View Single Post

erichough
12.24.2012 , 02:17 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Sanctioned View Post
Please school me on this because I don't have a high level jugg and I also took a break.
People are speccing into the tank tree and then complaining not enough dps?

Is the difference vast? and if so, does it not make up the difference in tanking?

I thought the whole point of tanking tree is to absorb damage and aggro/taunt.
A lot of folks spec just high enough into the tank tree to get the majority of the defensive abilities (basically up to sonic barrier) and then spec vengeance up to impale. They do this because the top talent in immortal, crushing blow, was somewhat mangled in the last major jugg/guardian update - the overall damage was reduced and it was turned into a weird cone AoE. Theoretically this was to help with AoE threat, but the cone is narrow enough that I find getting more than a couple targets in it is pure luck (speaking as a jedi guardian here - my jugg is still only L33).

The mixed spec has the advantage of a hard hitting single target attack (impale) on a 9s recharge instead of the 15s for crushing blow, unstoppable, which gives you 20% extra damage restance and immunity to CC for 4 seconds after a force leap, free smash and 4% extra damage resistance from deafening defense (up to 15% extra if you can fit in enraged defense without shedding to much aggro). You give up 4% shield chance, which is not a big deal on a jugg since they rely more on defense and damage reduction, 4% internal and elemental resistances (which deafening defense more than covers) and your rage generation/usage is not quite as good. According to those who play this spec your aggro generation is about equal to the full defense spec as impale may not have increased threat gen but it does more damage than crushing blow and is on a shorter recharge, so the net aggro generation is roughly equal.

Speaking personally, I tried the spec on my jedi guardian and didn't really like it as I had to much trouble with focus use/generation and was always running out. Now, I only tested the build in solo play on ilum, so it might work better tanking in a flashpoint or operation, but I switched back to the full defense spec and enjoy that a lot more.