Best And Worst Class Story?

ToffeeNinja

I've leveled Imperial Agent, Bounty Hunter, and Consular to 50, and Smuggler to level 31 so far.

My favorite is definitely Imperial Agent. I really feel like there's more twists and turns and different paths you can take on it....I've actually got both an Operative and Sniper at 50, it was just as fun the second time, lol.

I'd say the others are fine....I think it's unfair to judge a story if you haven't gotten past chapter 1, so I won't comment on Smuggler yet (chapter 1 has been pretty boring so far). And for all those who are complaining about the Consular story, yes it does get better after chapter 1. Chapter 3 was definitely the best part.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally found both the inquisitor and IA stories to be the best that I have played. Whilst the IA had so many wonderful elements to the story (like the twists etc) and definitely had decisions which have by far the biggest impact on your characters story. On the other hand the inquisitor had the build yourself up from the bottom and really made me feel like I was fighting the whole galaxy to get there which I enjoyed along with the fact you could go in so many directions with personal development.

Played Inquisitor, Consular & Bounty Hunter to 50. Trooper through Act 1. Playing a Sith Warrior + IA now (recently got ships on both).

I think that what's a good story depends on how you try to play your character. Most of the storylines expect you to be fairly cliche light-or-dark with no third path, and from the comments some others have made & from thinking about "how things could have been" I strongly suspect some stories don't even have that much variability. The different character plotlines absolutely make the game vastly more nuanced than other MMOs, but I frequently find the plotlines themselves stray into being one-dimensional (if that makes sense). Which doesn't make them un-fun (normally), but limits genuinely personalised storytelling & is frustrating if your character concept strays outside the design's boundaries.

I immensely enjoyed Sith Inquisitor as Dark. With Khem Val as my straight guy, I played the sarcastic sadist to the hilt and it was perfect. I don't think it'd work well as anything other than viciously Dark. But playing a character whose favourite activities include feeding force users to my Dashade, pillaging forbidden tombs for unstable ancient powers & making sarcastic quips while I crush the dreams of innocents (and everyone else), it's been my favourite storyline so far. Dark Indiana Jones ftw.

I enjoyed Jedi Consular as Light. It was all very zen hero unites the disparate in togetherness to spread hope to the galaxy. I could see a very-slightly-dark (end justifies means) consular working, but really it's designed for pure light. I found it enjoyable, compelling & satisfying, but not thrilling (if that makes any sense).

I found Bounty Hunter extremely frustrating as a (grey) warrior-code professional. The Gault storyline was like a force fed tickbox list of "things my character would never do". I felt like I was constantly shoved towards cliche cutout light-or-dark rather than the professional "the Contract is my bond, but I am an honourable samurai" style I was going for. I think it could have been a fun space opera romp but the moment I aimed for a more nuanced character it fell on its face hard... the Mandalorians made me hopeful, but they kept devolving to cliche mercenaries who mouthed off about warrior codes and never followed through.

I've enjoyed the Trooper but it's on hold until my american friend can xfer their smuggler to AU/NZ servers. I think my BH concept actually would work brilliantly on the trooper. So far the trooper feels the most grey of the lot - "hi, i bomb the bad guys & accidentally kill civilians/friendlies too, but you gotta break eggs to make an omelette right?". The entire trooper plotline makes me think of an examination of morality-in-war and the nuremberg defense so far ;)

Sith Warrior is early days but fun. It seems to naturally flow towards Dark & I'm playing it as emotionless loyalist Imperial. Quinn could well end up being my perfect soul mate & Vette will get out of that collar when her corpse turns to dust. I'm still very much at the being an efficient lackey stages, so we'll see.

I've heard wonderful things about the IA. So far it's interesting but too early to tell... I'm trying to play it wisecracking while making people think I'm loyal+obedient underneath it all while secretly being a closet anarchist who wants to bring down the empire when it gets down to it (light-ish but I also get on with Kal). So I'm curious to see just how much nuance that plotline ends up allowing (so far it is working).

Edited by Lakhesis

Some of the stories are really only rewarding if you play a certain alignment though, which is why I categorize them as worse than others.

Inquisitor story is really kind of bland and the ending isn't all that great if you play a pure Light Side. There is no difference in the endings whether you are Light or Dark. You start humble you end... not so humble.

By the same judgment, Consular story is also very bland, having no real difference in ending whether Light or Dark, but it seems very much so that the story in general was written with a Light Side playthrough intended. It's a diplomatic story, and if you choose to play as Dark, your diplomatic answer to everything is violence.

This is what makes stories like the Agent and Warrior so much better. You can actually sense a difference in the Light and Dark playthroughs, both actually having impact on the story all together, right from the get go, like Warriors secretly saving their old Masters and doing everything they can to protect people instead of viciously murder them, and even having an impact on what alignment one of their companions. Agents take it a step further by branching storyline with multiple endings based on alignment choices.

One thing, morality DOES play a huge part in enjoyment of story and I think some stories work better depending.

For me, and I haven't completed all

IA, JK, BH, Trooper those finished or very close to.

I think IA is just so complex with heavy twists/turns and the nature of stories being a spy just sets up for great stuff and morality feels like it matters. Companions too, and VO is great. Kailyo someone said reminded them of Jack from ME2 minus the angst and anger.

JK I played pretty gray, and made it fun. It has my favorite romance as male with Kira, idk there's many great romance arcs in classes but this had me. The story picks up when u hit Tatooine, and speeds off and Act 3 feels the most epic and the last story mission well... felt a bit like ME2 as well but was awesome. Really felt the KOTOR 3 story, as it ties back to I and II.

BH - Yeah :)

Trooper - Well... after Act 2I it just gets a little weaker idk. Jorgan actually is oen of my favorite companions of all. Trooper has prob the most sadistic DS just because ur Rep and soldier and idk its expected from a Sith but feels really wrong as Trooper :) But the end just was disappointing. Imo...

The rest I've not played fully.

JC - starter world was most boring but it got good imo after, definitely cerebral and slow, VO as male could not get into, female a lot better.

SW - Honestly I think this is one where your morality is the biggest difference like IA. LS plays tons different than DS, and you sway companion alignment. Not full LS at all, I kinda have a more... bushido code or klingon sense. I think DS tho fun wouldn't be as complex as LS seems to make it so far.

Smuggler - funniest dialogue for sure, many responses had me literally laughing out loud, playing a swinger cocky callous hot shot smuggler out for money and action and kinda forced to become more and find some heart is how I played it so far and very fun. I havent gotten passed Act I yet but this could be close to top for me.

Ive found the trooper quite boring. The dialogue responses often have a very soldier esque "Yes sir" "Right away sir" bore to them compared to the other classes. I would rather a more Republic Commando approach rather then professional approach.

I liked Sith Inquisitor's story until Chapter 2 started. Then it went downhill from there (IMO anyway)

My reasoning it went downhill:

To me, most of the other classes were like, okay, I need to get more skill. I need to get stronger; we gotta stop this; I gotta get fame. But the Inquisitor was like, okay I'm a total pansy and need a ghost to fight my battles. It's not me getting more skills, it's not me growing close to the Force; but it's me getting something else to fight my battles = depressing FOR ME. Your experience may vary.

I can't speak for the best because I haven't completed the other storylines. I can only offer my thoughts on what I've experienced so far:

Jedi Consular's Chapter 1 is pretty dull.

Jedi Knight's is good so far.

Smuggler's is probably the most entertaining just because they made them so amusing.

Trooper's Prologue starts off pretty intense. (And it's pretty amusing that you can backtalk every CO you get for no repurcussion)

Sith Warrior's has been interesting also, but I think it's mostly because I'm more interested into what odd comment Vette will make next. Prologue and Chapter 1 feel kinda meh otherwise, Chapter two is bit more rising in anticipation though, if I didn't get those mixed up, which I might have.

Bounty Hunter and Imperial Agent has been really interesting so far, yet I've only gotten into Chapter 1.

Best Class Story:

1.) Sith Warrior: Plays radically differently depending on your DS/LS choices and makes you feel like a total boss after Chapter 1 and during the Final Batte (Won't spoil it for anybody who hasn't finished the SW story).

2.) Bounty Hunter: You really feel as if you aren't a member of the Sith Empire and that you are indeed an independent agent in the Galaxy. You can decide to better the Empire or the Republic (indirectly of course).

Worst Class Story:

1.) Jedi Consular: Boring, doesn't reward Light Side choices as much as it seems to praise Dark Side choices. You don't feel like an important individual like you do in Jedi Knight or Sith Inquisitor. You feel like a tool rather than a wise and powerful Jedi Master.

2.) Trooper: "Yes Sir", "Right away Sir", "I fight for the Republic"...urgh...is anybody else tired of all this?? You're another dumb yes-man army grunt. You don't feel like a commando. I would greatly prefer the Republic Commando style dialogue; informal, makes you feel like a total boss. When I play trooper I feel like punching my character through my computer because he feels like such a tool.

My Gf wanted to play Imps which was a tad ruff for me. (rep fan). So I started as neutral as possible.

-BH (Lvl 50)

(played to 50) Enjoyable Story (Lets you bend the rules a lil and in a way indirectly support the Rep if u want to.)

-IA (AIII)

Wanted to try something different. I agree hands down great story from start to finish. Luv the ship!

(My Fav class in ToR) as far as whole package.

-SW (AII)

Got a little curios for the sith. I must say you can actually play a good sith lol...And with the factions in the story makes even more room. And I like the interactions doing such can bring out with companions. (Had no idea there were even jedi-esc sith.) In a way supplements Jedi lore by playing through this storyline.

-Jedi (AIII)

starts out horribly slow :/ Then works into typical Jedi Hero with Epic ending.

-Smuggler (AII)

Im trying hard; its very firefly? Or whatever that 90s actors name was...) Lotta personality possibilities.

Its just Ive been taken over by AI story and I prefer the rifle. (Current character)

-Trooper (AIII)

(If your the soldier ME style player it is like many say. (very similar). I live the mechanics and the Armour.

(Was my Fav before I got into BH).

Depending on how you play your character this can actually drastically change the feel of story for most classes.

I haven't played past 20 on any character, so my experience is limited, but from what I've seen:

Jedi Sage: Not for everyone, myself partially included. Everything that happens in this story seems emotionless, it fits well with the idea of the Jedi code, avoiding emotions or extremes, but it's fairly boring.

Smuggler: Loved the prologue story line (Keeping it spoiler free) it was exciting and personal, how the story ends up dragging the smuggler along the republic leveling planets afterwards, however feels kinda lazy.

Republic Trooper: I enjoyed the fact that it made being a solider difficult. It was the first story where I actually wanted to make dark side choices simply because of what was being thrown at me, it felt night and day different from a Jedi and I appreciated that.

Best: Imp. Agent, Trooper, Jedi Knight, Smuggler

-Agent is very interesting, like a James Bond film almost. Lots of twists and intrigue.

-Trooper makes you feel like the head of an elite military squad. Dialogue is a little hit or miss, but overall pretty good.This is my personal favorite.

-Jedi Knight starts slowly, but ramps up into the typical "Jedi Superhero" story. Epic ending.

-Smuggler has by far the best dialogue, though the story was a little less awesome I think. Dialogue easily makes up for it.

Worst by a huge margin: Jedi Consular

Terrible. Boring, emotionless dialogue, boring plot, poor (Male) to mediocre (Female) voice acting. Just a boring and bland story throughout. I couldn't force myself to play past about level 28.

Have not yet played Sith Warrior or Bounty Hunter. I've heard good things about both of them though.

Edited by MetallicaRulez

• 2 weeks later...

My first character was the Jedi consular. Many think the story is boring because it has too much diplomacy and not enough action, but I think it's the opposite. The first chapter is great. It's all about seeking knowledge. After that it just goes downhill. I feel more like an errand girl than a diplomat. I have no choice in anything I do. It's just blah. And the ending was boring. Finished the final boss at 48, with myself and my companion undergeared.

I just finished Ch. 1 of the Imp Agent story, and I can already tell it's awesome. Intriguing, interesting, with HUGE difficult moral decisions. Love it.

I've also done the first ch. of the Inquisitors storyline. It's okay. It's kinda fun being pure evil, but other than that, it's kinda average.

I'm also in the first chapter of the BH storyline. The story itself isn't all that interesting or new, but it's the characters that make it good. Mako is a fabulous little spitfire, and I like Chysta.

Edit: I also had a JK that I got to chapter two. Ended up deleting her cause I was bored with it and wanted to start over. It's meh. Kira's the only interesting thing about it. It's exactly how you would expect a Knight's story to go.

Edited by chimunga

I agree with other posters, it depends on your personality whether you will enjoy the Jedi Consular quest line or just hate it. Personally, I found it to be great through all acts. Really the most problems I had was learning how to control my companions especially their AOE attacks breaking CC and dishing out too much DPS which would steal aggro. Jedi Consulars do not handle powerful enemies in numbers very well without some CC in play. Now, I have no problems even when using Nadia Grell and can both heal (proven during the Black Hole “Shadows” group quest) and dish out DPS. In fact, I now use her most of the time since I followed the marriage route and Padawan path with her.

Now with the Bounty Hunter, up to level 28 anyway, has been a blast. Mako keeps my BH in line ... LOL The only fight I lost is because of either a bug or stupid game mechanic of only 1 healing mepac per fight. I lost a prolonged boss fight because I could not use another healing medpac and the cool down had already expired.

As for the Trooper, so far up to level 12, it is very military like and I have enjoyed it thus far. Once I am done, I will post my conclusions for both the BH and TR,

Edited by Lorica

• 2 months later...
I would say honestly on the empire side my favorite so far is the warrior. least favorite is without a doubt the ****** cliche commando story for the republic. but hey what do I know I've only gotten far with two toons, but I have started the agent since I saw so many damn posts about the story being good and I agree its very well written which is something i didn't expect but hey woo hoo!! swtor rocks Edited by Ivar_Tiorstien

• 4 weeks later...

I've only played Consular story to completion so far, getting really close with my Sith Warrior too. As for the Consular, the story is all right. I'm always going to be attached to my Shadow and her story though, because she is the first character I ever made. Her story was definitely slow at times, but I think that fit with being a Consular. She's a diplomat and a mediator, not an action hero like the Jedi Knight or Sith Warrior.

Speaking of Sith Warrior, I've enjoyed the story so far. I'm in the beginning of Chapter 3 right now. So far it's been fun. I think Chapter 1 is really strong but Chapter 2 not so much. I have high hopes for Chapter 3 though and an exciting conclusion.

I've got a level 10 Trooper and a level 17 Imperial Agent. Yeah, the Trooper's story seems a little cheesy at first, but I can appreciate the corniness. The Imperial Agent story is completely addicting though. My Sniper is drawing me away from finishing my Marauder's story. Oopsies.

in my opinion...so far

best = smuggler

worst = trooper

not that i dislike the trooper story. it's good, and i like the companions you get. it's just made the least impact on me so far, though i have yet to finish chapter 3.

smuggler by far was the most addicting story to me. i loved the humor and all the one liners. not to mention, the female smuggler's voice is absolutely brilliant.

All stories have good and bad parts. For example in the knight's story the transition from chap1 to chap2 is ridiculously fast, as from being a padawan you are called to do what you have to do. Consular's story, chap1 is yawn, but the rest of the chapters are cool; and basically fit with the role of a consular. Also the sith's stories fit with their role, both warrior and inquisitor. In some respects it seems that the jedi's and sith's stories are "inspired" by a char in the movies imo. Knight=Luke, consular=Qui-gon/Owi-wan, warrior=Vader, inquisitor=Palpatine.

Smuggler's is not my favourite, contrary to agent's which is good. Started the bounty's and seems good from start. Not a clue about trooper's. Imo this class should not even exist given the period in the star wars timeline that swtor takes place.

After recently playing through the Sith Warrior story I must say I absolutely love it, especially the female voice. I always got the feeling that what I did mattered for the empire, and I swear, at some points SWTOR was a RPG and not an ORPG.

I am currently on my second warr now, first one I went "whatever floated my boat at the moment" and sometimes you got that lapdog feel, but I think that would perfectly resemble how a sith apprentice actually feels towards his/her master. Next playthrough I'll roll more neutral options, which, at the few times I picked em proved to lead to intruiging chat options.

Worst, jedi consular. I have nothing new to add on this discussion so I'll just leave it at that.

I was hugely disappointed with the Smuggler story. They should just rename the class "Republic Bounty Hunter" because it has nothing to do with being a Smuggler.

The story starts off great, but the entire premise of Act 1 is flawed because it can never pay off. The end is very, very anti-climatic.

For the rest of the story you're literally just a mercenary for the Republic, killing stuff, that's it. If you're hoping for a true Smuggler/Firefly like experience, this isn't it.

Edit: Smuggler also has Corso Riggs, who is the most insufferable NPC I've ever encountered.

Edited by jealouspirate