Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

So why isn't BW/EA doing what they said about letting people in?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
So why isn't BW/EA doing what they said about letting people in?

Virance
12.13.2011 , 08:47 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by HunchaBoes View Post
It isn't about whether their server load can handle the usage. It can. The thing they are worried about is game play experience for people. They don't want 90million people competing for the same quest mobs making for an unpleasant early access/launch experience.

This is why they are staggering the invites to early access.
You realize that SWTOR shards zones when necessary, to prevent exactly that problem no matter how many people need to be in 'x' zone at a given moment.

Now, a 'server' consists of more than one hardware server - with different zones/behaviors spread to different hardware shards, so having the entire game-server's capacity in a single zone is still absolutely going to lead to worse performance than having them spread out throughout many zones (and likely across at least two hardware shards).

It really does come down to hardware server load as the #1 thing though; until the community spreads out a bit, they have two options.

A: Release more servers at a staggering rate, only to have to do server merges down to the line
or
B: Allow for enormous queues early on after the flood of initial players

Bioware tried an experiment with C, limit the amount of players who can even enter the queue - to make the experience better for all involved.

NONE are a good option, but nobody has presented a better alternative yet - certainly not on an MMO scale. I would have been fine with B or C, but I'm REALLY glad they didn't go with A. Trying to please everyone for the first week while screwing a huge portion of them over long term (due to awful populations on many servers) is insane.

It has nothing to do with not being confident in the product either. Even if Bioware manages a 100% subscription retention, after the initial excitement winds down the concurrent user count is going to drop like a rock.

Foenixz
12.13.2011 , 09:26 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Sabster View Post
I know for a fact that a friend got into early access, and he pre-ordered in September. But my 2nd account was pre-ordered in August.

How can that be, if they supposedly started with the first pre-order and running through the database? Both of my accounts are CE, and his isn't - so that's not it either.

Does anyone know for sure how they're doing early access? cuz it's clearly not starting with #1 and working their way down the list.
SS or it didn't happen
Member Synergy Online Gaming

since 2002 and we are still going strong

Paralassa
12.13.2011 , 10:35 PM | #23
Hi there!

There is an active discussion topic for early game access/waves:

Final Wave Sent!

In the interest of consolidating discussion, we have closed this thread and ask that you use the one linked above for any further discussion. Thank you!