Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I am so angry at the Sith warrior main story. (Spoiler inside)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
I am so angry at the Sith warrior main story. (Spoiler inside)

Varlak
07.18.2020 , 07:49 PM | #1
How the hell is this possible to be forced to keep Malavai Quinn. I'm role playing a Dark Side Sith. I kill people because they have failed to complete a task but I will let live someone who tried to kill me and worst. I'll keep him as an allied.

If I was a light side sith I might be able to see a reason to let him live, but keeping him on my ship ?

Sure I can sit him and don't even send him on crew mission. But every time I come aboard my ship I see his face and it makes me rage.

ceryxp
07.18.2020 , 08:08 PM | #2
Without spoilers, if it remains your intention you can rectify that matter later.

With spoilers
Spoiler
============================================================
Friends of SWTOR Referral program - My Referral Link
New players can get a Jumpstart Bundle. Returning players can get a Preferred Friends Bundle & 7-days of premium time. Bundles are given on first use only.

WooJa
07.18.2020 , 08:58 PM | #3
It was made possible to kill him in the beta, however, he was also the SW's only chance at a healer comp. Without him, the class would be made without a healer. As such, Bioware removed the option to keep the player base happy because they were mad decisions actually mattered.
"Training of a true Jedi does not come from listening to countless lectures. One must learn to show action, how to do things, not just think about them. There is no try."
―WooJa Alden - Legion Of Coruscant - LOC -

SteveTheCynic
07.19.2020 , 01:44 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by ceryxp View Post
Spoiler
No.
Spoiler

Quinn is a man, so there's less than no point in using the "singular they" to talk about him.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
?REDO FROM START

ceryxp
07.19.2020 , 06:57 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
No.
Spoiler

Quinn is a man, so there's less than no point in using the "singular they" to talk about him.
No,
Spoiler

I guess it has never occurred to you that a person may use gender neutral pronouns because of who they are. I use gender neutral pronouns. If you do not like that I do not care. The next time that you find my use of gender neutral pronouns so offensive that you feel the need to make a completely unnecessary comment to try to correct something that is only incorrect to you instead you could ignore it and move on since it does not affect you in any way.
New players can get a Jumpstart Bundle. Returning players can get a Preferred Friends Bundle & 7-days of premium time. Bundles are given on first use only.

Varlak
07.19.2020 , 01:21 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by ceryxp View Post
No,
Spoiler

I guess it has never occurred to you that a person may use gender neutral pronouns because of who they are. I use gender neutral pronouns. If you do not like that I do not care. The next time that you find my use of gender neutral pronouns so offensive that you feel the need to make a completely unnecessary comment to try to correct something that is only incorrect to you instead you could ignore it and move on since it does not affect you in any way.
I agree that him making a post only for that purpose was unnecessary. But saying that using a neutral pronoun is the way to go is actually incorrect. Quiin never asked to be referred with a neutral pronoun and since he is referred as a HE/HIM several times during the questing it would be actually rude to refer to him with a neutral pronoun. You may refer to people you don't know with a neutral pronoun to be polite if you want, but once they state a preferred one, continuing using the neutrality is quite impolite.

Also since when THEY is a correct use of neutral pronoun ? French speaker so I'm curious.

Mortlupo
07.19.2020 , 01:42 PM | #7
It is not correct...English uses he/him for masculine and when referring to someone whos gender in unknown, she/her for feminine, and it/them for neuter (inanimate objects).

LD_Little_Dragon
07.19.2020 , 04:48 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Mortlupo View Post
It is not correct...English uses he/him for masculine and when referring to someone whos gender in unknown, she/her for feminine, and it/them for neuter (inanimate objects).
That is an outdated way of thinking. Language changes and evolves. In modern society I would say it is actually rude to use he/him to refer to a person who's gender is unknown to you. Acting as though everyone is male unless you are told otherwise can annoying. I don't bother correcting people who call me 'dude' or 'man' in chat, but too much of that sort of assumption being normal gets tiresome.

https://public.oed.com/blog/a-brief-...singular-they/

In this particular case it might not be technically correct to have used 'when they return' instead of 'when he returns', but it doesn't really matter.
Stealthy heals, stealthy dps, stealthy tank.

ceryxp
07.19.2020 , 10:07 PM | #9
One can not misgender by using gender neutral pronouns. They are simply not specifying a gender. That is quite different from gendering someone with a gendered pronoun that does not align with that person's gender. When someone has identified their gender and their preferred pronouns it is polite to use those pronouns, but continuing to use gender neutral pronouns is not the same as misgendering someone, and most certainly not the same as continuing to misgender someone after they have identified their gender and pronouns. People who do not align with the gender binary often feel more comfortable using gender neutral pronouns rather than assuming a person's gender based upon their gender expression.

It can not be rude to refer to a video game NPC by a gender neutral pronoun. That would be like someone getting angry because someone called their car a "she" when the owner has decided that the car is a "he." While Quinn is referenced with male gender pronouns throughout the game, when the game launched it catered solely to the heteronormative, cisgender crowd. All characters of male sex were a "he," and all characters of female sex were a "she." But sex is not gender. While several other BioWare games are much more inclusive, for example the mono-sexual and mono-gendered Asari in Mass Effect, and Cremisius "Krem" Aclassi from Dragon Age, a transgender character, SWTOR was not very inclusive at launch. Some progress has been made with the inclusion of same-sex romances, but the game steers quite far from the topic of gender. Characters are identified by their sex and within the context of the game sex is a binary (except for Hutts). But sex is not gender, and deciding on gender based upon sex can lead to misgendering.

The use of "they" as a singular, gender neutral pronoun is not a new convention in English. "They" has been in use as a singular pronoun consistently since the late 1300's. From Geoffrey Chaucer's The Canterbury Tales in the later decades of the 14th century, to Shakespeare's Hamlet around 1600, Jane Austin's Pride and Prejudice in 1813, to Emily Dickinson in 1881 when they wrote: "Almost anyone under the circumstances would have doubted if [the letter] were theirs, or indeed if they were themself." The usage of "they," "their," and even "themself" as singular, gender neutral pronouns is not new; only their use as non-binary pronouns is new. It was only in the mid- to late-18th century that male pronouns, "he" and "him," began seeing usage as gender neutral pronouns, but studies have shown that when "he" or "him" is used as a gender neutral the listener does not hear it as gender neutral, instead they think about a man. As reported by The Guardian, a study published in 2019 found that using gender neutral terms reduced gender biases that favor men and produced more favorable attitudes towards women and LGBTQ+ people[1].

ShadzMGamez
07.27.2020 , 07:25 PM | #10
Oh my god...are we really getting triggered over gender pronouns in this post? I play a **** ton of female toons and get called "her" all the time. I don't even notice 99% of the time.

As for Quinn, YES. I ALWAYS WANT TO KILL HIM THERE. I'd say bring back the choice, but now that he's on Iokath...