An Idea for companions

The-Pook

Greetings all from one of the quiet founders of the game....yeah me lol

I had this idea for companions that I think would be a great idea....with all the companion choices we have what would be great is if we could select the role our companions play for our toons. What I mean by this is say on my gunslinger (pure dps) I would like to select the companion I want to ride with and make them my "healer" instead of being stuck with a preselected healer. With this thought I could select my companion of choice and make them my healer. I realize that would be problematic with armor etc so I would say to make it at least semi permanent, that or allow that companion enough inventory space to carry an extra set of armor, weapons, etc...to be able to toggle them between at least two differing support classes. Wouldn't that be fun and provide a bit more variety? Imagine if you will making Lord Scourge a healer or dps, your wookie buddy the same or how about the Jawa (I forget his name) as a tank!! I believe this would also give people that like to role play a differing set of choices that would possibly enhance their in game experience.

Now mind you, this is just a rough idea that I think could be implemented fairly easily and would bring a bit more fun factor to the game....which would be a good idea.

I would sure like peoples thoughts on this, constructive ones please, and perhaps other ideas on this same subject.

Some sort of developer input or acknowledgement on this would be pretty cool as well.

Thank you for your time and consideration!!

Wouldn't that be fun and provide a bit more variety? Imagine if you will making Lord Scourge a healer or dps, your wookie buddy the same or how about the Jawa (I forget his name) as a tank!!

Nothing to do with your idea, but Blizz is a tank.

Regarding the merits of your idea, fine in concept, probably too difficult in practice.

Edited by branmakmuffin

I'm pretty sure most people will be receptive to this idea, but, personally, it's not to my liking. The only reason being that companion character roles are somehow reflective of their personalities, and altering them at will would only serve to further diminish what little unique aspects they evidence at the moment.

This was the original design of companions. Companions had "packages" (this is all from memory, if someone can pull up quotes etc to correct me, please feel free) that would customize what they actually did. I don't remember why they removed this, but they did.

It's an interesting idea but it couldn't be implemented with ease nor would it make sense for a number of companions. It would require new voice acting for combat commentary, new combat animations etc, and each companion has a story/backstory which generally fits their abilities and vice versa.

Example you gave: Scourge healing (he already has a dps stance, as does every other companion tank). You really want Scourge smacking you with kolto and growling "STAY ALIVE, YOU INSECT!" (or worse- if they got cheap about the VA- just "DIE.")? Okay, admittedly that would be hilarious...but you see the point.

I do like the concept :) I just don't see it as feasible within the lore-and-mechanics constraints the game has already imposed upon our current companions.

It's an interesting idea but it couldn't be implemented with ease nor would it make sense for a number of companions. It would require new voice acting for combat commentary, new combat animations etc, and each companion has a story/backstory which generally fits their abilities and vice versa.

Example you gave: Scourge healing (he already has a dps stance, as does every other companion tank). You really want Scourge smacking you with kolto and growling "STAY ALIVE, YOU INSECT!" (or worse- if they got cheap about the VA- just "DIE.")? Okay, admittedly that would be hilarious...but you see the point.

I do like the concept :) I just don't see it as feasible within the lore-and-mechanics constraints the game has already imposed upon our current companions.

"STAY ALIVE YOU INSECT!" Bahahaaaaaaa, I nearly choked on my breakfast tea. You, are awesome, and ty for making my day start with a laugh. :D

"STAY ALIVE YOU INSECT!" Bahahaaaaaaa, I nearly choked on my breakfast tea. You, are awesome, and ty for making my day start with a laugh. :D

Did you finish your tea? I hope so...imagine Talos tanking..."Is it dead yet...oh my goodness- it's chasing me!"

And naw. Thank you for making me smile on a really gloomy near-storming afternoon :)

OP: I'm starting to like this idea more and more. I would pay Cartel Coins to have Quinn tank.

Did you finish your tea? I hope so...imagine Talos tanking..."Is it dead yet...oh my goodness- it's chasing me!"

And naw. Thank you for making me smile on a really gloomy near-storming afternoon :)

OP: I'm starting to like this idea more and more. I would pay Cartel Coins to have Quinn tank.

This is exactly what I was thinking...the various possibilities and possible humor. Yes It might be a bit on the hard side to implement but in the long run I think it would help with overall playability.