So I tried to tell my wife...

SteffizleESQ

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many spouse points did you lose with that one?

Hubby and I solved the problem by gaming together. :D

I truly wished it worked this way at my house. My wife is a lost cause when it comes to gaming. Unfortunately she thinks this game along with every other mmo that i've played are stupid.

I truly wished it worked this way at my house. My wife is a lost cause when it comes to gaming. Unfortunately she thinks this game along with every other mmo that i've played are stupid.

Comments are being made by my better half because I haven't set her machine up again after redecorating........

She really wants to get on TOR!

My solution: Only get involved with women who share my intrests. It makes finding things to do together awesome, seriously my lady drags me to tabletop game stores and nags me to pay attention to the game when I try to make sure she isn't feeling ignored.

Found her at a D&D game.

Plus, gaming gear being a "romantic gift" is just awesome.

It does require having to accept that I may not at all times be the most hardcore gamer in the couple.

Big part of the problem is a lot of women (not all by any stretch) think that you need to "grow up". Some feel that you always have to be changing in life or they need to be changing you. They can never just "be". Also, they fail to see that it's a hobby, or type of entertainment you enjoy. If you were not doing this you would be doing some other hobby. If you can't find a life partner that understands this or respects your "you time" your relationship is going to be full of the same. You also know she will be the type to talk behind your back to her friends about the "childish" things you do.

Good luck.

Edited by permz
because i felt like it

My solution: Only get involved with women who share my intrests.

See, that would have been great if when i was dating, I had already been playing mmo's. It was just PS1 and no real mmo's were introduced that i had actually noticed.

why did you marry such a narrow minded person by the way ?

she sounds quite boring and uninteresting

LOL the juggle is hard to get right, the fine line of balance between divorce and bliss... My marriage ended in 2005, maybe part of that was my addiction to online gaming. My ex wife didnt share my hobby. It was a brutal lesson and since then any relationship ive had ive made sure not to over play at all.....

BUT,,,,,, where can I find me a female online gamer lol.... can play together lol.....

Ladies Please fill out application form,,,,,,,

Name:

Pulse: Yes / No (lol)

Game Addiction Score level : 1-10 (1 being not very 10 being addict)

Other interests :

Region : (UK be nice)

Edited by SNEAKYSIX

...that playing 30-60 minutes a day makes me a "casual" player.

Bad idea.

Lol, I had a girlfriend like that once... then I met a girl who enjoyed gaming and we played SWG together, but she insisted on playing Rebel when I was Empire. Eventually she dumped me for killing her too often in faction warfare...

Now I have a girlfriend who commented on my friendship with my old SWG guildies (no joke) when we first got together, that you cannot have friends you have never met. Then they are not friends, they are just casual acquaintances. I then introduced her to Facebook, and she now has 500+ FB friends and has changed her position. Still not got her into SWTOR though :(

Try to reserve a couple of days per week for 3 hours of gaming each time, rather than 1 hour every day.

Both my hubby and I play SWTOR (WoW and Rift before that), but we don't play every day. THAT would be childish in our situation.

I of course don't think that playing video games by adults is childish, but it is childish to put your gaming before your partner, kids and job or studies, and before your own well-being.

Some gamers start to sacrifice chores, dinner quality time, doggy walk time, playing with their own kids time, whatever, just to find more time for gaming. This is what partners or parents of gamers are most concerned about, so just promise and prove that playing won't interfere with your normal life.

Enjoy responsibly, in other words :-)

why did you marry such a narrow minded person by the way ?

she sounds quite boring and uninteresting

Nope, quite the opposite which is just a couple of the many reasons why I married her.

I of course don't think that playing video games by adults is childish, but it is childish to put your gaming before your partner, kids and job or studies, and before your own well-being.

Some gamers start to sacrifice chores, dinner quality time, doggy walk time, playing with their own kids time, whatever, just to find more time for gaming. This is what partners or parents of gamers are most concerned about, so just promise and prove that playing won't interfere with your normal life.

Enjoy responsibly, in other words :-)

Couldn't have said it better myself. With my current job, the times I play just happen to fall into the times where she is at work and the kids are at school. This way when the kids get home, I can help them with their homework or whatever else they need. They also like playing so after the homework, I can log on with them and play for an hour or so before the wife gets home to spend time with her.

I see this in far too many relationships. Women are very narrow minded about this topic. I will never understand why. Most would be totally ok with me building model airplanes for three hours per night but if instead I wanna kill some Jedi, then I am a child who needs to grow up and act like a man bla bla bla.

Here it is. People fear what they do not understand. I imagine your wife spends at least 4 hours a day staring at facebook or gawking at E-TV trying to find out what Brangelina is up to. The only real difference, is you are becoming a better typer and improving your hand-eye coordination.

Ask her if going out to the club with your boys a few nights a week would be better.

if your in your 30s, even early 40s you are born into the first console/gaming/generation.

Atari 2600 (cartridge slotter)

Commadore 64.

Amiga

Master System

Mega Drive

Nintendo 64

Playstation

PC

Playstation 2

Xbox 360

Playstation 3

Gaming Laptop

This is my history of gaming... My hobby....

But its not my life, family comes first this is my bonus on nights when theres nothing on TV. My ex-spouse stated its not the gaming itself thats the issue its the fact your chatting and having conversations with others and not me...... Which when you look at it,, was true....

...that playing 30-60 minutes a day makes me a "casual" player.

Bad idea.

My wife and I play together. I'll get home, and she'll make dinner, which gives me time to check for things on my main character, guild, and send off companions. Then after dinner we get on and level our alts together.

She typically works most evenings, but she also knows that I am one of those "average" players that does at least 5 hours a day :cool:

Ok, I had to get in on this one. Perspective from a 24 yr old, successful salesman.

My fiancee left me last december (2010) because I did not treat her with respect, and prioritize her over my hobbies. Looking back she had every right to do this and I believe we are both in better relationships currently.

There are two very important keys to successfully have a relationship and mmo coexist IMO: balance, and the ability for both of you to understand this is a hobby.

My current gf of 6 months allows me to bring friends over to her place for a d&d game a run on wednesdays. But we both understand gaming is my hobby. I even used the word 'passionate' when I first started testing the waters by confessing that I enjoy gaming.

However, equally important is balance. I no longer play every night. I understand that that is not healthy for my relationship or fair to my gf. Instead of an hour a night I compact my time on weeknights that both of us know have been set aside. And scheduling is important!!!! Now she is no longer disappointed if she wants to go to dinner and I have a raid planned. We both know Sunday evening is for Football and TOR. BUT, Tuesday evening is date night. Period.

I think the most important thing is not being with someone who wants/expects you to change. Nor should you expect the wonderful person in your life to grab a controller when the next Madden comes out. And guys.... dont expect your woman to respect your game if you give her **** everytime she turns on a decoration show, bride show, or the oscars. Fair is fair. you better plan on watching the Titanic with her if you expect her to play Assassins Creed woth you.

My two cents.

Edited by Dakotahorn

I think my husband married me only because I game. I've always been surprised by wives who freak out that their husband plays. I mean, he's sitting there, in your house, where you can see him, playing a video game. He's not out partying, or at the bar. Some men are into sports, some are into cars, some are into games. I always tell the wives-- why don't you try playing WITH him?

Anyway-- women like that are ridiculous, imo.

My solution: Only get involved with women who share my intrests. It makes finding things to do together awesome, seriously my lady drags me to tabletop game stores and nags me to pay attention to the game when I try to make sure she isn't feeling ignored.

Found her at a D&D game.

Plus, gaming gear being a "romantic gift" is just awesome.

It does require having to accept that I may not at all times be the most hardcore gamer in the couple.

This, a thousand times this.