Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Emperor Palpatine's racism, but Maul as an apprentice?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Emperor Palpatine's racism, but Maul as an apprentice?

Khechari
12.28.2011 , 10:27 PM | #1
If Emperor Palpatine was so racist, why did he take Maul as his apprentice? Did he just not become racist until he assumed control of the resurrected Empire, if so, for what reason did he change? It's a well known fact from the books that he was very racist....

Rayla_Felana
12.28.2011 , 10:41 PM | #2
I think you're misunderstanding, only the species that are less humanoid he considers inferior, races like Chiss, Iridonians, etc.. he considers near equal, Pureblood Sith were the real racists in Star Wars, far more elitist than Sidious.

Khechari
12.28.2011 , 11:02 PM | #3
Well, it's been a while since I've read any of the books, but I don't remember him making exceptions for any non human race.

blooddodo
12.29.2011 , 03:54 AM | #4
Oh, he was racist all right, but he did make full use of the tools he had, like Maul and Thrawn, who was an admiral no less. Maul was a powerful warrior whom Sidious used to further his goals.
You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?
dA gallery

acheros
12.29.2011 , 03:59 AM | #5
maul was seen as a tool for him to use and manipulate, not as an equal. He didn't even think vader as an equal.

ObiQuiYett
12.29.2011 , 01:33 PM | #6
It would seem that Darth Sidious was an equal opportunity hater, but by playing to the dominant species of the galaxy, humans, he could garner the largest amount of followers and slaves. The humans get to hear that they're special and thus find no fault that less special people should be enslaved. He's an opportunist, through and through, feeding off of hate and despair is just a bonus to him.

Khechari
12.29.2011 , 08:32 PM | #7
ya I guess

ricofico
12.29.2011 , 09:25 PM | #8
The Emperor wasnt racist, he was speciest. Even with that I dont think so either. There are a couple of things to consider. He master wasnt human, his first apprentice wasnt human, those closest to him while he was chancelor werent human. He was also aware of the Vong, which to my understanding was why the Deathstar was planned for. At any rate humans are easier to control. But the main reason for me is that he was scared of other species. And we all know where fear leads to...
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.

Zalocx
12.29.2011 , 10:31 PM | #9
The Empire was pro-human because it made the whole institution easier to control. I have never gotten the feeling Palpatine was himself racist in anyway. Hell he looked down on EVERYONE not because they "weren't human" but because he had convinced himself that he was no longer a mere human either. He thought he was literally the Dark Side made manifest, and that made him superior to everyone regardless of race.

Tychu
12.29.2011 , 11:29 PM | #10
I don't believe Palpatine himself was ever a xenophobe, it was the rest of Imperial High Command (Grand Moff Tarkin) that implemented the Human High Culture idea. Palpatine saw the use in those that would serve him loyally (Thrawn) and as someone else said letting the idea of Human High Culture helped him keep humans under him and aliens squashed.