Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Midichlorians - what was Lucas thinking?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Midichlorians - what was Lucas thinking?

Xzulld
12.29.2011 , 11:54 AM | #21
Sci fi is all about blurring the lines between science and imagination.

Personally I like the concept.

Pinely
12.29.2011 , 12:08 PM | #22
Going to echo the point about Lucas wanting to push his Science Fantasy series into Science Fiction. I think the idea was that Midichlorians were intended to be like Element Zero in Mass Effect. Explaining away the magic stuff as something technical, as opposed to something more mystical. Clearly, it didn't work. Indeed, part of the popularity of Star Wars is its Science Fantasy setting and I don't think fans liked the shoe-horn explanation for the force. Most of us were simply content with the Force existing as is, without need for explanation.

Sylentmana
12.29.2011 , 03:40 PM | #23
Star Wars is Sci-fi fantasy.

Venan
12.29.2011 , 06:06 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Daederik View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Venan View Post
Midichlorians are like crayfish; they are indicators. They show that a particular individual has high Force sensitivity. Oh they grow in every person, but they need high levels of Force sensitivity to really propagate and reach high numbers. So what; Anakin had a level of over 20,000? An average Jedi would probably have something like 5-10 thousand, while a non-Force sensitive would have more like a few hundred or, at most 1,000.

This provides a logical way of determine who was Force sensitive (thus explaining how the Order found new Jedi hopefuls) while still keeping the mysticism of the Force alive. What is it? Well we still don't know, but at least we can kinda measure it indirectly.
This is a good way to look at it. I think a lot of people (Such as myself) took it as "Midis ARE the force."

Your logic makes sense good sir
And indeed I think that IS what Lucas originally intended, that they ARE the Force. However that is completely inane and every EU source I have run into better explains it by saying "Oh no, they aren't THE FORCE, they just show where it is."
Jai-Ko Venan ::: :::
Eternal Vigilance ::: Recruitment Thread ::: SWTOR Guild HQ ::: :::

Sabster
12.29.2011 , 07:16 PM | #25
I remember Lucas saying that was one of his biggest mistakes with Star Wars. The "rule of two" was also one.

JacenHallis
12.29.2011 , 09:01 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Jett_Skirata View Post
QGJ was mistaken, and or misinformed.
No, he wasn't. He said exactly what the "retcon" said: midichlorians are an effect of the Force; they are not the cause of it.

This in no way invalidates either Ben's or Yoda's explanations of the Force in the OT. One must remember that the Force was widely known in the time of the prequels. Jedi were numerous. The Empire rewrote history when it took control of the Republic. Jedi became criminals and outcasts, and their source of power became a myth. That's why Luke had no idea what the Force was.

So, rather than go into what little scientific information they actually had obtained regarding the Force, he came up with a quick, easy explanation for it. Besides, Obi-Wan never struck me as the scientific type.

Midichlorians were just a tool used to determine force sensitivity. No more, no less. They're no more the reason the Force exists than is the spot in Leia's mind that nearly knocked Luke out of his chair when he pushed on it. Both are just ways to observe the Force.
Ruminara Ven
Passion, yet serenity.

FirstAngelus
12.30.2011 , 05:02 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Sabster View Post
I remember Lucas saying that was one of his biggest mistakes with Star Wars. The "rule of two" was also one.
And he didnt mention Jar Jar? Or Episode I entirely? Or all the prequels?^^ Or Aliens in Indiana Jo... oh thats not star wars...

However.... If we TRY to get some sense into that Modochlorians-issue I'd say they are more kind of harmless parasites that simply "sense" the force and feel confortable close to high concentrations... like some life forms like it where its warm, others where its wet and Midichlorians like it in force-intense bodys^^
That would simply turn them into a side effect, not causing the force or such, but a "usefull tool" to identify force sensitive people.

Girarf
12.30.2011 , 05:13 AM | #28
I don't know if you've read this, might help shed some light on the matter.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Midi-chlorian

Lockyda
12.30.2011 , 05:24 AM | #29
see with the originals I think it left it to the point where no one really needed it explained... I think that was part of the charm which is ironic cause I get pissed when things arn't. As they put the Force is within everything and you can hear it if you open yourself to it.

Most people just remained closeminded as it's like trying to move a Tail you don't have...

Adryn
12.30.2011 , 05:30 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by LokenKreig View Post
There is a simple solution to this: There is no prequel trilogy. TOR is the real prequel.
while midichlorians are not mentioned in game they are mentioned in the related novels (Red harvest)