Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

In SWTOR the "Real" Game starts at level 1

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
In SWTOR the "Real" Game starts at level 1

Klarick
12.28.2011 , 05:04 PM | #1
Those that are new to MMO's may not fully appreciate this topics title. Let me explain. In most MMO's the "Real" game does not start until you reach the highest level and begin running the "so-called end-game content". Take the king of MMOS, WoW, as an example. The road from 1-85 is an excruciating one where nothing you do will have any impact on your toon at level 85. It is called a "grind" for a reason. WoW is not the only culprit here. Most MMOs follow this same broken paradigm.

SWTOR breaks the paradigm and sets a new one.

In SWTOR the "Real" game starts the moment you see the first cut-scene of your character. Starting at level 1 the decisions you make FORM your character. Each mission, each answer you chose has an impact. The game starts at level 1 -- not at the level end-cap! People, this is HUGE! It is genre-setting! It blows away the current MMO paraqdigm of grinding to end-cap levels.

This is why SWTOR succeeds. It is ground breaking in its approach. It amazingly combines the single player aspect with the MMO one. Dont let the complainers fool you either. There is an absolute TON of group content in this game. Yes -- It is an MMO in every aspect of the word EXCEPT it breaks the grind.

Your SWTOR life begins at level 1.

Chokis
12.28.2011 , 05:05 PM | #2
Precisely why I love this game so much.
You'll take my life but I'll take yours too
You'll fire your musket but I'll run you through
So when you're waiting for the next attack
You'd better stand there's no turning back

KetMalice
12.28.2011 , 05:06 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Klarick View Post
Those that are new to MMO's may not fully appreciate this topics title. Let me explain. In most MMO's the "Real" game does not start until you reach the highest level and begin running the "so-called end-game content". Take the king of MMOS, WoW, as an example. The road from 1-85 is an excruciating one where nothing you do will have any impact on your toon at level 85. It is called a "grind" for a reason. WoW is not the only culprit here. Most MMOs follow this same broken paradigm.

In SWTOR the "Real" game starts the moment you see the first cut-scene of your character. Starting at level 1 the decisions you make FORM your character. Each mission, each answer you chose has an impact. The game starts at level 1 -- not at the level end-cap! People, this is HUGE! It is genre-setting! It blows away the current MMO paraqdigm of grinding to end-cap levels.

This is why SWTOR succeeds. It is ground breaking in its approach. It amazingly combines the single player aspect with the MMO one. Dont let the complainers fool you either. There is an absolute TON of group content in this game. Yes -- It is an MMO in every aspect of the word EXCEPT it breaks the grind.

No, 3 hours of cut scenes about go collect 10 X on each planet gets old very quickly.

Syas
12.28.2011 , 05:08 PM | #4

Amen.
Thall | Combat Medic ||| Kannus | Kinetic Shadow
Dars'yl | Immortal Juggernaut ||| Sudor | Concealment Operative
Ebon Hawke

Theodwulf
12.28.2011 , 05:09 PM | #5
What happens when you hit level cap? That is the difference between a single player game and a MMO. End game IS the game in an MMO, everything else is prologue.

Klarick
12.28.2011 , 05:10 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by KetMalice View Post
No, 3 hours of cut scenes about go collect 10 X on each planet gets old very quickly.
All I can say is that you and I are obviously playing a different game. In my SWTOR the missions are incredibly well written and voice-acted. WHat BW has done here is nothing short of spectacular.

Theodwulf
12.28.2011 , 05:12 PM | #7
All I can say is that you and I are obviously playing a different game. In my SWTOR the missions are incredibly well written and voice-acted. WHat BW has done here is nothing short of spectacular.
WOW ,you must set the bar awefully low for "spectacular".

VanorDM
12.28.2011 , 05:15 PM | #8
I agree with the basic idea you have here, that the game is a fun ride from 1st to 50th. But SWTOR is not the first game to do this.

In fact CoH is the same way, and that was released before WoW was, by 6 months. CO also is much more about the ride then the destination.

So yes, SWTOR does it right IMO because there's a point in playing from 1st to 50, and it's not just there to make you waste time until end game. But it's also not something new that's never been done before.

PerpetualGamer
12.28.2011 , 05:16 PM | #9
I absolutely love the story and cut scenes... Pause for Effect... For Class Quests, and maybe some of the planet wide side quests. Everything else is tripe, garbage written to hold up te promise of a fully voiced MMO. They would lose NO Fans, or awesomeness by making side quests, EXACTLY like WoW. and Class Quests fully VO and Cutscenes. I dont want 5 minutes of dialogue to explain why I need to get 5 bombs and put them on 5 corpses. I dont give a flying ****, however you better damn believe I care why tarro blood wont just **** off!

I'm looking right at you Tarro, you smug piece of crap.

Klarick
12.28.2011 , 05:17 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Theodwulf View Post
What happens when you hit level cap? That is the difference between a single player game and a MMO. End game IS the game in an MMO, everything else is prologue.
So, WoWs end-game has been going on for the last 8 years?
WoW's raids, where less than 6% of the player base (Blizzards numbers -- not mine) ever see it, is end game?
Changing your toons play-style with every patch is end-game?

The only "true" end-game that any game can have is PvP. I will let you figure that statement out, as it would take a bit to explain it fully.

Your statement of End-Game IS the game is why MMOs of today fail. This paradigm was created by Blizzard, who because of their paradigm now has to spend months upon months and spend a huge budget in creating so called end-game content every two months. After all that time and money they sit back and watch their "end-game" players burn through it in 2 weeks then head to the forum and scream for more.

You have missed the point of the topic dear Sir. This Paradigm NEEDS to be broken or we will all be stuck playing WoW forever. BW took a chance with SWTOR. They have decided to attack that paradigm.

I for one believe they succeeded.