Where the heck is the blaster rifle?

MasterCboath

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree.

It would be great idea to give Pyrotech tree a support for Blaster or Shotgun. This way it could be used by both Merc and Powertech.

More options is always good.

And everybody would have to specc Pyrotech to do that?

My other concern with the idea of giving the mercs a blaster rifle is:

They can dual wield pistols and having a rifle in the main- and a pistol in the offhand would look ridiculous.

Honestly, I feel like almost any class should be able to use any weapon they want with minor restrictions. Ranged classes should be able to have any ranged weapon, imo. There should be less restrictions on dual wielding as well. It should be a playstyle choice, regardless of class/spec. Edited by Wapner

+OVER 9000 for being one of the few that sees it as it is, and why BH cannot have rifles... EVER. At least until they break up this "this class uses this weapon type only" thing that they have going.

I've made an example on how they could have done it in one of these many 100's of QQ threads about rifles.

*yawn* must leave this thread before I fall asleep.

except the tokens are universal at endgame, which is where the rolls really matter... hunter weapon's kind of a non issue.

Unfortunately, this isn't an open RPG where you play the role of a character that you create, but rather one which follows the story of a character that has already been defined in the world. And that character uses blasters.

Unfortunately, this isn't an open RPG where you play the role of a character that you create, but rather one which follows the story of a character that has already been defined in the world. And that character uses blasters.

But we can wear Sith Warrior's armors, slave bikinis ! If the character really was defined, we shouldn't be able to customize it.

This isn't a Sandbox MMO.

Most importantly, if you allow BHs to get Rifle, you are now competing with Agents in Flashpoints for gear.

Do you want more trouble getting gear and more people angry with you, or do you want an easy time getting gear?

But we can wear Sith Warrior's armors, slave bikinis ! If the character really was defined, we shouldn't be able to customize it.

So can other characters.. The Imperial Agent dress up in disguises all the time.

Edited by TheLoneSage

As for smugglers: did you ever see Han use a rifle? No, you didn't. I don't see them screaming for something that you didn't see, like us BH's are for something you did see.

Give BH a carbine proficiency option, and it would be settled.

IIRC didn't Han run around screaming with a Blaster Rifle, dressed as a Stormtrooper, during Episode IV? :) I fully support giving Non-Force users a choice in weapon types. Being a super sneaky Imperial Agent screams "cloak and dagger..and pistol" not lugging around a rifle. And Smuggler's should use whatever weapons they have available. I don't think they'd hesitate to open that nice crate of smuggled weapons, only to scratch their heads and ask "How do I use this again?" ....oh..and bow-casters...that is all.

Giving non-Force users access to all blasters would make sense.

Why do only non-Force users get firearms? What, you're the only one allowed a choice? Luke used a blaster in the original trilogy. Obi-Wan used a blaster to kill General Grievous. Kyle Katarn used all kinds of weapons. In KOTOR, Revan could use blasters throughout the game (it was more effective to take a lightsaber once you became Jedi, but you could still use a blaster if you wanted). Have my Sorcerer stop shooting lightning and start shooting a blaster. And why stop it at a blaster, I want to be a healer Sorcerer who uses a sniper rifle.

Sure, it would seriously complicate loot drops to have itemization for every weapon for every class, and yeah, they would have to completely redesign all the combat animations (how exactly does a Warrior use Vicious Slash with an assault cannon?), but I think they should get right on this instead of making any new content or fixing bugs in the old content.

Why do only non-Force users get firearms? What, you're the only one allowed a choice? Luke used a blaster in the original trilogy. Obi-Wan used a blaster to kill General Grievous. Kyle Katarn used all kinds of weapons. In KOTOR, Revan could use blasters throughout the game (it was more effective to take a lightsaber once you became Jedi, but you could still use a blaster if you wanted). Have my Sorcerer stop shooting lightning and start shooting a blaster. And why stop it at a blaster, I want to be a healer Sorcerer who uses a sniper rifle.

Sure, it would seriously complicate loot drops to have itemization for every weapon for every class, and yeah, they would have to completely redesign all the combat animations (how exactly does a Warrior use Vicious Slash with an assault cannon?), but I think they should get right on this instead of making any new content or fixing bugs in the old content.

Apples and onions. Bountyhunters already use firearms. What you are asking for would require tremendous resources on Bioware's part meaning it will never happen. Besides, the Sith Warrior archtype already has a choice of weapons, they can opt to use vibroblades instead of lightsabers. Not sure about Inquisitors but I think they have a weapon option too. So far as I know only Operatives, Smugglers and Bountyhunters are restricted to only 1 weapontype.

How about a legacy unlock to use Trooper weapons?

Reusing key animations and just letting us hold it in one hand when performing things like rocket punch cant look worse than Twi'leks lekku going down an elevator.

How about a legacy unlock to use Trooper weapons?

Reusing key animations and just letting us hold it in one hand when performing things like rocket punch cant look worse than Twi'leks lekku going down an elevator.

I think thats a good idea maybe Bioware will do it (i hope):confused:

• 7 months later...
BH's will never get blaster rifles because on the Empire side, those are the Agent's domain. Each class on each faction has it's own unique weapon type and that's a good thing because it largely prevents the "Hunter weapon" scenario.

I have to agree with this, even though it would be nice to be able to use whatever you find, this will greatly reduce loot drama. SWTOR is clearly part of MMORPG 3.0, so it's been able to learn from the previous generations, and has clearly made some effort to fix what always sucked, but kept getting coded in because that was the way things were done, and also to reduce things which are kind of a drag, like downtime after a fight (the focus-type skills that replenish hp/resource, for one.)

I was thinking some more about this and came to another conclusion that the majority of the BH armor has some sort of jetpack or backpiece. A rifle would really clip with the majority of the BH armor. Perhaps a though the Dev's had when giving the BH a single pistol.

About all abilities on Powertech, Vanguard, commando, mercenary, and operative would work great with any "gun weapons" but sniper....Could work but kinda wierd sniping with a tiny pistol?

You do know what the mirror class of the sniper is right?

Gunslinger, it pretty much snipes with a tiny pistol :p