why does crafted purples destroy set bonus?

L-RANDLE

They changed it with 2.0 so that the Rakata, Columi, and Tionese set bonuses were tied to the Armoring and not the shell.

While I understand when the change happened, my question is still valid... It would mean as a minimum I would need raid quality mats or drops otherwise lose set bonus if I want to improve my gear...

Edited by L-RANDLE

While I understand when the change happened, my question is still valid... It would mean as a minimum I would need raid quality mats or drops otherwise lose set bonus if I want to improve my gear...

You are exactly correct. That is the only option at the moment you have unless u keep the existing armors in their slots and dont change them.

The grade 26 (Campaign) armorings are still available for comms and don't require raid drops.

The grade 27 (Dread Guard) armorings can be gotten from HM EC, which is much much easier now that it can be overleveled (it's still a level 50 operation).

You lose some points of your main stat and some endurance by not upgrading those. But remember, there are 25 slots for armoring, hilts, barrels, mods and enhancements that can all be crafted for grade 31. With 4 of them at grade 26/27, that still leaves 21 that can be high end.

And for the remaining 4 slots, yes, you are required to raid to get those to Grade 30 or better. As far as I'm concerned, this is a good thing and shouldn't changed back to how it was before 2.0.

Edited by Khevar

The grade 26 (Campaign) armorings are still available for comms and don't require raid drops.

The grade 27 (Dread Guard) armorings can be gotten from HM EC, which is much much easier now that it can be overleveled (it's still a level 50 operation).

You lose some points of your main stat and some endurance by not upgrading those. But remember, there are 25 slots for armoring, hilts, barrels, mods and enhancements that can all be crafted for grade 31. With 4 of them at grade 26/27, that still leaves 21 that can be high end.

And for the remaining 4 slots, yes, you are required to raid to get those to Grade 30 or better. As far as I'm concerned, this is a good thing and shouldn't changed back to how it was before 2.0.

But there is not a legitimate reason why my crafted 53 should delete my set bonus on gear attained in the previous system. It's not like I am replacing it with another set bonus. The previous system was fine and provided player choice in what set bonus they wanted to carry. In done with raiding and PVE all together if they keep doing garbage like this...

... In done with raiding and PVE all together if they keep doing garbage like this...

That's your choice.

If you enjoy raiding, you'll get the Arkanian set bonus anyway, so I don't see what the big deal is.

If you don't enjoy raiding, then the problem is bigger than the set bonus, isn't it?

Just wondering. Are you forcing me to raid now?

Because that is the price you pay for gear customization. People were complaining that you were forced to use the rakata grade shells to keep the set bonus. Now it's moved to the armoring, and people still complain.

That said, I would think crafters should be able to somehow move or create the set bonuses.

You didn't have to raid to get set bonus previously. On top of that, now I have to sacrifice my current set to improve my gear or raid?

Color me irritated. The whole point to customization and crafting was that you didn't need to do endgame ops to get everything.. I guess that is now thrown out the window. Typical Dev 180...

It's fine, regardless of how incredibly dumb it is... I just won't use the armor slot, and won't bother making them anymore because no one will buy them......

Yet another feather in the endgame crafting cap...

Because that is the price you pay for gear customization. People were complaining that you were forced to use the rakata grade shells to keep the set bonus. Now it's moved to the armoring, and people still complain.

That said, I would think crafters should be able to somehow move or create the set bonuses.

BTW, I have no issue moving the bonus to armor on raid gear, but crafted is a different story.... There was noting wrong with using crafted armoring in shells previously, why change it now?

Either I'm not understanding you or you're understanding and not liking it.

From the top this is how it was:

Set bonus was on Rakata, Columi or Tionese shells (shells being the moddable item without mods in)

You could swap in and out armourings and the set bonus from the shell would still apply.

The exception was if you put in a Campaign or Dread Guard set bonus armouring, that would take effect instead.

This is how it is:

All set bonuses on shells were deleted. Any set bonus on a shell was moved to whatever armouring was installed at the time.

Removing the armouring with the set bonus does what it says. The shell has no bonus so you now have no bonus.

Overwriting a set bonus armouring with a blank armouring deletes the set bonus armouring AND the set bonus which was on it.

So in a nutshell if you stay out of top raids you will not be able to upgrade armouring with set bonuses.

If you upgrade with crafted armourings you will always be 1 tier below a raiders armouring and still have no set bonus.

Edited by Gyronamics

Either I'm not understanding you or you're understanding and not liking it.

From the top this is how it was:

Set bonus was on Rakata, Columi or Tionese shells (shells being the moddable item without mods in)

You could swap in and out armourings and the set bonus from the shell would still apply.

The exception was if you put in a Campaign or Dread Guard set bonus armouring, that would take effect instead.

This is how it is:

All set bonuses on shells were deleted. Any set bonus on a shell was moved to whatever armouring was installed at the time.

Removing the armouring with the set bonus does what it says. The shell has no bonus so you now have no bonus.

Overwriting a set bonus armouring with a blank armouring deletes the set bonus armouring AND the set bonus which was on it.

So in a nutshell if you stay out of top raids you will not be able to upgrade armouring with set bonuses.

If you upgrade with crafted armourings you will always be 1 tier below a raiders armouring and still have no set bonus.

You could use *crafted Camp/BH in those shells and not lose set bonus. Which means I didn't need to raid to get them. So no... I had the same 63 as raiders did without losing and set bonus...

You could use *crafted Camp/BH in those shells and not lose set bonus. Which means I didn't need to raid to get them. So no... I had the same 63 as raiders did without losing and set bonus...

The change was made to encourage raiding.

Now, as I said earlier, you either already like raiding or you already don't like it. If you like it, keep going -- you'll keep your set bonus on the next tier. If you don't, then 21 out of 25 pieces of your gear (including the Main Hand and Offhand) can be Underworld-level gear and still keep your set bonus.

Unless you're a tank, and you need the extra armor rating for mitigation, all you're giving up is 64 points of main stat. That's the equivalent of 2 augments or 1/4 of a stim. I.e. Not a Big Deal At All.

Yeah i am very unhappy with them ruining my old tionese/columni/rakata shells i worked for and have absolutely no wish to raid for again.

I was quite dismayed when 2.0 arrived and all my set bonuses went poof the second i slotted my new crafted armorings.

Yet another unnecessary "fix" of something that wasnt broken for no good reason.

The change was made to encourage raiding.

Now, as I said earlier, you either already like raiding or you already don't like it. If you like it, keep going -- you'll keep your set bonus on the next tier. If you don't, then 21 out of 25 pieces of your gear (including the Main Hand and Offhand) can be Underworld-level gear and still keep your set bonus.

Unless you're a tank, and you need the extra armor rating for mitigation, all you're giving up is 64 points of main stat. That's the equivalent of 2 augments or 1/4 of a stim. I.e. Not a Big Deal At All.

Ok let's just assume I wanted to raid..... Do you feel I should give up my set bonus to go on said raid? I mean if my guild is running NiM Ops, do I choose gear upgrade or set bonus.. That's the problem. You shouldnt have to sacrifice your set bonus in order to upgrade your gear otherwise its not really an upgrade....

See my point?

I ran FP/Dailies to get my shells. I made crafted armoring to keep them. Now, I am stuck raiding if I want to keep my set bonus and upgrade my gear.... I don't need encouragement to raid, and it is now having the opposite affect..

Edited by L-RANDLE

Ok let's just assume I wanted to raid..... Do you feel I should give up my set bonus to go on said raid? I mean if my guild is running NiM Ops, do I choose gear upgrade or set bonus.. That's the problem. You shouldnt have to sacrifice your set bonus in order to upgrade your gear otherwise its not really an upgrade....

See my point?

I ran FP/Dailies to get my shells. I made crafted armoring to keep them. Now, I am stuck raiding if I want to keep my set bonus and upgrade my gear.... I don't need encouragement to raid, and it is now having the opposite affect..

You don't have to give up your set bonus to go on raids. Just keep your armorings that already have the set bonus.

The difference between 63 armorings and 72 armorings is 16 points of main stat, which isn't very much. You're not hurting your ability to raid with the lower-level armorings.

I know this because I prefer the old Commando 4-piece set bonus, so I went into NM TfB and cleared the first boss wearing mostly 72 gear with the exception of 4 pieces of DG armoring.

So if this is good enough for NM The Writhing Horror, you can rest assured it's plenty good enough for every other raid in the game.

I think it's to prevent using pve armoring with pvp armor, or vice versa. Or prevent you using tionese shells and just buy high level armoring and have raid gear without raiding.

But yeah, it kinda screws cybertech.

Edited by anwg

You don't have to give up your set bonus to go on raids. Just keep your armorings that already have the set bonus.

The difference between 63 armorings and 72 armorings is 16 points of main stat, which isn't very much. You're not hurting your ability to raid with the lower-level armorings.

I know this because I prefer the old Commando 4-piece set bonus, so I went into NM TfB and cleared the first boss wearing mostly 72 gear with the exception of 4 pieces of DG armoring.

So if this is good enough for NM The Writhing Horror, you can rest assured it's plenty good enough for every other raid in the game.

16 main? Less end, less crit rating, less armor rating. Good enough is not the point anyway... I should not even have to choose in a scenario where I am upgrading my gear via crafting. Then add in the fact that my cybertech has useless endgame items, further deepens my disstain for this move. It didn't need to be made and alienated vets that did the endgame activities to obtain them.

I don't know about your guild, but mine will probably not want to see lvl 63 anything in one of the new NiM Ops. If I were returning, it would be stupid that I would need to do the same ops over again to get the set bonus, if I want to upgrade my gear.

[Edit]....

Edited by L-RANDLE

But yeah, it kinda screws cybertech.

Remember, even leaving the set bonus alone there are still 3 slots that can be filled with crafted armoring, and for any non-dual-wielding class, the offhand slot. Actually, an offhand armoring will give you a considerable damage or healing boost, as it directly tech/force power by a large margin.

Also, have you seen the endurance-heavy mods in the Verpine gear? Ugh. Unlettered-mods-cybertech-for-the-win.

Cybertech may not be the endgame-dominating crafting profession it was before 2.0 dropped, but it's hardly screwed.

I don't know about your guild, but mine will probably not want to see lvl 63 anything in one of the new NiM Ops. If I were returning, it would be stupid that I would need to do the same ops over again to get the set bonus, if I want to upgrade my gear.

I get that it's the principle of the thing that bothers you, but if you did decide to get back into end-game raiding, you're not going to be able to go into NM TfB cold anyway. There are a lot of punishing mechanics to learn, and SM and/or HM would be the way to bridge that gap.

If you were decked out in full crafted 72 gear, less 4 pieces of DG armoring, there isn't a single HM Operation in the game you'd be undergeared for. While practing HM TfB and HM S&V, you would then get Underworld drops and fill in your missing high-end armoring, keeping your set bonus.

It seems a simple enough solution to me.

Edited by Khevar

16 main? Less end, less crit rating, less armor rating. Good enough is not the point anyway... I should not even have to choose in a scenario where I am upgrading my gear via crafting.

Your attitude seems more likely to make you unwelcome in any Guild operations, rather than your gear... ;)

However: you may not be aware that you can change every other component of the 5 main pieces EXCEPT the armorings without affecting the set bonus. The set bonus is only lost if you trash the existing armoring. And, you only need 4 of those pieces for the full bonus.

Thus, all you do lose is a SMALL amount of armor, main stat, and endurance. And for most classes, that IS an entirely acceptable trade-off, until such time as they can get the Arkanian 4-piece.

If, however, your expectation is that you can have the very best gear without doing Operations, you are destined to be perpetually disappointed.

Edited by Ancaglon

Your attitude seems more likely to make you unwelcome in any Guild operations, rather than your gear... ;)

However: you may not be aware that you can change every other component of the 5 main pieces EXCEPT the armorings without affecting the set bonus. The set bonus is only lost if you trash the existing armoring. And, you only need 4 of those pieces for the full bonus.

Thus, all you do lose is a SMALL amount of armor, main stat, and endurance. And for most classes, that IS an entirely acceptable trade-off, until such time as they can get the Arkanian 4-piece.

If, however, your expectation is that you can have the very best gear without doing Operations, you are destined to be perpetually disappointed.

Unwelcome? No. I feel its my responsibility to show up with the best possible gear. Does this new system afford me that? No...

Now let me make a dumb *** assumption about you. So you are one of those raiders huh? Sorry friend, but if I can afford to buy/craft said item and get top level gear without setting foot in a raid, don't hate. I had DG gear and only did TFB once... See that's the problem with this whole mess. You shouldn't have to raid to get/craft endgame items. The devs said it themselves way back when.

Regardless of how minor it might seem to you, its an issue. Remove the overwrite on crafted armorings...

Edited by L-RANDLE

Regardless of how minor it might seem to you, its an issue. Remove the overwrite on crafted armorings...

See, I like the current set up. I think it's a good thing for the game. I also know it's a good thing for me, as I've been raiding more often, and others in my guild have been raiding more often. During 1.7 most of the people I know slowed down quite a bit on raiding, due to everything being craftable.

So I've been trying to come up with suggestions that will allow you to get what you want without reverting this change.

Tell me WHY is it an issue to you?

a) You can keep the set bonus on 61/63 armorings

b) You get get very very close to fully optimized 72s less those 4 armorings.

c) You will be able to run any HM Operation in the game with such gear easily.

d) You will be able to run most of NM TfB in that gear (I can't speak to NM DG as I haven't beat it yet)

So what's the problem? What is it that you think you can't do under the current setup?

Edited by Khevar

Unwelcome? No. I feel its my responsibility to show up with the best possible gear. Does this new system afford me that? No...

Now let me make a dumb *** assumption about you. So you are one of those raiders huh? Sorry friend, but if I can afford to buy/craft said item and get top level gear without setting foot in a raid, don't hate. I had DG gear and only did TFB once... See that's the problem with this whole mess. You shouldn't have to raid to get/craft endgame items. The devs said it themselves way back when.

Wrong.

Top Tier gear has always required the effort of clearing top tier content. If you are truly interested in showing up "with the best possible gear" then you make the effort to do what you need to in order to have that best possible gear.

The change from the set bonuses being on the shell being moved to the armoring was done so that people were not restricted from using customized armor. In addition to that, being able to keep set bonuses from outdated content through new tiers of gear defeats the entire purpose of new tiers of content. Not one MMO I know of allows that, so why should this one be any different?

If you want set bonuses, earn them by running SM Ops until you have the gear for HM Ops and then graduate to NiM Ops. You don't need the set bonuses for SM, so you aren't missing anything.

Actually, it does. The set bonus >>>>>> crafted anything for many classes/specs. Replacing your dread guard armorings with crafted pieces and destroying the set bonus would actually be a downgrade for nearly everyone.

Quit looking at that little 63 and thinking any 69/72 is better because, in most cases, it simply isn't true.