Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

In SWTOR the "Real" Game starts at level 1

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
In SWTOR the "Real" Game starts at level 1

Zunayson
12.28.2011 , 05:44 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Reecelol View Post
if you think cut scenes and voice acting make the quest anything but "pick up 10x item" or "kill 10x boars" youre fooling yourself.
Agreed. The story is great not beyond the capital world, and is too slow paced, because they couldn't get a long term story written in, just "track down these guys". And quite frankly, it gets boring. I'd rather be tracking 30 things, and get 1 of them per day. Much more satisfying. I'm sorry, but really. 99.99999999999you9get9the9point999 percent of all quests in this game are "Click A of Bs", "Kill C of Ds to loot Es", or "Walk to point F", or, on God-Forbid, although hopefully on a rare occasion, the plain "kill G of Hs". Every. Single. EVERY. SINGLE ONE! FIND ME ONE WHERE THAT ISN'T THE GIST OF IT!

/nerdgasm rage
Quote: Originally Posted by Uber_the_Goober View Post
Bioware couldn't balance a sheet of plywood if it were laying [sic] on the ground.
Quote: Originally Posted by Aragost View Post
Make sure you take 3/3 in the "knowing how to play" box

Catch_TwentyTwo
12.28.2011 , 05:45 PM | #22
if you think cut scenes and voice acting make the quest anything but "pick up 10x item" or "kill 10x boars" youre fooling yourself.
And if you think that this game is only that then you're playing it wrong...

P.S. I have yet to see a Boar IG, what planet are they on?
CATCH TwentyTwo

SW:TOR FORUM REVIEW PLAYLISTLATEST VIDEO
(Be original: Post a comment about how fat I am, or my lisp, but keep it civil...)

Zunayson
12.28.2011 , 05:46 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Catch_TwentyTwo View Post
And if you think that this game is only that then you're playing it wrong...

P.S. I have yet to see a Boar IG, what planet are they on?
It's called Azeroth, a planet adde in the new game expansion sleighed for 2004. The technology is really outdated, though. Oh, wait...

On a serious note, do you mean to say there's more to this game then cutscenes, dialogue, and the tedious WoW quests?
Quote: Originally Posted by Uber_the_Goober View Post
Bioware couldn't balance a sheet of plywood if it were laying [sic] on the ground.
Quote: Originally Posted by Aragost View Post
Make sure you take 3/3 in the "knowing how to play" box

Wrexad
12.28.2011 , 05:48 PM | #24
Ye the game stops at lvl 50 because everything is bugged and nothing is being done about it.

Ghaiana
12.28.2011 , 05:48 PM | #25
For me any MMORPG starts at level 1, I never understood why people even bother playing a MMO if they don't want to level. If that was what people really wanted gamemakers should just take out the leveling part. But they don't, because they also know lots of people just enjoy leveling and exploring.

Only a very small group of MMO players these days indeed raids on regular basis. I think those people are actually afraid that raiding will become less and less important for gamemakers. Raids cost a lot of effort to design and why bother when less than 10% of the players actually gets to see that "famous" endgame. And in my opinion raiding is just übergrinding. Most games including WoW make you do the same raid ten times or more to gather a few pieces of gear, which are worthless once an expansion with new levels is released.

I heard that SWTOR wants to increase the amount of planets and add a lot of content that way. I really hope that will be the plan eventually and not some dungeons where people have to go in forever to show how able they are.

ChuangTzu
12.28.2011 , 05:49 PM | #26

There are very few quests that are only go kill 10 droids. That is in there ofcourse but it is usually only the bonus quest and not compulsory to complete the quest. The context set by the dialog makes the game so much more.

I'm sorry you don't feel this way.
"Words are for conveying ideas, but when the ideas are understood, you forget the words. How I would love to talk to someone who's forgotten all the words!" Chuang Tzu

Nmaharg
12.28.2011 , 05:50 PM | #27
Meh leveling is nice, but I;m in it for the PvP and Raids. Glad this game offers the best of both worlds though.

Tyrloch
12.28.2011 , 05:51 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Theodwulf View Post
End game IS the game in an MMO, everything else is prologue.
Only in WoW and a few others.

Most MMOs seem to have only a token end game compared to WoW. Some, Like City of Heroes, have very little indeed.

It seems it's easy to pick out those where most of their MMO experience, and probably their only significant MMO experience, was in WoW. They seem to think WoW is the only way to do an MMO, and anything any game does differently than WoW is a flaw.

Get over it, go back to WoW or deal with the fact that this is NOT WoW with starships and lightsabers, will never be WoW, and most of us don't want it to ever become WoW.

WoW was a phenomenon. But the WoW juggernaut is slowing down. Maybe that's why you are here. Even you know WoW's best days are well behind it. Now we are watching the slow bleed of a game past it's prime. So, you are searching for it's eventual replacement.

Well, this ain't it.

Maybe you are like all those idiots on the WoW forums last spring shilling for Rift. Did Blizz put all of you up to this. Did they realize this is a really bad time for any real competition to show up.

They blew Cata, it didn't go over well at all. a million lost subs the first 6 months after release. Over reacted, announced the next expansion will be complete casual fluff, and hemorhaged another million subs. Now SWToR comes and threatens to steal a million more. Now, lets be real, 9 million remeining subs still leaves WoW well in 1st place as the most popular MMO, and it is still a juggernaut, just a little weaker one... bleeding subs because of bad decisions on Blizz part.

Ah, well, it was fun....

YzenDanek
12.28.2011 , 05:53 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Klarick View Post
So, WoWs end-game has been going on for the last 8 years?
WoW's raids, where less than 6% of the player base (Blizzards numbers -- not mine) ever see it, is end game?
Changing your toons play-style with every patch is end-game?

The only "true" end-game that any game can have is PvP. I will let you figure that statement out, as it would take a bit to explain it fully.

Your statement of End-Game IS the game is why MMOs of today fail. This paradigm was created by Blizzard, who because of their paradigm now has to spend months upon months and spend a huge budget in creating so called end-game content every two months. After all that time and money they sit back and watch their "end-game" players burn through it in 2 weeks then head to the forum and scream for more.

You have missed the point of the topic dear Sir. This Paradigm NEEDS to be broken or we will all be stuck playing WoW forever. BW took a chance with SWTOR. They have decided to attack that paradigm.

I for one believe they succeeded.
The problem you're not facing, though, is that a subscription based game has to be able to keep up whatever it's best at more or less indefinitely.

This game is built a lot like Bioware's other games, that one plays for 50ish hours and then eventually removes from their hard drives, resigned only to collect dust in its case on a bookshelf.

MMOs need subs to survive.

This game is going to have to turn the corner until the next expansion from story-based to endgame-based. Does it look ready to do that?

Swift
12.28.2011 , 05:53 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by KetMalice View Post
No, 3 hours of cut scenes about go collect 10 X on each planet gets old very quickly.
So youd rather a quest be presented to you with a bunch of text nobody actually reads, thus rendering the reason or story for the quest utterly moot?

That sounds compelling