Is Trooper story really THAT boring? If so should i be Smuggler or Councilar?

XCantaloupeX

I'm at level 49 with my gunslinger just about to go to Voss, the storyline is nice my only complaint was the end of act two felt a little bland especially when you compare it to the troopers act 2, I didn't even know I had finished act two until I logged out and logged back in.

The gunslinger is fun to play though once your companion dies you go down very quickly.

My trooper Vanguard and Knight Guardian are both still in act one I'm enjoying the class mechanics of both of them since I prefer tanking to dps and I feel like I can use any companion for almost any situation unlike my gunslinger who really needs a tank for hard fights.

I'm enjoying the story of both of them some parts of the knight story are better and some parts of the trooper story are better such as the ending of Taris playing one right after the other the knight story is kind of bland in comparison.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey i started the trooper only level 5 and i am actually enjoying playing it very much! I can tell that the story is not gonna take off but it feels cool to play as a soldier who will do anything to accomplish his mission even if that means sacrifices. I also got to level 5 on the smuggler just for a small feel of it and i dont like the gameplay because of the cover system, but the story already has some funny dialogue!

I've taken a Vanguard to 37, a Commando to 50 and a Mercenary to 50.

Bounty hunter has the betetr story by far, Trooper one is average act 1, meh act 2 and pretty good act 3.

While both the Vanguard and commando are both fun to play, The Vanguard was my favorite, however Commando has the Healing option, so that's why i ended up with a merc and commando, guild needed healers so i changed from Vanguard to commando, already had leveled the merc.

My consular is 27...story is very boring, game play is fun as a shadow, game play on my Sorc (Sage) seems way OP in solo pve so kinda boring cause way to easy. (my sorc is 19)

hope that advice helps!

PS Playing my commando darkside was far preferable to my light side yes sir, right away sir Vanguard as well.

Edited by sharkfinsix

I disagree with most people saying that the consular story is boring until the end but I must admit its an aquired taste.

The act 1 is by far the worst. You feel dragged into a story that doesnt really make you feel all that important and it makes you chase people across the galaxy that you dont care about unless youre really into roleplaying that youre a selfless jedi caring only for the good of the jedi order and the republic.

Act 2 and 3 however really get interesting as you become the one who interacts with nations leaders and make you do things that are really tied with the background planet quest series as someone else mentionned before. So on balmorra, the class quest is really tied to the planet reclamation effort, on Hoth you take on the White Maws pirates, on Belsavis your quest is directly linked to the Esh-ka, etc... It gives a feeling that your in the middle of every planet crisis that every other classes know of and not just for your personal interest/mission.

In the end, the consular story does feel much less personal than many other class stories since its not about a personal vendetta or things alike but you do things that affects every republic/imperial players in the game storywise. Like I said, its an aquired taste, to feel that most of the game story affecting the other classes is directly influenced by the consular's actions.

I am a scoundrel, so I will try and answer your questions.

- Is story good?

I think it is. As with any game you get out of it what you put in. Spend some time thinking about your character and his/her motivations and you will enjoy it. Act 2 is a little boring but it sets things up for Act 3 which is better. You get a really interesting group of companions and to me, one of the main strengths of the story is that you work for yourself. No one is telling you what to do, there's a lot of freedom whereas the Jedi classes and Troopers have to (or are encouraged to) follow certain codes. A lot of us ladies are also big fans of the romance storyline for the class - what can I say? I'm a woman, I love a good love story.

- do you feel weak? As a warrior I am feeling completely powerful and nothing can stop me, even Elites 2 or 3 levels higher than me.

It depends. Sometimes I do. At 41 I have some trouble at times defeating elites, but often a gear upgrade and changing which companion I use makes a big difference. You get a few stuns/roots and things of that nature that make fighting easier. It's not the kind of class where you can just bang buttons and expect to win a fight, you have to think and strategize. Scoundrels get stealth and that REALLY helps.

- How is healing?

It's pretty good. I've been in groups where I was the only healer and done just fine. Again, you have to know your class well, but it's fine once you get the hang of it. I like it a lot.

Is leveling as a scoundral healer feel boring?

I don't think so. If you keep one of your tank companions with you it's relatively simple and gives you good practice healing, so that's what I do most of the time.

-How is gameplay?

I think it's a really fun class. Compared to the JK/SI which are my other alts I easily have the most fun on my scoundrel. All your clothes look like they came from a thrift store, though, which sucks.

just my 2 cents, i've finished the story line for the trooper, sith warrior, bounty hunter, smuggler and jedi knight. while it could be argued that the trooper was the most boring to lvl, which i wouldn't neccessarily disagree with, i enjoyed the ending quest for the trooper far more than the other 4, it was a lot of fun. and personally i didn't think leveling the trooper was boring but i could see why someone could think that. depends if you like "military" style game stories. i happen to love them, so it was awesome to me :)

Smuggler's Story is best in Chapter 1. Unfortunately after that it really loses it's way and you just are sort of a gun for hire - its ok, but a big let down compared to the craziness of chapter 1. Not that chapters 2 and 3 shouldn't have been more serious, but they should have put in more moments focusing on the messy relationships with the opposite sex the smuggler has, and just what a wild, complicated galaxy it is.

I loved the Trooper story up til act 3. I haven't finished Voss yet but that is more because I find Voss and Belsavis before that to be very boring and nothing at all to do with the Trooper story.

Out of the two classes that I've taken to act 3, the Trooper and the Sith Warrior. I think the Trooper has the better companions, and the better act 2. Both have good act 1s, but honestly that seems to be the path of most classes that I've read about, act 1 is solid, where as act 2 falls flat.

I did Smuggler up to Alderaan and that was good as well, really loved the dark side option, plus can't go wrong with Bowdar.

The trooper story is the best one in my opinion. You have got the best squad (character wise) and an amazing story just pulling you forward to destroy the Empire. That said I do think all the stories have their strengths and I appreciate them for their different stories - so not everyone is the super sayan JK who kill the avatar of the Emperor.

Trooper has a more Mass Effect feel than a Star Wars feel, in that the story pretty much builds up with you finding and building a team of differing personalities from scratch. So if you liked ME you'd probably like the trooper (doubly so if you went female as that is Commander Shepard's voice).

Chapter 1 of the Trooper story is actually pretty good, imo. Chapter 2 is where it begins to bog down. When my now deleted Commando picked up Tanno Vik on Balmorra, all I could think was "Why isn't this guy in the Star Wars equivalent of Leavenworth????" I am now playing through Chapter 1 again with my Vanguard, and I have to say it's a blast yet again. Definitely a lot of fun. Especially the Trooper's own subtle way of trolling Garza. :D Edited by Captain_Zone

I loved trooper chapter 1, got my second big thrill after making my own first lightsabre as another class - hairs standing up on the back of my neck, heart swelling in pride - at the dénouement of Taris but the other stages were wonderful as well, the final act being rather spectacular.

General Garza makes me think of Katherine Janeway though, always a distracting thought when she speaks.

The consular story on the other hand made me cringe. It's bad, it's boring and it's not epic at all. Maybe it matches that you are a healer, but there was no real excitement in it, just mindless boring nothing.

Jedi Knight, as far as a twist, was pretty amazing. That one made my jaw drop.

Edited by Bhaers

The consular story on the other hand made me cringe. It's bad, it's boring and it's not epic at all. Maybe it matches that you are a healer, but there was no real excitement in it, just mindless boring nothing.

My stance on Consular is they made the class perfectly to what the character is designed to be; a diplomatic voice of reason with the mindset of helping others in a selfless manner. Act I and II reflect this perfectly in your task.

Its just that this kind of character is boring to most as they require more action and heroic feats, much more akin to the JK story. But for what Consular was designed for, they pulled it off well.

Currently level 32 warrior and still loving it, im in the Taris i think right now.. But i have been playing a male human trooper level 12 and so far its not bad, i cant wait for the armor though. I also started a male smuggler and female jedi knight. (Level 5 on smuggler and 10 on knight). The jedi knight is pretty cool and like a previous post stated, it also gave me goose bumps when i got my light saber :) .. As for the smuggler, seemed like story was gonna be good but man do i hate the cover stuff. Why do you need to get into cover? It seems so stupid, do you get used to it? I just find it an annoyance.

Currently level 32 warrior and still loving it, im in the Taris i think right now.. But i have been playing a male human trooper level 12 and so far its not bad, i cant wait for the armor though. I also started a male smuggler and female jedi knight. (Level 5 on smuggler and 10 on knight). The jedi knight is pretty cool and like a previous post stated, it also gave me goose bumps when i got my light saber :) .. As for the smuggler, seemed like story was gonna be good but man do i hate the cover stuff. Why do you need to get into cover? It seems so stupid, do you get used to it? I just find it an annoyance.

If you really want to be a Smuggler, but don't want to use cover, choose Scoundrel as your AC. Depending on your tree, you can either be a stealth-based mdps (scrapper), a healer (sawbones), or a complex close/midranged dps (dirty fighting). None of those require you to use the cover system.

I have done some research and heard that the trooper story is just a drag. I am on Chapter 2 of Sith Warrior and I am loving it! Very interesting and the end of Chapter 1 was very enjoyable :), It made me feel like a true sith! I played a marauder and i very much loved the dps gameplay but I am thinking of being tank or healer next, but I may still do DPS.

For my second character I am thinking of a trooper, Councilar, or Smuggler.

Trooper- I am thinking it would be cool to maybe be a Military tank with heavy armor, but i heard very bad things about the story.. My questions for Trooper are:

- Is story good?

- Is playing the class fun? Please state if your a vanguard or a commando.

- How is dialogue?

- How is it compared to smuggler story/gameplay and councilar story/gameplay?

Smuggler- I would most likely be a scoundral because I HATE the cover system.

- Is story good?

- do you feel weak? As a warrior I am feeling completely powerful and nothing can stop me, even Elites 2 or 3 levels higher than me.

- How is healing?

- How is it compared to Trooper story/gameplay and Councilar story/gameplay

- Is leveling as a scoundral healer feel boring?

-How is gameplay?

Councilar- Probably gonna heal here too because being a shadow doesnt really seem to be my thing and it seems like fun healing.

- Once again how is story?

- does leveling as a councilar healer feel boring?

- How does it compare to Trooper story/gameplay and Smuggler story/gameplay

I do not have time to play all the classes so please no comments like "play them all".... And please only answers from people with experience from atleast one class

Trooper story is not boring at all. I absolutely loved it. Although to tell you the truth, IMO, the Imperial Agent storyline is the best. Who doesn't want to be a Secret Police officer that can illicit fear just by saying :" I'm from Imperial Intelligence." In the empire, when you hear that phrase spoken to you, you know you're life is about to get really, really hard. And short.

I''ve only played the Consular and for me i enjoy the story. Yes I've heard that some say it is boring but not to me. I enjoy it.

I would say it would depend on how you want to play it. I more into roleplaying and also my back story was done prior to playing the game so that might have something to do with it. I would say it depends on how you play your character.

If you use the story as a backdrop to your own personal story then I doubt any class would be boring.

As far as the game play/leveling I can ony tell you how a Shadow plays as that is my advance class and for the most part I been able to handle most elites.

Good luck it whichever one you play.

Edited by ScarletBlaze

It is all just opinions. I only just started making characters on the Republic side, but I did dabble with them in the beta. I found the Trooper to be the most exciting, though it is probably because I hate Jedi so much. :)

But I did have fun with my Jedi in beta. Like I said, opinions. I have enjoyed all the characters I made so far. Just need to start a smuggler. I heard they were quite boring, yet a friend is playing that class and likes it. I will see for myself.

I'd say, just try it out for yourself, if you don't like it, stop playing it. Hope this helps.

If you go Consular I would advise you to pick a female. The reason for this is that in my opinion the male voice acting is REALLY bad; it gives the "no emotion" sentence of the jedi code a whole new meaning... It's so bad that I deleted my male consular after Corescant and rolled a female from level 1, and I must say it's far more enjoyable, since she doesn't sound like a robot.

My stance on Consular is they made the class perfectly to what the character is designed to be; a diplomatic voice of reason with the mindset of helping others in a selfless manner. Act I and II reflect this perfectly in your task.

Its just that this kind of character is boring to most as they require more action and heroic feats, much more akin to the JK story. But for what Consular was designed for, they pulled it off well.

Yup. Personally I love it.

I tried the trooper story up to the end of chapter one, but the thing that killed it for me was the voice acting and script. It's just awful, more like some straight to video, low budget action movie than Star Wars. Rather than sounding like a soldier, you end up sounding like some meat head with a testosterone imbalance.