Tank that can solo the most content?

Squeets

Assassin/Shadow cuz of stealth. That is your answer.

Ok what about taking the most damage?

Tank with full biochem using medpacks and a geared healer companion, which one can last longest in a fight?

Tank with full biochem using medpacks and a geared healer companion, which one can last longest in a fight?

Shadows. They require the least external healing of any of the tanks so, with a healer comp, you can take on stuff that VGs and Guardians wouldn't be able to based purely on that. The major weakness of Shadow tanks is their spiky incoming damage profile, which isn't going to hurt you in heroics since nothing spikes that hard.

Shadows. They require the least external healing of any of the tanks so, with a healer comp, you can take on stuff that VGs and Guardians wouldn't be able to based purely on that. The major weakness of Shadow tanks is their spiky incoming damage profile, which isn't going to hurt you in heroics since nothing spikes that hard.

And in soloing content, force cloak is an impressive force multiplier as, beside boss fights, resetting a pack of mobs doesn't (usually) reset the mobs you killed in the first try, allowing you to kill a nasty pack in more than one go.

I soloed The Battle of Ilum flashpoint, few world boss (up to Quesh's) and some level 50 heroic 4 (not sure I did 55 heroic 4, but I did some heroic 2) with a level 55 vanguard tank geared with 69. So it's doable. Flashpoint is about avoiding most things and knowing the place well, World Boss about damage reduction once the boss enrage and Heroic 4 about patience... because killing brunch of elites with a tank is time consuming.

As said, a Shadow or Assassin may be the best choice for avoiding fights. I'm not sure they're as good to damage reduction but I might be wrong.

My old main was a shadow tank, running around with tharan, and while the fights certainly weren't as fast as some dps, with his high cunning/power gear, and my extra crit procs, and constantly updated gear, I could still dish out enough damage to where it didn't take all that long for heroic/fp soloing. Although he was only level 37. XD

However, as running a powertech tank now, I can say that with the heavy armor and 60% armor rating bonus powertech/vanguards get, they usually get 10-20% more damage reduction base, plus powertehcs have that energy shield for 20% more damage reduction. However, shadow/assassins are god at avoiding damage, 50% defense chance buff, 15% extra shield chance on top of the base 20%, and whatever you'd have with gear. and still running around with over 12k hp at 37, and roughly 33% damage reduction, with relic buffs I had 41% shield chance, 35% absorb, and 73% max defense chance. And they do get a nice 60 sec cc, and a pull, and ofc force speed, stealth, and great aoe aggro control, so as far as soloing, I find that shadows/sins are great at it, and will also take less time, due to not having to kill everything in their path, and being able to set up better than other tanks,w ith their nice stealth factor. Force Breach/discharge, then whirling slash 3 times (or sin equivalent), then another force breach, and throw in mass mind control, and your companion won't ever take agro from you, especially if you guard them, which I never did tbh. and then you can combine dps with your companion and focus on taking down one mob at a time, occasionally throwing in another force breach to make absolutely sure mobs won't lose agro on you.

I'd vote shadow/assassin.

Due to stealth & CC, you can usually sneak around and fulfill most 2/4HM requirements without breaking too much of a sweat, and you can flip between tank, dps or healer comp to either hold attention while you satisfy an objective, or slowly whittle down the kills you need while you keep stuff CC'd.

That said I don't have any upper-level experience with any other tank types besides sin, so others may compensate for stealth/CC with just plain toughness.

Im not saying shadow/assassin is the best tank for everything. But for soloing, its the best bet cuz you have the most control. You have self healing, you have the ability to bypass fights. You have combat stealth for bugging out. You have a speed boost. The other tanks don't have these things to the same extent.