pay for a horse, etc, etc. And you can't play Monster play at all.

OP's suggestions make the stupid, nickle-and-dime things in the current F2P model look totally reasonable and intuitive in comparison.

Why don't we go all the way, then, op. Make F2Pers unable to keybind anything. They should have to click all their abilities. All F2P characters should be naked because they don't really need to see their gear anyway. And they shouldn't be able to jump. Jumping is a privilege. Pay the sub or get out!

You people make me lose hope for the human race.

Edited by Beslley

OP's suggestions make the stupid, nickle-and-dime things in the current F2P model look totally reasonable and intuitive in comparison.

Why don't we go all the way, then, op. Make F2Pers unable to keybind anything. They should have to click all their abilities. All F2P characters should be naked because they don't really need to see their gear anyway. And they shouldn't be able to jump. Jumping is a privilege. Pay the sub or get out!

You people make me lose hope for the human race.

So, the proper direction for the human race is to promote entitlement by giving away everything for free? Making people work and pay for things is a thing if the past?

So, the proper direction for the human race is to promote entitlement by giving away everything for free? Making people work and pay for things is a thing if the past?

I'm not sure you understand how a F2P model operates, sir. The point of F2P is to enable microtransactions. People won't pay for the microtransactions if they feel they are unreasonable. You are luring people in with the free and hopefully getting them to stick around enough to feel like they ought to support you. Restricting things like UI elements and color matching just makes people feel like they are being nickled-and-dimed by a sleazy salesman. You do NOT want to give a sleazy salesman vibe.

Also not sure if master troll. If so, good job, and carry on.

P.S. I see you like Eragon. Everything you say is invalid in light of this terrible life decision.

P.P.S. I see you did not respond to my totally reasonable and not at all sarcastic F2P suggestions. I will take this silence as approval and hold it against you from now on.

Edited by Beslley

I'm not sure you understand how a F2P model operates, sir.

Also not sure if trolling

P.S. I see you like Eragon. Everything you say is invalid in light of this terrible life decision.

You sure do make a lot of ad hominem attacks. And apparently you don't know how business works.

You sure do make a lot of ad hominem attacks. And apparently you don't know how business works.

I count one ad hominem attack. Considering you did the same, I think we're even.

EDIT: In light of my previous edits and taking into account my lack of sleep, I will reconsider and say that I may have made TWO ad hominem attacks, in which case you are entitled to one free one within your next post.

Edited by Beslley