Bounty Hunter or Trooper- story-wise

olvaha

Hey guys!

So I', leveling a sith warrior and I'm loving the story so far. I'm thinking of making an alt right now and I've come down to the point where I'm gonna make a trooper, or a BH. I was wondering and would love to hear people's opinions from the individual storylines.

Sooo.. How would you compare the storylines? Which one is the ''better''? I keep hearing that the BH storyline is boring and I was wondering if this is true.

I plan on romancing, and I see both classes have a nice female option for that. Also, I like ethe companions of both classes.

So i would love to hear opinions guys! How do you like the story of BH/Trooper? YOu can give me a basic storyline if ya like, I'm all ears!

Eagerly waiting for all anwsers!

Cheers :o

Bounty Hunter gets really intense after the start of chapter 3.

Your mission is to kill the Supreme Chancellor

Yeah, Trooper side is nothing like that.

You catch a bad general, then get to release him if you are Light, or keep him in prison if you are Dark side

From what I've seen, the Trooper class (without revealing too much) makes you have to chase down a group that used to side with the Republic. Then once you find them you have to mostly kill them. Then you blow up something very important, start a war and run off to defend a planet.

Pretty basic, except your General only wants you to follow orders, which tend to be REALLY stupid or just plain moronic, and usually result in Dark Side points. On the other side, some of the Light Side options are stupid (reveal classified intel to civilians, etc) which is against the mission and your orders...

Sometimes it feels like the Devs just slapped GOOD/BAD on the options and didn't read them.

Edited by Zeromentor

I would also point you to the Bounty Hunter.

I can't speak for the trooper storyline much. I played one during the beta up to level 16 only and didn't like the story or your first companion (can't say if it gets better or not later on).

I am currently playing a BH (lvl49 on Voss) and except for the second chapter, I love the story line so far. I play with my own code of honor and it mostly lead me to a LS path early game and changes to DS path as the story line advance. I absolutely love the progression of it and the way things are unfolding.

I loved the first chapter. I believe it did a pretty good job of throwing you right into what you would expect the bounty hunter's typical life to be and adds some twists to it. I also liked that it gives you a clear goal right away. Everything you do is in order to achieve something specific and not only because you were told to do it. In general, I liked the light/dark side options in the chapter one. I don't recall thinking many of them seemed weird or out of place. The end of chapter 1 is also pretty epic.

Chapter 2 however, was a huge disappointment for me. Taris & Hoth themselves (beside the nice atmosphere/art) have in my opinion completely forgettable story lines and side quests. It seems it was just an in-between to make up for what was before and what will come next. Even the LS/DS options were plain stupid (mostly Taris) at some point where it was a choice between plain denial of the reality or simple "sorry I follow orders" type of excuses. Your companions encounters are the only memorable part of that chapter for me.

Now chapter 3. This is where the real amazing part begins in my opinion. With the way I play my character I am now leaning towards a much darker path and I love the progression of my character since it's creation. You also are reintroduce with a clear goal/purpose as well. I have not finished it, but like others said, your ultimate goal seems pretty epic. The LS/DS options seems to start making more sense again.

One last thing I could tell you about the BH I loved over all the other class I've played so far are the companions themselves. There is not one single companion I do not like. Their personality and voice acting are just superb. If you do not enjoy the story line that much. I think they could very well carry you through it all the way to 50.

Romance

I made a body size 3 character. The difference in size with Mako's + her total childish behavior at the culminating point of your romance made me feel weird inside a little bit. The romance itself was nice, seemed mature, but the end... meeeehh. It may be the only thing I found that left me begging for something more with the companions. Take it as a grain of salt, because in the end, the romance part is but a drip in a big ocean of awesome.

I Hope it helps you decide a little bit.

Pardon the mistakes I might have missed, english is not my main language.

Edited by Theodorick

Bounty Hunter gets really intense after the start of chapter 3.

Your mission is to kill the Supreme Chancellor

i JUST started ACT III 20 minutes ago and im going holy ****, holy ****, holy ****. THIS is what the class stories should be like.

BH all the way for story.

One last thing I could tell you about the BH I loved over all the other class I've played so far are the companions themselves. There is not one single companion I do not like. Their personality and voice acting are just superb. If you do not enjoy the story line that much. I think they could very well carry you through it all the way to 50.

Romance

I made a body size 3 character. The difference in size with Mako's + her total childish behavior at the culminating point of your romance made me feel weird inside a little bit. The romance itself was nice, seemed mature, but the end... meeeehh. It may be the only thing I found that left me begging for something more with the companions. Take it as a grain of salt, because in the end, the romance part is but a drip in a big ocean of awesome.

I am a little disappointed with the companions in terms of developing a relationship with them, it feels far inferior to the Dragon Age system and that was just a stand alone game with a very finite amount of game play involved in that game.

In terms of Mako you went from nowhere to married in 5 minutes and that was it and she has no conversation options left, it is like a Britney Spears marriage.

Not talking relationship alone, the companions seem to be very lite in terms of their involvement, they either like or dislike the choices you make, give you a handful of conversation options at various affection levels and you get a couple of quests. It seems very bland, feels inferior to the DA system and it should have been far more advanced for an MMO version which will have a massively different game time played.

I believe the companions should have been one of the major sources of quests and story advances, not just the one you are boning. I also found it very difficult to raise the affection with multiple companions outside of just dumping gifts on them which to me seems a pointless expense/time investment given the lack of their involvement other than them doing crew stuff for me.

As a Powertech I found I was forced to stick with Mako irrespective how much I liked or disliked her or how much I would have preferred to be with Blizz just because I needed a healer.

I think companions should also have had a class customisation slot which you got to pick/purchase one and it would give them the abilities of a healer, ranged dps, melee dps, melee tank, ranged tank based on what you chose. It would then allow you to pick the companion you liked the most rather than one you were forced to take due to what you needed for gameplay.

Edited by traft

I am a little disappointed with the companions in terms of developing a relationship with them, it feels far inferior to the Dragon Age system and that was just a stand alone game with a very finite amount of game play involved in that game.

I would like to first say I agree with you completely.

However, I believe you are lacking a little bit of perspective in your assessment of the companions. If I compare my companions interaction, character development and utility to you with something like Dragon Age or Mass Effect it will be obviously inferior. You're talking about a game where the companions are as big a deal as the gameplay or the whole experience itself. Remove the conversation, companions' quests & utility/customization from DA and you cut the heart of the game in my opinion.

For a MMO, I believe ToR offer a unique experience with the companions. I've played other MMO (not all so limited experience) and from that experience I consider my interaction with them far more deeper than taking on glorified pets with human shape in as henchmen.

Edited by Theodorick

Wow, thanks for all the answers guys! Bounty hunter story sounds total ******, what I would expect really. I already have a lvl 10 BH, so I guess I'm gonna go level him now.

Great comments guys, keep it up, love hearing your opinions!

From playing through the Trooper Story it has some nice moments but there is no general plot line that all three acts follow (Apart from "You're in the Old Republic doing solder stuff"). You are just a Special Forces Republic Solider being ordered to do things fitted to your squad. There was very little drive apart from "Following orders".

There was a little mystery in Act 1/prologue but that was quickly ignored. I found act 1 the best out of the three in fact; it was brilliant. You were doing more than just "following orders" and it had some degree of emotional investment.

Act 2; it kinda felt like they didn't have any idea what to do with act 2 and just went "Hey... What exactly should we do for act 2?" (And you're just "following orders")

Act 3 you're "following orders" for the Republic War effort.

However I can say the Trooper has some particularly awesome companions. M1-4X getting a special mention (Like HK-47 he's so gung-ho about one thing that only a droid could pull it off and escape uncanny valley)

I would have killed to find out what the original Havoc Squad went rogue for but that "mystery" was dropped and ignored right after the ending of the Prologue

It also would have been rather cool to be thrown into the same situation as Havoc Squad and given that choice... Only to have you saved before your character vocalizes his answer and thus before it was set in stone

Edited by Chasted

• 2 weeks later...

but the first companion you get as a trooper ugh.

It's Detective Lassiter from Psych - what's not to like? :)

I just picked up Elara Dorne and will give her a try, but Lassie... sorry, Aric Jorgan served my Vanguard very well through the first 20 levels. I think he only died once and he packs a fairly mean punch with that cannon.

• 2 weeks later...
It's Detective Lassiter from Psych - what's not to like? :)

I just picked up Elara Dorne and will give her a try, but Lassie... sorry, Aric Jorgan served my Vanguard very well through the first 20 levels. I think he only died once and he packs a fairly mean punch with that cannon.

I think that's how everyone feels.

Either they hate Aric Jorgan or they love the fact they're teaming with a Cathar version of Carlton Lassiter.

People who know who he is have none of the hate, disdain or disgust the uninformed do.

Actually after a mere 20 levels playing my trooper I ended up finding Aric dull, my second companion the same, and what I got to experience of the storyline it felt like a heavily watered down version of Mass Effect.

The only real saving grace was Jennifer Hale voicing the female trooper, but I'd frankly rather save her military role for Mass Effect 3 in a couple of months. And I've also just started replaying ME2 in preparation.

My latest character is a female bounty hunter, but being only level 12 it's obviously too early to say much of anything about story. I certainly like my initial companion a whole lot more than Aric Jorgen though - Mako is almost as likeable as the SW companion Vette.

And again I've been impressed by the female voice acting of the class. Not quite up to par with the IA and the Trooper, but probably coming in fourth just behind the Sith Warrior.

Edited by Miths

trooper until 50 bounty hunter is up to 22 so far. As far as class design go, bounter hunter animations and skills are better tuned (unload >full auto death from above > morter round)

But the trooper story was great, you can play it decision to decision dark light or shades of grey and the companion storys were great Mako is already doing my head in and I miss Elara.

I rolled BH as my guild moved to a busier server and rerolled Imp, If your rolling an alt and your main is imp anyway I'd suggest trooper rather than bounty hunter, you get to experience a different side to the game (flashpoints and planet story etc) and it's a really great story and everyone one else who's played it to 50 I've spoke to agrees with me.

The trooper story has the downside of being very, very straight-forward and not nearly as grandiose as the other class quests. That's not to say that the trooper story is bad, I really liked it.... it's just not particularly complex, and if you've played any other class to a high level... everything the trooper does feels pretty small scale. Edited by Sylriana

The Trooper story isn't really a story, nothing is happening in it. You go from one objective to another, very straight forward, nothing in between. It gets old, fast. There are so many good concepts they could have explored in the story but chose not to. If you like a story that can be summarized in 3 sentences, Trooper is for you. Otherwise, stick with the BH.

i liked the BH story. it could drag on at times (belsavis), and it could get pretty engaging at times. near the end, though, i felt more like a sith than a bounty hunter. i realize faction alignment has a lot to do with the story of this game, but i would have preferred a more... freelance version of act 3. but i understand why its done the way its done.

I played a Trooper throughout his prologue and rerolled because I wanted Vanguard instead of Commando, but didn't play his new version yet so he's sitting at level 1 in my character bay.

but I have a chapter 1 completed BH

and I have to say that while the BH seems more fun in the long run, the Trooper had the best hook in from the prologue. classic betrayal/revenge plot. I could not wait to catch them and kill them all.

I liked the way my Bounty Hunter's story unfolded.

In my opinion it was not so much your classic BH story but mercenary one. As I play mercenaries and hired killers in these games it works for me.

As a note I refer to mercenary as archetype not dual wielding class, my guy is Pyrotech.

At first I was a classic Bounty Hunter with his own code and set of morals. In my case that leans more to dark side because for me leaving the target alive or sparing it is infact the dishonorable thing to do.

Of course I skipped all the silly dark side choices that I found completely out of character like killing neutral informants, other bounty hunters or people that hired me.

I went for gimme credits option in convos, not out of greed but because I value my service.

Told Mandalore off as I view Mandos as cretins, pretty much like Klingons. Honor this honor that yet most of the time they are lamers and made friends with other more renegade hunters, Jewla, Bloodworthy and Defenestrator.

When Republic killed my mates it became personal.

After that point in story I became a magnificent bastard, threatening targets with civilians, killing wounded, letting Skadge take his time with targets, performing genocide on rotends that opposed the Empire and all kinds of nasty black ops mercenary stuff.

At the end of the story I chose to side with Darth Tormen and the Empire as their official Bounty Hunter.

I have not had such fun in a long time but the story is definetly more Mando/Renegade merc than Bounty Hunter. Some say lightside gameplay makes for more BH experience but damn 70 percent of choices made no sense and those that did I took anyway.

Edited by Paralassa
content

The Trooper story isn't really a story, nothing is happening in it. You go from one objective to another, very straight forward, nothing in between. It gets old, fast. There are so many good concepts they could have explored in the story but chose not to. If you like a story that can be summarized in 3 sentences, Trooper is for you. Otherwise, stick with the BH.

That's how i'd categorize the BH story as well to be honest. Nothing really happens just one bounty after another with really not much overarching connection. After your last run in with Blood, the story just loses all connection and just becomes one bounty after another and i never felt like i was part of a story just some missions. With BH i'm at level 41.

The trooper story isn't that great either, but at least it all connects together so far. Trooper i'm only 28 so far.

Both stories are very bleh in my opinion, just depends if you like the merc aspect better or the soldier aspect going after traitors better. BH has more interesting companions overall and soldier comes off a tad too "goody goody".