Companions ready for romance? (SGR?! Oh noes!)

Journeyer

Apologies if a thread like this already exists--I couldn't find one in search due to a mountain of discussions about "when" sgr comes to swtor.

Anyways. The darndest thing happened this weekend whilst I was enjoying some Hurricane-sponsored vacation time. I started new toon--my first Jedi Knight--and a few cheery hours later, I began to feel like there was something about my new companion, Kira.

She says these cute sort of things, you see--"Don't take this the wrong way," she says, "but I've never been so happy to see someone in my whole life!" Or, when I give her something nice, she jokes something along the lines of "you *do* like me after all!" Or that time when I meant to give her a luxury item, honestly, but they have the same picture as the courting items...and she ...well, she rather enthusiastically thanked me, as a little +24 floated up the screen.

You know, she seems to say all those little lines that people say when they want to try out the sound of telling someone that they like them, but want to phrase it off-hand so that it can be laughed off easily without taking too much of a risk. She seems to...like me.

Only trick is, I decided that for once, I'd roll a female toon. Kira doesn't seem to mind receiving courting gifts from her, and her dialogue seems to keep bordering around flirting. I mean, I hadn't intended to go a romance route, but it struck me rather interestingly to notice this happening. With most other toons, accidentally giving a courting item to a same-gender has resulted in things like "what am I supposed to do with this?" or "Uh, no thanks." Mind you, I'm only nearly through Nar Shaddaa with Kira--maybe things change? But what I'd figured would be some kind of "sisterly" thing has turned out to sound like the start of something else...

To that end: I think Kira, as far as I've gotten to know her to this point, is practically romanceable as a same-gender arc. Since the game does not "have" such a thing, I assume that somewhere down the line, a few companion dialogues differ from if I'd played a male Knight, right? But really, it seems like with the flip of a switch, Kira could be convincing either way.

So, community---what do you think? Am I missing something through not having seen much of her yet? Are there other companions who could possibly work this way? I don't mean to ask "which companions should be gay/lesbian because you'd like them to be"--I think there's already forum topics for that.

More precisely, are there storylines that you guys think could work, romantically, almost as-is?

In other words, if a checkbox appeared in prefs to say "Allow same-gender romance" and all that it did was flipped the last couple quests in a companion's arc to include what would otherwise have been the opposite-gender romance, which companions would it work for? Any?

Mind you, I'm only nearly through Nar Shaddaa with Kira--maybe things change?

Not really. I always took some of her responses as being a bit flirty as well.

However, you can never flirt back so Kira will just think that you're not interested and will go on 4vr HEARTBROKEN!!!

To that end: I think Kira, as far as I've gotten to know her to this point, is practically romanceable as a same-gender arc. Since the game does not "have" such a thing, I assume that somewhere down the line, a few companion dialogues differ from if I'd played a male Knight, right?

The difference with a male is that you can actually flirt with her. If you don't, her dialog would be the same as with a female.

As for other companions, people get the same flirty vibe from Kaliyo (Imp Agent).

As for which companions would fit, I could see any of them.

Edited by stuffystuffs

As for other companions, people get the same flirty vibe from Kaliyo (Imp Agent).

As for which companions would fit, I could see any of them.

I get the same, well, not flirty, but overly concerned in a more than just friend kind of way vibe from Vector and the male Agent. And I like it...

Edited by AelixVII

i believe they stated that current companions wont have SGRs activated, only future ones

Well, sure, but it's the "in theory" question :D

Definitely, in some cases it'd mean a whole re-write of the companion, but I was just so...startled by how "already there" Kira seems to be that...well... It almost *could* be done?

Vector--hmmm, could see that. He's got that naivety things going on that's treated as romance with the fem agent; probably could work flipped.

I get the same, well, not flirty, but overly concerned in a more than just friend kind of way vibe from Vector and the male Agent. And I like it...

For me it's Akaavi and my female Smuggler. There's something there, imo, which is more than friendship.

Latest news is that it will be with some current ones.

Intriguing.... Maybe they've come to realize the same thing about how close they already are? XD

Zenith--good one. All that talk about his Graystar. I'd buy it. :D

Who else...C2 ship droid? :D

Now that I'm thinking it over a bit more with regards to my main (shadow tank), I think Theran is probably the only one who really *wouldn't* work out in a retrofit, since his storyline is *very* focused on his pre-existing romance... And maybe Qyzen wouldn't work; no real flirting or moodiness in him, mostly just needing to hunt.

i believe they stated that current companions wont have SGRs activated, only future ones

Well, lets hope the new companions are more tougher, because the current ones are too squishy, you technically need to have a specific companion depending on your character's spec for an optimal playthrough, which i personally find as a huge mistake on bioware's part.

I do look forward to the SGR stuff, it should have been in the game from day 1, but thats just my opinion.

Well, lets hope the new companions are more tougher, because the current ones are too squishy, you technically need to have a specific companion depending on your character's spec for an optimal playthrough, which i personally find as a huge mistake on bioware's part.

Gear+Presence makes my Kira capable of decimating elites, or packs with Strongs solo. Companion toughness is fine, they just need to be kept up to date.

However, I'd love to run with my alts (brought up\down to my level) as companions, though. Naturally, it would be hard to implement AI for all classes and specs, so they could just be given "companion classes", as in "melee DPS, melee tank", etc. while they're with me.

I do look forward to the SGR stuff, it should have been in the game from day 1, but thats just my opinion.

I can agree with that. However, nothing as aggressive as Zhevran\Anders from DA1-2. They were too damn insistent. Unless they implement a "Slap" option to reject them. Hey - it's OK for women to slap men for being too bold in their advances. Why can't men slap men for exactly the same reason? Equal slapping rights for everyone, I say!

Edited by Helig

Well, lets hope the new companions are more tougher, because the current ones are too squishy,

I read this at first thinking in context of romance :p

Unless they implement a "Slap" option to reject them. Hey - it's OK for women to slap men for being too bold in their advances. Why can't men slap men for exactly the same reason? Equal slapping rights for everyone, I say!

Yes, slap option for all!

I don't think females can even do it now.

Or I guess you could roll a Sith Pureblood and use their racial ability.

Edited by stuffystuffs

I haven't gotten this far on my agent, but doesn't Ensign Temple get a little affection from courting gifts from a female Agent?

I did my research and noticed that she does, but think my brain is playing tricks on me.

Yes, well. Bowdaar gets affection with Courting gifts from the Smuggler, and I don't think he's going to be a romance option.

Yes, well. Bowdaar gets affection with Courting gifts from the Smuggler

I had no idea. I have enough Zeltron Personal Aroma Sets for both Bowdaar and Kira...although...could be taken as an insult, inundating a wookie with perfume. And my smug needs both arms intact and attached.

(I had no idea about Kira either- this'll help heaps since she's the only JK companion I don't have maxed)

The following companions have set my gaydar off:

Corso - For the 1000th time, yes, I know that you like and respect women. Why do you keep bringing it up and what are you trying to prove?

Torian - Hairstyle - he's just too prettied up to be your typical Mandalorian warrior. He often says strange innuendos to the male BH like "I'll bring up the rear".

Quinn - Dotes excessively on the male Sith Warrior. I think he actually liked it when I nearly choked him to death. Must be into BDSM?

Edited by Jenzali

Just FYI - I'm pretty sure that "courting gifts" have nothing to do with romancing and are just another type of gift like "trophy" or "imperial memorabilia"

I've heard this before, but that's not always true. It seems that some characters only accept courting gifts if you are romancing, some don't care, some only accept them from the opposite sex, some don't care. It's kind of random.

I have a male Bounty Hunter and I decided not to have the romance with Mako, and now she doesn't accept courting gifts. On the other hand, I have a female consular and I declined to romance Theran, but he still does accept courting gifts, and I think he also accepts them from male characters.

In case you're interested, according to info I got online here's a list of companions that accept courting gifts from both male and female characters. It's quite random:

Republic

Bowdaar

Akaavi Spaar

Guss Tuno

M1-4X

Aric Jorgan

Theran Cedrex

Empire

Raina Temple

Talos Drellik

Interestingly, I haven't seen anybody say Mako yet!

On my fem. Bounty Hunter I got a compliment on how well I wore my armor - and several other little things that make me feel as if Mako sees you as more than just a pal or more than just an idol. I was so sad to discover a lack of SGR - it would've worked! :(