Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Is reverse engineering bugged or still a work in progress?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Is reverse engineering bugged or still a work in progress?

Slayd_'s Avatar


Slayd_
12.28.2011 , 11:08 PM | #1
Getting kind of fed-up with whenever i try to RE to get a schematic, after 15-20 RE's I get nothing.. I wish there was more of a guarantee that the more I RE a particular item the greater the chance that I will eventually get something.. my experience so far is that it is completely random.. though earlier on in my synthweaving experience I seemed to get the schematics a lot easier.. now that I'm at 200+ skill I seem to very rarely get a schematic from REing.. is this common, I mean, anyone else experiencing this? I'd love to make myself an item here and there that's really nice with my synthweaving but I always end up with just a blue item with an augment slot after using 20-40000 credits worth of resources.. I might as well just buy from the marketplace right?

Yes, I am angry. I really don't care about the resources/credits spent.. for me it's about using my crafting skill to make something I can use for myself, half the time after so many RE I just have to give up and move on since my synthweaving/character level are on par and I end up outleveling the item I was trying to make.

Anyway I'm not happy with the randomness of reverse engineering.. seems like you need a guild funding your research so you can just spent thousands of resources getting the nice purple schematics.

pSyToR's Avatar


pSyToR
12.28.2011 , 11:13 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Slayd_ View Post
Getting kind of fed-up with whenever i try to RE to get a schematic, after 15-20 RE's I get nothing.. I wish there was more of a guarantee that the more I RE a particular item the greater the chance that I will eventually get something.. my experience so far is that it is completely random.. though earlier on in my synthweaving experience I seemed to get the schematics a lot easier.. now that I'm at 200+ skill I seem to very rarely get a schematic from REing.. is this common, I mean, anyone else experiencing this? I'd love to make myself an item here and there that's really nice with my synthweaving but I always end up with just a blue item with an augment slot after using 20-40000 credits worth of resources.. I might as well just buy from the marketplace right?

Yes, I am angry. I really don't care about the resources/credits spent.. for me it's about using my crafting skill to make something I can use for myself, half the time after so many RE I just have to give up and move on since my synthweaving/character level are on par and I end up outleveling the item I was trying to make.

Anyway I'm not happy with the randomness of reverse engineering.. seems like you need a guild funding your research so you can just spent thousands of resources getting the nice purple schematics.
Working as intended...

Need to RE a lot to have artifacts... sad but true...

Not an easy thing to craft...
■████████████████████]}][Ξ])])])))|((([([([Ξ][{[████████████████████■

SheepishOne's Avatar


SheepishOne
12.29.2011 , 12:16 AM | #3
Hey. 400 Armormech (50 BH) here. I've found RE works, but it's insanely wasteful and not very well adjusted to the other gear obtaining methods.

Let's take the L49 Body piece you can craft from the vendor. I find I get a Tier 1 recipe every 20-30 RE's. I find it's about every 50-70 for Tier 2. There are 3 T1 and 5T2 combinations, many of them will be useless for your purposes but you're still rolling for them. Assuming worst case scenario and the one you're looking for is the last. You'll be spending close to 3/4 a day (played time) just crafting and 1.5-2kish mats of each category to get the item you want. Then you'll need to craft it until it crits for an augment. Then you can repeat this for the other 5 item pieces. If you're planning on selling to others there are what, 3-4 sets you need to do this for depending on class and branch? It will get mind numbingly annoying. Throw the search for epic schematics on the pile and it begins to feel like Armormech and Syntheweavers may become the capital pilots of TOR guilds.

The only plus side to Armormech is that it MAY let you make cosmetically interesting gear. I haven't seen any armormech schematics that don't produce gear that isn't already available through other means yet, but the possibility persists. I'm still not sure if the augments are going to be more powerful or even comparable to the item set bonuses PvP and PvE armor have.

pryt's Avatar


pryt
12.29.2011 , 12:43 AM | #4
It's an MMO, considered to be played for a long time, it's not like you get everything in the first few weeks. It's not a single player game. Get used to.

Sad part is: all your effort is more or less a waste of time. Except of course you think like me: I'm happy with the stuff I craft.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ...
... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ...

pSyToR's Avatar


pSyToR
12.29.2011 , 02:54 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by pryt View Post
It's an MMO, considered to be played for a long time, it's not like you get everything in the first few weeks. It's not a single player game. Get used to.

Sad part is: all your effort is more or less a waste of time. Except of course you think like me: I'm happy with the stuff I craft.
QFE

totally agree

I feel it rewarding to get the Artifact even after 100 RE!!!
■████████████████████]}][Ξ])])])))|((([([([Ξ][{[████████████████████■

Slayd_'s Avatar


Slayd_
12.29.2011 , 03:48 AM | #6
Yeah this is what I want, to make it for myself and then I'll be happy.. it's just that after 20+ RE and getting nothing.. I just want to give up and move on, my friends are leveling and I can't spend all my time on crafting or I'll get left behind.. just wish I could make something along the way.. I mean, I don't expect everything I try to craft to be RE into a purple.. but the last 3 times I've tried to make something, it's been fail, and I've ended up using either a blue item with the prefix I wasn't looking for, or a green with an augment slot.

Oh and.. they really need to fix how you can RE and get the same schematic you already have.. I mean seriously, you make RE this hard at least make it so you can't double up on them.

UrbiEtObi's Avatar


UrbiEtObi
12.29.2011 , 05:02 AM | #7
glad im not the only one :P
its a bit annoying though with the procs. Im REing everything and im sitting at 120 Biochem since days. My other professions are way above 300. No way of improvement due to missing luck sucks a bit.

Yaesive's Avatar


Yaesive
12.29.2011 , 08:07 AM | #8
You need to look at the stats on your Crafting side as well. The higher the stat the mode difficult the RE side becomes. I know that at the lower level as I crafted items I would get other schematics learned with the improvements. So it is a give and take here.
Yaesive | Jo'lin | Fojea
Jedi Sage | Jedi Guardian | Smuggler
Jedi Covenant - Outer-Rim Recon Battalion Formerly Canderous Ordo
"Do or Do Not. There is no Try" - Yoda

Raximillian's Avatar


Raximillian
12.29.2011 , 08:11 AM | #9
I think it's fine as it is. If you want to get the best of the best of the best, then you need to put time and effort into the game. If they were just given by the trainer, the game crafting would be like any other game out there, and be quite boring.

Ravaran's Avatar


Ravaran
12.29.2011 , 08:18 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Raximillian View Post
I think it's fine as it is. If you want to get the best of the best of the best, then you need to put time and effort into the game. If they were just given by the trainer, the game crafting would be like any other game out there, and be quite boring.
Agreed. Learning the best recipes is supposed to cost something.