View Single Post

GarfieldJL
03.20.2013 , 03:45 PM | #607
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Now I'm no expert on shaped charges but I'm sure the purpose of them is to concentrate the blast at a particular point, therefore rather than blasting the target to pieces, it simply punches a whole through it. Unless the charge simply can't get through the metal the panel would stay in place, just have a hole in it, and not large enough to climb through. There is also something of a backlash.
That's a good argument, however depending on where they place the charge, they could still take out the entire plate. Additionally, I'm not sure how much force the mechanism that slams the plate down can generate. I just considered it may be possible for an HK unit to actually hold the plate open until the storm the bridge and then let it come down after they are all inside.

There is also one other problem: life support. Once the droids blow the window for the second time the ship will already be on high alert and forces will be en route to the bridge. Once the initial 'suck' has taken place any unit magnetized or not, biological or not can move in because the particle fields will still be operational. For example on the Ravager, it had massive holes in its hull and yet the particle fields stopped people getting sucked right out. With the life support completely undamaged and not yet shut down, the defenders have a window of opportunity to swarm the bridge as the HKs climb through the window.
Good thing the bridge has more than one window then...

Also, we have to remember G0-T0 knows little about Bao-Dur, only military files. He will not be aware that Bao-Dur would actually want to reactivate the MSG, nor does he have any idea of what he could give Bao-Dur to convince him. Therefore he's likely to opt for threats/interrogation to force him to help. Also Bao-Dur has no love for the Exchange, he hates the Czerka presence on Telos IV and greedy corporations as a whole. The Exchange are in league with Czerka on the planet and are effectively a greedy corporation. Therefore Bao-Dur may make demands G0-T0 is not willing to accept (e.g. get off Telos) so G0-T0 may opt for interrogation and threats. Not that that would take too long but it would involve capturing him etc.
If he's trying to get the information in a hurry, he may actually agree with the demands provided Bao-dur upholds his end of things. Interrogation may take up too much time and G0-T0 is on a schedule, so he'd probably resort to making a deal first.

NOTE: Repressurisation is instantaneous, introduce air to a vacuum and it moves very quickly. So as soon as the panels drop the bridge will have repressurised, meaning the HKs will have to wait a little before entering, and even then slowly with magnetic feet, and under laserfire from fighters. Speaking fighters I was under the assumption they would be deployed after the freighters were detected.
Actually it isn't instantaneous, granted it won't take very long to fully repressurize, but it will still take time to do so and if the HK units time things correctly, they have a window of opportunity to enter the bridge without having to deal with as much air blasting at them.

You make some other good points but I'm going to start wrapping this up now and Ventessel has already offered some counter arguments. Everything will be considered.
I really wish he hadn't put his counterpoints inside quotes, it makes it very difficult to reply to.

Quote: Originally Posted by Ventessel View Post
As a closing note, on the topic of shaped charges: A shaped charge is simply a given quantity of explosives which is designed to deliver a greater amount of energy is a certain direction, rather than an evenly distributed impulse from the explosion.

So for X equivalent tons of TNT, a shaped charge will have a lopsided distribution of explosive force in one direction or another, rather than an even spread when compared to said equivalent tons of TNT (or whatever explosive measurement is used in Star Wars). This means that the minimum safe distance on one side of the explosion is somewhat reduced, but there is still the danger of shrapnel from the explosion. In order to be safe, the HKs might have to get "over the horizon" on the hull or risk being struck with high velocity fragments.

Lastly, there is little research on how well explosions propagate in space. One possibility is that without anything to absorb the force of the explosion, the blast radius may very well be increased when presented with empty space. This leaves the risk that the HKs could be blasted off of the hull if they are too close to the center of the blast.
Considering how depth charges capitalize on the added pressure in water to be more destructive to submarines even if it is not an actual hit, I don't think explosive force is an issue.

Now concerning shrapenal, that could be an issue, on the other hand they aren't exactly organics either, so it's not like they will experience explosive decompression (which is why I specified the attackers be droids).