View Single Post

cunctatorg
05.28.2020 , 04:22 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by KelKrios View Post
I really don't get the whole concept of the Empire and how it grew to the behemoth it is in SWTOR. ...

... It's like if Nazi Germany was killing off all of its greatest soldiers and generals and still somehow able to expand to cover half the globe.

BAH!

And why is every Sith I meet is a psycho mass murderer?! Lana is a nice change of pace but everyone else....
Well, SW:TOR is essentially an MMORPG; meaning there is increased need for action, a little bit of excitement, a feeling of intense adventures and all that!
That obvious fact said, the concept of a Sith Empire with increased in-fighting fits very well to the (aforementioned) needs of the MMORPG!
Therefore there was some necessity (...) to exaggerate more or less (rather more than less!) the concept of violence, hatred and in-fighting within the Sith Empire.
After all the Republic too (in the SWTOR Galaxy) isn't flawless: there is a lot of corruption, injustice, lack of vision, conflicts of interests resulting in a serious lack of coordination and all that.

The bottom line is that the players' characters have -and should have- a lot of opportunities to confront mighty adversaries, thus to rejoice, boost their ego, become satisfied and have fun...

Regarding the Sith, Lana Benico isn't the only responsible powerful Sith.
Darth Marr is a patriot also, he is very strict, absolutely determined and terrifying but he isn't exactly bloodthirsty, he doesn't kill for the killing...
Furthermore, Darth Marr's spirit became the one and only spiritual companion (during the dominion of the Eternal Empire) of such a person as Satele Shan is!! And he deserved it, therefore your complaints aren't absolutely justified.
There are a few more Sith that are quite responsible and rational, particularly Darth Vowrawn and -later- Darth Acina.
After all, the absence of The Immortal Emperor could be some explanation for the boost of the in-fighting among many Sith of all ranks... The most interesting examples are the coups of Darth Jadus and, then, that of Darth Malgus. In my opinion both coups are solid and justified...

All that said, it is true -of course- that you have a very strong point!
During the progression of the story-lines of Imperial characters I was thinking about all that too...
A coup is not only an attempt to seize the power, it's an attempt to restore the Order and the supremacy of the leader, therefore both Jadus and Malgus had a good point, that's OK...
But the lesser Sith?!? Is it conceivable that all these (relatively weak) Darths have the freedom to assassinate their peers and -by doing that- to constantly defy the chain of command, even an unstable one?!?
Well, I have to repeat that this is a necessity, one related to the MMORPG function of SWTOR...

But what should we think about some ... "true" Sith Empire?!?
Well, if I was The Immortal Emperor of the Sith Empire I'd permit (for obvious reasons, reasons with respect to "natural" selection) violent in-fighting, mostly among lower ranking Sith, before the start of the Imperial Campaign but one or two decades before its beginning I'd put some restrictions to all that. Just before the beginning of the Campaign I'd absolutely forbid any violent in-fighting, the war against the Republic is an extremely intense natural selection.
However it is natural that there will be latent -and even obvious- hatred and pathological competition (rivalry and animosity in fact) among some Sith during the war. Thus there is the necessity to, somehow, take care of this hatred in due time; otherwise there is the danger of a sudden, uncontrolled explosion of that animosity during some military operations and such.
There is some solution to all that, a tradition to gather many Sith in front of The Emperor and try to solve their differences. If this isn't feasible, The Immortal Emperor should consider either to direct those Sith to distant sectors of the Galaxy or to permit them to confront each other in a lethal duel! But only after The Emperor's permission and only in front of the Dark Council and the other Sith.
That arrangement seems to me that is in accordance with the Sith teachings but with the needs of the war effort also...