View Single Post

TheSM
01.03.2013 , 08:16 PM | #579
Edit: After installing a memory manager mentioned in a previous post I haven't had a CTD in over 4 hours of constant playing. However, as you CTD at a random time the problem may not have been solved for me and the problem just happened to not manifest itself during the session. I'll update if I CTD again.

I'm not going to bother posting in the format because everything I have to say has already been said way too many times. What I do find interesting is that I these crashes only started about 7 days ago for me. I'd been playing fine before that. The only change is that my RAM increased from 4GB to 8GB on 25th December but I can't see how more RAM could suddenly cause CTD.

At first I only had 1 CTD in 3 days out of the 7 but now I'm crashing anywhere between 10 minutes and 3 hours of playing. To my knowledge BioWare made no changes to SWTOR 7 days ago (and the fact that other people have been having random CTD since launch) supports the idea that whatever causes the CTD issue to manifest itself must already have been in existence since launch. What determines when the issue will manifest itself will be almost impossible to answer, as will how the issue will choose to manifest itself.

Unless the people at BioWare can identify what causes the issue or what it could be related to it won't be possible to actually develop an actual algorithm to catch or work around the error. Another thing to mention is that before I acquired another 4GB of RAM the memory leak in SWTOR would become very prevalent after a few hours of play but now is non-existent.

I have also created a thread for users to post any thoughtful fixes and/or suggestions they may have for themselves and other users to try. Please keep posts strictly related.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...31#post5673131

I'm also going to work on adding a list of previously suggested fixes to this thread so that viewers can see a compilation of them without having to scour the forums and internet.