How many people on this forum hate the Yuuzhan Vong?

Aitix

Title says all.

I personally didn't like the NJO because it was too long but I especially didn't like the Vong because they didn't feel like they should have been in Star Wars to begin with. The writers REALLY overdid the biotechnology angle of the Vong. I mean, I don't mind biotechnology in Star Wars but they overdid it with the Vong so much so that it quickly got boring and unremarkable

Personally I love NJO series and Yuuzhan Vong.

Other books in the Expanded Universe just fabricate more and more stories about Force users that make Darth Vader look like a complete Force noob, while on the other hand Yuuzhan Vong provided a fresh idea that didn't really go against the original Star Wars ideas about Force users.

Let's face it, Vader was "Force Jesus", even stated that his amount of midichlorians was unprecedented in history, etc.

And then you get tons of Darths in EU prior to Darth Vader who were supposed to be (almost) godlike. It simply went too far and since Yuuzhan Vong are not Force users and a completely new entity, I prefer them instead of a whole squadron of star killers, planet movers or whatever else newfound Darths were supposed to be doing.

Most didn't like it because it was a radical departure from classic star wars. I think it was a GOOD departure and it shook things up in the EU universe.

Plus it was something that hadn't really been encountered before, a species cut off from the force and how could the jedi deal with such a threat.

Plus we saw some jedi children grow up in a war and come of age. Overall i thought it was an awesome series.

I thought the Vong were well thought out, original and threatening antagonists. Unlike "Darth" Caedeus and the Lost Tribe.

not a fan.

however after the vong war it's not bad ie the Fate of the Jedi Series.

clearly the polar opisite of this fellow. Everyone likes different things.

I wonder if on average people who liked NJO disliked DNT-FOTJ and vice versa.

Edited by TheBentOne

I actually enjoyed the NJO, but its been awhile since I read it since the copies I had of the series were destroyed in a flood that hit my room a few years ago. I've been restricted as far as cash, but things have changed in recent days and I intend to re-collect not only the NJO series, but also collect the Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi series'. I didn't get to finish Fate of the Jedi, but I loved Legacy (except for Karen Traviss's ****** view of things....), and I thought it was a fairly decent depiction of someone falling to the dark side. Jacen's fall actually made a lot more sense to me than Anakin's did, whether you go by books or the films. Anakin's fall was too rushed, while they dedicated an entire book to Jacen slowly but surely heading down the Dark Path, and he continued to do so for the next four books until he killed Mara, at which point he takes the name Darth Caedus.

The only thing I didn't like about NJO was Chewie's death, but when I read Vector Prime, I was about 13 or 14, so even though I was a budding storyteller, I didn't quite see the reasoning. Now, remembering the shock I felt, I realize why it was included, and Han points it out quite nicely at the end. That there seemed to be a 'bubble' around the Skywalker-Solo family, and that Chewie's death had burst that bubble, leaving them vulnerable. Then we get several Jedi dying throughout the Vong War, including Anakin Solo, further pointing to the fact that things are not the same.

Finally, I gotta say this series was refreshing. The previous book series for Star Wars at this point was the one regarding the Academy on Yavin 4 and its challenges, including a conflict with the Shadow Academy which was basically the Nightsisters trying to resurrect their order plus the Sith. The Vong, on the other hand, blinded the Jedi and left them vulnerable, something that even the SIth don't seem capable of doing post-ROTJ, when they show up, unless they use Ysalimiri. The Vong's bio-tech was also interesting to read about. Funnily enough, I think the idea of the Vong was brought up long before it became a reality with the book 'Rogue Planet', but its been a while since I read that one. I remember that it did get tied to NJO by Vergere and eventually the Jedi seeking out Zonama Sekote again.

I don't mind the Jedi facing a worthy foe; but I also think the foe should be one that does actually challenge them. The part of the Fate of the Jedi series I liked most regarding the Mandalorians was that their military might was shown again rather than them just being farmers and such like in LOTF. The Vong gave the Jedi a challenge, matured them more than a Sith Lord could have. A Sith Lord could have preyed on the fears and arrogance of the Jedi of the time and re-built the rival order to a former strength. But the writers of the series could see that the whole 'evil Force user' shtick was beginning to stagnate, and they came up with something different. Something fresh.

Regardless of one's opinion of the Vong War, it gave readers a break from the Sith/Jedi rivalry, so when that rivalry returned in Legacy, it was a bit more potent than if it had begun after the Young Jedi Knights series.

I didn't like it, but the thing I didn't like about it the mots was that comparatively speaking it all occurred so close to the GCW. They have just packed way too much stuff into the lives of the Big Three. They all should have faded into the sunset after ROTJ and most of these stories told well in the future. From the sounds of it the people making EP7 have a similar take since the word is that the Big Three will only be there to hand over the series to a new generation.

I liked the idea of an outside threat that united the galaxy against them, but I wasn't a fan of how they presented them.

They are living proof that the force doesn't connect ALL living things. Maybe if they were more like the phyrexians from Magic: The Gathering they would have been scarier and it would have made since that they aren't as affected by the force since they're mostly machine abominations.

It was definitely a breath of fresh air though compared to the constant Jedi v Sith stories...

I hate the bastards because they make Sidious look like a saint. They're so evil that I'd put every single one of them on one planet and then nuke it from space a la Korhal IV in Starcraft.:csw_deathstar_un:

EDIT: Except for Vua Rapuung. He was the only good one.

Edited by Matteone

the whole star wars lore and story in the movies and the events after the movies are soo bad ,the Vong included that its unbelivable.

To me real the real Star Wars is the old republic.I even hated the star wars franchise untill i played kotor.

Everything else beyond Bane,the vong included is a joke.

Edited by Kaedusz

the whole star wars lore and story in the movies and the events after the movies are soo bad ,the Vong included that its unbelivable.

To me real the real Star Wars is the old republic.I even hated the star wars franchise untill i played kotor.

Everything else beyond Bane,the vong included is a joke.

Well, personally I grew up with the original trilogy so that plays an important role in my views. But also the original trilogy was the original idea by George Lucas which he expanded a bit in movies 1-3. The rest is just a product of other authors that was authorized by Lucas company but still not something Lucas would have done himself.

So technically, what you like is not real Star Wars but a copy based on original idea. Personally I like many books but when we talk about real Star Wars, here is part of George's quote from 2008:"...And now there have been novels about the events after Episode VI, which isn't at all what I would have done with it. The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story. Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned and Luke doesn't get married..." .