Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Midichlorians - what was Lucas thinking?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Midichlorians - what was Lucas thinking?

Nunchi
12.30.2011 , 05:30 AM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Divalinor View Post
Jedi/Force = Religion
Empire = The third reich

Makes perfect sense .
i dont know why but i laughed like hell at this

DrManse
12.30.2011 , 03:03 PM | #32
For the trilogy Lucas imagined a series of awesomely epic battles in his head, all like pow-pow-pewpewpew-whooosh! Then he had the irritating issue of having to spend 20 minutes writing a script that somewhat strung them together. So it was less about midichlorians than that he had a 45 second scene to fill in episode I. So he bent over and pulled out this gem.

soujirop
12.30.2011 , 04:11 PM | #33
The midichlorians idea was made after the first three movies. It was like a new thing for episodes 1, 2 and 3. Or so I heard.

I like the idea that the Force is not just magic but has a physical component. However, the Force is still something mystical and misterious, because midichlorians only allow to "sense" the Force, they don't generate it or something like that. The force is still a misterious energy that exists in the galaxy.

Darphboo
12.30.2011 , 04:42 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Venan View Post
Now, I understand that in the film the midichlorians were actually meant to BE the Force. I.e. they actually caused Force sensitivity. My understanding is that this IS what Lucas originally meant.

However, just about every other person realized how insane this was and retconned it. I follow the retcon which makes PERFECT SENSE.

Basically, midichlorians are sort of like crayfish. You see, crayfish live only in clean water. They do not cause water to be clean; you couldn't toss a bunch of crayfish into a polluted lake and it would become pristine. They simply only live in clean water, so if you find crayfish in a lake or stream you know the water is clean. They are indicators.

Midichlorians are like crayfish; they are indicators. They show that a particular individual has high Force sensitivity. Oh they grow in every person, but they need high levels of Force sensitivity to really propagate and reach high numbers. So what; Anakin had a level of over 20,000? An average Jedi would probably have something like 5-10 thousand, while a non-Force sensitive would have more like a few hundred or, at most 1,000.

This provides a logical way of determine who was Force sensitive (thus explaining how the Order found new Jedi hopefuls) while still keeping the mysticism of the Force alive. What is it? Well we still don't know, but at least we can kinda measure it indirectly.

I realize this doesn't really answer your question. I don't know what he was thinking, but probably he thought this was a really great idea that the fans would love. The problem is no one challenged him on it so he figured it must be a great idea and stayed with it.
Thank you for this! I feel much better now, having read this.

Annikhan
12.30.2011 , 09:50 PM | #35
I know where this came from and I find it irritating as hell.

It stemmed from a Trilogy .. I forget who wrote it but it was a great story with Mara Jade and Tallon Karrade and Grand Admiral thrawn.

Midichlorians where a discovery that allowed Jedi (strong Force users) to be cloned without creating a strong force resonance that drove the clone and the original person crazy before the clone reached maturity. It was a great plot device in the series in which it was introduced.

And the it got introduced rhetroactively into the Old Republic... Should never have happened in my opinion... Went from being a mystery to a scientific measurable quantity.

"OH he's onlny got a handful of mediclorians... Guess he can be a janitor..."

One of those great plot devices that gained a life of it's own and rapidy took things into a nose dive.

Nole_Man
01.02.2012 , 07:33 AM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by MissTwilight View Post
I'm not trying to be antagonistic with the title -- I'm actually curious as to what he intended with these blood-born things.

A quick search of the Web turns up a lot of explanation but not much background. For example Urban Dictionary defines Midichlorian as: "Word imagined by George Lucas to totally f***-up The misticism surrounding the Force in Star Wars."

So does anyone know the actual background of the Midichlorians and why Lucas decided that they were the wellspring of the Force? Anyone with inside knowledge (Maybe some of the Mythbusters play??)?

To me, it seemed like what Lucas was trying to show was that the Jedi of old had all kinds of knowledge that was lost in the totalitarian regime of the Empire.

Of course, in the end, Midichlorians joined Jar Jar Binks, Padme's constant wardrobe changes and the Trade Federation as the primary villain of the prequels on the post-TPM trash heap of ideas. But I'd still love to know what Lucas was trying to get at.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Phenomolee
01.02.2012 , 08:58 AM | #37
Now, I understand that in the film the midichlorians were actually meant to BE the Force. I.e. they actually caused Force sensitivity. My understanding is that this IS what Lucas originally meant.

However, just about every other person realized how insane this was and retconned it. I follow the retcon which makes PERFECT SENSE.

Basically, midichlorians are sort of like crayfish. You see, crayfish live only in clean water. They do not cause water to be clean; you couldn't toss a bunch of crayfish into a polluted lake and it would become pristine. They simply only live in clean water, so if you find crayfish in a lake or stream you know the water is clean. They are indicators.

Midichlorians are like crayfish; they are indicators. They show that a particular individual has high Force sensitivity. Oh they grow in every person, but they need high levels of Force sensitivity to really propagate and reach high numbers. So what; Anakin had a level of over 20,000? An average Jedi would probably have something like 5-10 thousand, while a non-Force sensitive would have more like a few hundred or, at most 1,000.

This provides a logical way of determine who was Force sensitive (thus explaining how the Order found new Jedi hopefuls) while still keeping the mysticism of the Force alive. What is it? Well we still don't know, but at least we can kinda measure it indirectly.

I realize this doesn't really answer your question. I don't know what he was thinking, but probably he thought this was a really great idea that the fans would love. The problem is no one challenged him on it so he figured it must be a great idea and stayed with it.

Excellent explanation! Midiclorians as an indicator, not as the source.

Atamosk
01.02.2012 , 09:44 AM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by LokenKreig View Post
There is a simple solution to this: There is no prequel trilogy. TOR is the real prequel.
/thread
running is never a bad thing

LordMerrick
01.03.2012 , 11:15 PM | #39
I dont see what the big deal is? The idea of symbiotic relationships reflects real life biology. There are countless species on earth that gain new abilities on account of a symbiotic organism.....abilities they otherwise would not have.

Just to give you a simple and common example: Cattle cannot digest the grass/straw that is their diet. Not even a little bit. There is a bacteria that lives in their stomachs, that digests the cows food for them. Without this bacteria all cows would starve to death.

My first intuition when introduced to the concept of midichlorians in the movie was that some people have this organism...which probably began as a parasite....and others do not. The organism is responsible for giving you the power to detect and thereby to utilize...the force. This is a perfectly understandable and sensible concept for anyone who paid attention in high school biology.

Rikalonius
01.04.2012 , 12:36 AM | #40

Not sure if you know what a 'no' prize is, but you get one. That is a great retconn, but it’s just that, a retconn. I refuse to let GL off the hook for the stupidity that was the use of midiclorians in the TPM. Had Lucas carefully laid out just what you said, then I wouldn't have been antagonistic to it, but that would require someone as science fiction inept as he to consult someone else, something he has categorically shown unwillingness to do. That was not his explanation, nor his intent. His intent was to have some magic Jedi measuring stick so that he could put space Jesus Anakin on par with Yoda. It was stupid! As Eros would say, "You see? Your stupid minds! Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!" That's how I feel whenever Lucas talks pretty much.