Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

In SWTOR the "Real" Game starts at level 1

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
In SWTOR the "Real" Game starts at level 1

Captain_Failure
12.28.2011 , 05:17 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Theodwulf View Post
WOW ,you must set the bar awefully low for "spectacular".
When you can't change a man's tastes, insult them. Standard troll tactic. Nothing to see here.

Catch_TwentyTwo
12.28.2011 , 05:19 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Klarick View Post
Your SWTOR life begins at level 1.
So true; it's just such a shame that the "space tappers" just want to power grind their way to level 50, without actually understanding the nuances of the decisions that are maiing and how they will impact their final character.
CATCH TwentyTwo

SW:TOR FORUM REVIEW PLAYLISTLATEST VIDEO
(Be original: Post a comment about how fat I am, or my lisp, but keep it civil...)

sosolidshoe
12.28.2011 , 05:20 PM | #13
WOW ,you must set the bar awefully low for "spectacular".
Not really, VA is bloody hard, I've tried it for a few mods and adverts, considering the volume involved the voicework in TOR -is- pretty bloody spectacular. Although I will say - for the love of pete, stop using whoever it is who voiced Bastila Shan and now seems to appear as a random character every few levels, or at the very least, stop giving her parts which call for an English accent. It is literally painful to listen to for anyone from the UK, she mangles it.

Catch_TwentyTwo
12.28.2011 , 05:25 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by KetMalice View Post
No, 3 hours of cut scenes about go collect 10 X on each planet gets old very quickly.
What game are YOU playing, because it sounds nothing like SWTOR...
Quote: Originally Posted by Klarick View Post
All I can say is that you and I are obviously playing a different game. In my SWTOR the missions are incredibly well written and voice-acted. WHat BW has done here is nothing short of spectacular.
Exactly!
What happens when you hit level cap? That is the difference between a single player game and a MMO. End game IS the game in an MMO, everything else is prologue.
Oh really??? I'm not sure what you expected, but you clearly misunderstood what BIOWARE were going for here. The style and structure of this game has been known for over 2 years and yet you don't get it.

Perhaps this is the wrong game for people and people of your ilk.
CATCH TwentyTwo

SW:TOR FORUM REVIEW PLAYLISTLATEST VIDEO
(Be original: Post a comment about how fat I am, or my lisp, but keep it civil...)

Zunayson
12.28.2011 , 05:33 PM | #15
No, 3 hours of cut scenes about go collect 10 X on each planet gets old very quickly.
Quote: Originally Posted by Syas View Post
Amen.
^My thoughts exactly^

The game is great, I'm hooked, I'll pay, but really, it doesn't feel like kotor in how the objectives work. In kotor, you had huge objective. They don't make you do anything else. you do it voluntarily. You don't ever have to kill anyone in Kotor (Except maybe the endgame boss). You only have to find the starmaps/lost jedi on the planets. Also, the missions past your origin world are totally random. On the origin world, I feel like I'm getting closer to defeating the Flesh Raiders, because I'm helping not only to thin their ranks, but also helping some jedi learn about their culture/find a base/smash elixir potions. I feel like I did made an impact, not just filler so we can p(l)ay longer. Past there, for example, I feel just like WoW with way better combat and graphics. Now I always hear people saying WoW has better graphics and combat, okay, sure, at level 85, it's beast. If you don't get my hooked by the first 2 days with all that great stuff, then I won't care about the joys of endgame, Ill have to deal with the grind of mid game!. On Balmorra as an Agent, I'm doing random things at first to some resistance, then to some cyborgs, and then to some droid factory and dockworkers (lol?). From doing chores for other characters to random filler quests, I'm forgetting why the hell I'm on this rock. Oh yeah, to kill some guy, even though I had that no reason why I couldn't just journey through the whole map looking for it (And bring an army, since I wouldn't've grinded all my way 5 levels ), like kotor. There was no filler, there were about 5 missions max per planet in kotor (kotor 1 only, wayyy more in kotor 2), it just took a long time to complete them, with combat on the way.
Quote: Originally Posted by Uber_the_Goober View Post
Bioware couldn't balance a sheet of plywood if it were laying [sic] on the ground.
Quote: Originally Posted by Aragost View Post
Make sure you take 3/3 in the "knowing how to play" box

ChuangTzu
12.28.2011 , 05:37 PM | #16
This is not the game you are looking for!

Move along.
"Words are for conveying ideas, but when the ideas are understood, you forget the words. How I would love to talk to someone who's forgotten all the words!" Chuang Tzu

Reecelol
12.28.2011 , 05:40 PM | #17
if you think cut scenes and voice acting make the quest anything but "pick up 10x item" or "kill 10x boars" youre fooling yourself.
I play wow too. You jealous of my anime hair and ADD?

Koboldfodder
12.28.2011 , 05:40 PM | #18
In themepark MMOs, the game basically starts at or near max level or when you reach a certain point. EQ2 it is max AA points, EQ1 it is around 85 with a set amount of AA points. WOW it is end game because that is the way it is set up. Same thing with Rift. LOTRO is a bit different even though it is a themepark game, but the main grouping part starts at around 60 and the raiding part stats at max levels.

Sandbox MMOs start as soon as you create your character.

You want well written quests, go play the original Everquest game. No "kill x number of beasts" there. In that game you had to read the NPC dialogue, then actually type something in to trigger something else. Then you had to think about the quest, and how it relates to the game world and lore then you had to search for possible quest components, and you would advance to the next part of the quest.

I can assure you, those quests were better written and better implemented than the tasks you have in TOR simply because the game mechanics allowed for players to think rather than react.

Entire gaming communities were created because of the quest system EQ had over a decade ago. There was no quest radar, no quest journal, no map icons, no hints when you moused over the mobs. You had your wits and your friends....of course, once the quest was completed you could just use a website.

That was a real quest system. I like TOR's system because I like Bioware's voice overs, but if you played EQ around 1999, you know exactly what I am talking about. That game also had a lot of built in frustration, something TOR does not have.

Aurinax
12.28.2011 , 05:43 PM | #19
I agree OP, most epic leveling experience I've ever had.

However, if that comes at the cost of end game being awful, this will be a short lived game. I really hope it sticks around and becomes a joint powerhouse in the MMO genre with that other game, but if they don't hit a homerun with end game by about the 2 month mark (not saying it's not already awesome btw, I don't have a 50 yet.) they might die out.

Cavernicolo
12.28.2011 , 05:44 PM | #20
What happens when you hit level cap? That is the difference between a single player game and a MMO. End game IS the game in an MMO, everything else is prologue.

Exactly.