End Game Sage DPS

gtangtan

I dpsed EC nightmare with my sage and noticed that I did about 70% of what I was doing with my gunslinger. They are both mostly BiS 63s. Granted I'm not used to DPSing on me sage as much as I am on my GS but this difference seems way too low and I was wondering if anyone can share their rotation/gear/dps numbers.

My sentinel pulls close to 1900 dps, GS pulls about 1800 dps and sage(both hybrid and full tk) pulls around 1500...

From my experience, sage/sorc will put out about 10% less damage than classes like the GS, Sent, and Vanguard. You are not experiencing anything different than most sages are experiencing. The huge difference is probably just from adjusting to the class right now. You would probably expect to reach about 1700 dps once you get the rotation down better.

One clarification: When you parsed, do you mean on the operations dummy or the operations fights themselves? Because your numbers would be kind of low for your level of gear on the dummy, but expected for the fights themselves.

Edited by bbare

It would also help to know what spec you are using. You probably aren't going to match the DPS of your gunslinger, but it shouldn't be 30 percent better than your Sage. More like 10 percent. If you are using TK, it is a very hard rotation to master, and your DPS can suffer quite a bit if you are making mistakes or missing procs. Balance is a little easier, but you are still not going to maximize your DPS until you are comfortable with the class. The hybrid is the easiest spec to maximize because there are so few abilities in the rotation and only one dot to track.

One thing to keep in mind is that most gunslingers (sab/df or straight df) are primarily internal based dps. Sages are primarily kinetic based-- TK more so than Balance. So dummy parses in particular and any fight in which you don't have a sunder up nearly all the time will put you at a large disadvantage, but if you have sunder up all the time things start to even out a little bit.

One thing to keep in mind is that most gunslingers (sab/df or straight df) are primarily internal based dps. Sages are primarily kinetic based-- TK more so than Balance. So dummy parses in particular and any fight in which you don't have a sunder up nearly all the time will put you at a large disadvantage, but if you have sunder up all the time things start to even out a little bit.

Turbulence is internal and on a 9s cooldown, autocrit. :/

A quick TK sage parse I uploaded

Total unstimmed/no adrenal or relic DPS: 1307.61

Damage breakdown by damage type:

64.35% kinetic

35.39% internal

0.27% energy

Compared to a quick sab/df gunslinger parse.

Total unstimmed/no adrenal or relic DPS: 1655.26

47.85% internal

44.04% energy

8.11% kinetic

Plus the gunslinger is offsetting 20% of all that mitigated energy/kinetic damage with bringing their own sunder.

Add 20% to the kinetic damage of my sage parse and you gain ~168 dps--changing the DPS of the parse to ~1475. There would be no change to the 1655 dps of the gunslinger parse (due to already having sunder). And considering my gunslinger is in mostly 61s with a few 63s to my sage being in unoptimized rakata with some black hole that's a fairly comparable figure.

Addendum: for posterity-- a quick Balance sage parse

DPS: 1372.94

62.69% kinetic

37.31% internal

+20% to kinetic = +172.02

Adjusted for sunder total: 1544.96 DPS

Final edit: I feel I should add that while these numbers seem low compared to everyone posting 1800+ parses all over every class subforum, they are so purposefully as I reduced all factors down to a level playing field. No stims, no adrenals, no on-use relics, no /stucking to finish the parse early. This was a fairly controlled experiment, barring the slight difference in parse times. The purpose being to point out the importance of sunder more so than comparing the two classes directly in maximum DPS potential as I can't rightly do that being the sizable gear difference between my alts.

Edited by Marak

A quick TK sage parse I uploaded

Total unstimmed/no adrenal or relic DPS: 1307.61

64.35% kinetic

35.39% internal

0.27% energy

Compared to a quick sab/df gunslinger parse.

Total unstimmed/no adrenal or relic DPS: 1655.26

47.85% internal

44.04% energy

8.11% kinetic

Plus the gunslinger is offsetting 20% of all that mitigated energy/kinetic damage with bringing their own sunder.

Add 20% to the kinetic damage of my sage parse and you gain ~168 dps--changing the DPS of the parse to ~1475. There would be no change to the 1655 dps of the gunslinger parse (due to already having sunder). And considering my gunslinger is in mostly 61s with a few 63s to my sage being in unoptimized rakata with some black hole that's a fairly comparable figure.

Addendum: for posterity-- a quick Balance sage parse

DPS: 1372.94

62.69% kinetic

37.31% internal

+20% to kinetic = +172.02

Adjusted for sunder total: 1544.96 DPS

Final edit: I feel I should add that while these numbers seem low compared to everyone posting 1800+ parses all over every class subforum, they are so purposefully as I reduced all factors down to a level playing field. No stims, no adrenals, no on-use relics, no /stucking to finish the parse early. This was a fairly controlled experiment, barring the slight difference in parse times. The purpose being to point out the importance of sunder more so than comparing the two classes directly in maximum DPS potential as I can't rightly do that being the sizable gear difference between my alts.

Great numbers! thanks Marak :) I Like numbers like this...it really puts things into perspective, and shows pretty much what we all know. Sage DPS won't be the level of a pure DPS class, but they do enough that no RL should be kicking them unless they are just ignorant or compensating for the rest of the raid being bad.

With 2.0 sage dps seems to be moving a little closer to other dps classes, at least from the admittedly limited time i've spent playing around on pts. but thats just purely from what i've noticed in general combat rather than running anything past dummies.

I have no Idea why anyone would play one at this point. You have pretty bad dmg for being made of glass. With how smash monkeys rip though you. You should hit harder than anything in the game. I found most classes hit harder and live allot longer. Yes i tried kiting its easier to just run from anything. Now if you could cast on the run it would be a 4000 times better class.

Well, I am interested to see what alacrity changes offer all casting classes in 2.0 I have heard some reports saying casters will be very happy with changes to alacrity and helping make our mechanics a little less turret style.

I still have fun playing my Sage and Bounty Hunter. They are what they are.

I just wish switching between specs was a little better organized. Respec in the field is a good start but I'd like to see something which makes switching a little better organized.

Edited by ShadowAxx