Why does Mako suck?

BBriggs

Hi folks,

Just an observation from a new player on Mako.

Im currently a 24 Merc, started a few weeks ago having played (and still do) Everquest 2 from release.

A few months ago Sony introduced Merc companions to thier game which helped soloers like myself with limited play time.

Playing a ShadowKnight with pretty decent gear i found the healing from my new companion the difference between soling some heroic content and not having to hit FD!

However, my new found companion was very fragile and you had to be extremely carefull when pulling groups.

So i move to SWTOR for something different and once i got Mako i couldnt believe how well (or even overpowered) this companion is.

From my view they have done an amazing job on companions especially being able to equip them with items they actually use (like the old EQ pet days) and not just cosmetic fluff.

Obviously i am just a noob and yet to experience higher levels, but thumbs up from me so far.

Cheers

Darrack

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm on my second BH over 25. The first was a Merc., but I found that play style wasn't my thing. So I rerolled and now my PT is at 30.

I'm just starting Alderaan (made a couple extra levels early on, and just kept it going).

I got Gualt, and to be honest, so far haven't liked him anywhere near as much as Mako.

I had thought "Well, she's not much help"...then when I switched companions I started thinking "Uh-oh, better get Mako!" (yes I actually say that for the laughs).

I missed her heals almost immediately as I lay dead to a pack of mobs that had respawned, that I had just killed with ease with her only minutes before.

I'm playing with Gualt out, up graded him to the Tatooine, orange quality, Sniper Rifle.

I'll give him a chance, but I'm thinking I'm going to go with Mako for the most part when the others aren't needed for the story.

(Until I get Blizz...Then I'll die a million deaths just to keep him with me.)

• 11 months later...
Mako is my savior, I can't even count how many time she has saved me with her healing, I focus a lot on her cunning, power and surge. I've gotten Gault, Torian and Blizz. I've geared each one when I get them and gave them a chance to replace Mako. Gault and Torian failed miserably especially Gault. Blizz was close since he was a tank but Mako still keeps her place. I'm an arsenal merc and Mako being a healer makes my life so much easier. While I'm busy taking chunks out of enemies lives (strong, elite and champion) she worries bout my health for me

Mako is my savior, I can't even count how many time she has saved me with her healing, I focus a lot on her cunning, power and surge. I've gotten Gault, Torian and Blizz. I've geared each one when I get them and gave them a chance to replace Mako. Gault and Torian failed miserably especially Gault. Blizz was close since he was a tank but Mako still keeps her place. I'm an arsenal merc and Mako being a healer makes my life so much easier. While I'm busy taking chunks out of enemies lives (strong, elite and champion) she worries bout my health for me

This*. I love Mako she has great healing and the only BH companion that has some personality in my opinion.

1) Necro :(

2) Torian is the best when you're geared. Killing trash mobs more quickly is better than killing trash mobs more safely

Edited by DarthBloodloss

Mako is easy mode. Gault is way more fun on all levels, esp if you're not going goodie-two-shoes.

Agreed. On my powertank, I ran with Gault until I got Torian. Killing was just too slow with Mako. And with taunts and defensive cooldowns, little health was lost between Gault and I. And even though I went goodie-two-shoes, I think we had good chemistry.

Edited by Stenrik

Besides the discussion healer / DPS companion, I preffer to go with Mako just because I love to hang out with a hot chick! By the way, the levelling was a piece of cake and we could even solo a lot of Flashpoints! I really love healers, that's why I married a hot medic in Real Life... :D:D:D:D

Will add to the vote pool - Mako is my preferred "go to" companion. The only other one I will run and NOT get frustrated with is HK-51. Selection is now down to clearing trash quickly with HK, and can I dps things fast enough I do not die, or....is this a longer quest line, and I need healing?

Having HK is much faster to clear the trash and questing, and I seem to use him more on the planet quests. Story line - no question - Mako is it !

The first time I thought she wasn't helping enough we were doing a class mission on Corellia in the Green Jedi area. I looked at her gear and noticed she had mid 20's blue implants, and most of her armor was mid thirty blue. I went to the fleet and spent very little to get her better gear. No more problems.