Thread: Key Bindings
View Single Post

Werdan
04.06.2013 , 06:19 PM | #3
While you can certainly do very well with a standard mouse and keyboard, there are some very cool products on the market that can make key binding just as good (if not better) but may have a learning curve that is different for all players. I'd suggest at least taking a look into them and see if they might be an interesting alternative.

For me, especially from playing more console games than computer ones, using a Logitech G13 gamepad was like learning how to walk all over again yet realizing it somehow felt better than before. I bought it just as I got in to SWTOR closed beta and haven't even attempted using the keyboard for anything in game other than signing in and the occasional chat. I use the thumbstick as you would on a controller with WQED bound to it (for strafing, in lieu of WASD). I start my main attacks from the second row of keys and work my way around the keypad for various actions. Next to the thumbstick are 2 keys I can use as spacebar and my shift modifier. I couldn't even think about playing another MMO without this thing and have already bought another as backup for when/if this one fails.

I also use a G700 gaming mouse and found it to be more comfortable and larger than others with more buttons. In particular, the Naga mouse was a bit small for my hands so I returned it. I also have another multi button mouse similar to the Naga but have not had the chance to practice with it. Most likely I will probably buy another G700 as well as it's been starting to act up lately. Suffice to say that I am never at a shortage of buttons to press with my setup and all within reasonable distance without needing to be a contortionist.

The most important thing about any setup you use is that you practice with it.....a lot. I use similar layouts on my gamepad for all 6 of my 50's and currently working on number 7. Stuns are in the same place as well as defensive cooldowns. This allows me to be consistent when switching between characters.
TRACE
THUNDERHIPS
ISHKA
BRUTALIZE