Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Slicing post-nerf, please look at the numbers BW

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Slicing post-nerf, please look at the numbers BW

Renifizzle
12.27.2011 , 12:50 PM | #1
Please look at the numbers now Bioware.
I am not jumping up and down saying "PUT IT BACK". I am saying, however, that now it loses money.

Why should I pay 1400 credits on a C6 lockbox search for a box that returns 1000 credits?
Why should I pay 1900 credits for a high reward C5 lockbox that returns 1400 credits?
Remember your design goals BW, slicing is a mission skill for non-crafters. It is a way for them to utilize the crew skills to make money or get gear without entering the crafting world. This skill is no longer profitable as a mission skill.

Please consider adjusting it so the profit margin is smaller, not a complete loss now.

Please give BW some constructive forum posts on this topic, thank you.

EDIT 12/28/11 9AM MST
I apologize, I have not been able to keep on top of this properly for the scope of this thread.

Also, the numbers I got were a result of previously unaccepted mission rewards vs the new item system. It appears that there is now a higher chance of uncommon T6 boxes doing the Moderate/Abundant missions so the profit margin isn't quite as atrocious (read: loss) as it initially seemed.

SirFlashington has done me the favor of compiling a live editable google spreadsheet that you can enter your results in. I forsee this getting wildly out of control if not edited responsibly, so if you have constructive feedback that you would like to give to the community and BW, please enter good information.
K: 67%, A: 67%, S: 33%, E: 33%

Yvin
12.28.2011 , 06:28 PM | #2
Greetings folks!

The previous version of this thread has exceeded our post threshold and we have recreated it for continued discussion.

As a gentle reminder to everyone, please remember the following:
  • Insults - Please do not resort to or use them in any way in your posts. Posts should be productive, not destructive.
  • Trolling - Please do not post messages that are purposefully designed to provoke, antagonize, or otherwise elicit a negative emotional response.
  • Agree to Disagree - Be respectful of others' viewpoints even if they are opposite of your own. Discuss disagreements constructively.
  • Flag, Don't Fight - Utilize the Flag Post feature to report possible rules violations, rather than responding to or fighting them.
  • Ignoring - If you feel you simply cannot get along with another community member, please place them on your ignore list.

Thank you!

Pansophist
12.28.2011 , 06:32 PM | #3
Fantastic. A new thread. And yet still no feedback.

Awesome communication, guys.

At least let us know you are looking into the issue instead of knee-jerking to the people who feel slighted by the patch. Let us know that you will run the numbers, think about the problem, then develop a solution.

Or let us know that you just don't care.

knightnvy
12.28.2011 , 06:32 PM | #4
knee jerk reactions... NEVER make for a good MMO publisher
Post hoc ergo propter hoc
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

decadosleepless
12.28.2011 , 06:32 PM | #5
This is great post, explaining in more professional way what Im, in my amateur knowledge of economics, expecting to happen.

http://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/commen...mistsbusiness/

supersonicks
12.28.2011 , 06:33 PM | #6
Fishing in wow still gave you fishes (what it was/is intended for) w/ cooking was of great value to keep or sell (not sure on Cata >). Still wanting to know if Slicing is really meant for just augments and the lockboxes are supposed to be just insignificant bonus creds. If so, then how in-demand augments can ever get since it's reliant on crafting crits. Hmn.

1651 posts and you'd think somebody from BW would care to calm things down. hah!

VioletZero
12.28.2011 , 06:34 PM | #7
I'm not saying its current implementation is perfect, but Slicing mission skills should NOT be profitable because of how mission skills work.

It would essentially turn into a money generator. Put in money, get more later. No cost of any sort.

Given how there is not even a time cost associated with slicing(unless you count the ten seconds it costs to order your companions away), it was a completely broken infinite motion.

My suggestions are as follows:

1. Make node gathering much better.

2. Make missions more "risk/reward" instead of a consistent profitability.

3. OR just repurpose slicing to something else all together.
I'm a thinker. I could break it down. I'm a shooter. A drastic baby.

Obi_Ron
12.28.2011 , 06:35 PM | #8
The OP in this post presents a good argument why slicing had to be nerfed.

Hajizan
12.28.2011 , 06:35 PM | #9
augment missions? lol pay 1780 credits and get some random green lv 47 item, no thanks.

knightnvy
12.28.2011 , 06:35 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by supersonicks View Post
Fishing in wow still gave you fishes (what it was intended for) w/ cooking was of great value to keep or sell (not sure on Cata >). Still wanting to know if Slicing is really meant for just augments and the lockboxes were suppose to be just insignificant bonus creds.

1651 posts and you'd think somebody from BW would care to calm things down. hah!
What no.... they are just stuck in a meeting and one guy in the corner is going... I TOLD YOU SO! and the rep from LA is going WE NEED TO CAVE TO ALL QQing! WE DONT WANT SWG AGAIN... and everyone else is crying
Post hoc ergo propter hoc
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII