View Single Post

Ssaffin
12.09.2012 , 01:43 PM | #1
I have 2 computers connected to my Netgear N600 dual band gigabit router. SWTOR runs perfectly when I am the only user on the network. However, when my wife uses the second computer (Mac laptop) to browse (mostly Facebook and Amazon), I get latency spikes that last from 2 to 5 seconds. The in-game latency meter will show 10k+ ms and sometimes the red "x" for a disconnect. The laptop she uses is wireless, however I tried connecting it by cable to the router and I still got the same latency spikes. My Internet is 3 meg dsl, though when I run speed tests it peaks at about 2.6 meg.

I went in the router quality of service settings and set "high" priority to the ports swtor uses and that did not help. When I set them to "highest", the game ran fine but my wife's computer couldn't browse at all. It's as if that gave me 100% of the bandwidth.

I understand this is likely a problem on my end, or perhaps an issue with me having low-bandwidth Internet, but does anyone have any ideas that I could try other than just kicking her off the Internet when I play? Trust me, I've considered it.