Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Swoop Rally PTS Feedback

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

DanielSteed
05.08.2020 , 05:30 PM | #1 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hello everyone!

The All Worlds Ultimate Swoop Rally is now on PTS. This is our new recurring in-game event and it will function like other events, such as Pirate Incursion or Rakghoul Resurgence. Like with the other events, the starting Mission can be found on the Fleet. From there, players will be directed to Dantooine and can then branch out to Tatooine and Onderon as well. With this first iteration, here is the feedback that the team is looking for:

• Were the Missions fun?
  • Were the Missions the right length (not too long, not too short)?
  • Were the objectives for each Mission clear?
  • Which gang's Missions did you like the most? The least?
  • Did each gang's objectives make the course feel a little different?
  • Were you able to easily stay on the course?
  • Did you understand the bike abilities?
  • Did the speed of the bike feel good?
  • What did you enjoy the most? What did you dislike?

There are a few known issues that the team is currently working on fixing:

• The intro conversation for the Swoop event has not been completed. There are no (working) cinematics, and it will be easy to get stuck in a loop in the conversation because scripting has not been done. There is definitely a path through the conversation, but if people are getting caught in a loop, they should try different dialogue options.
  • The rewards vendor for the event is not ready. Items on them are non-functional, and the list of rewards they will eventually offer is incomplete.
  • There are no achievements for the swoop event currently.

Let us know your thoughts!

Daniel Steed | Community Coordinator
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

DarkLordSnake
05.08.2020 , 06:38 PM | #2
That's some real awesome news and such but uh... how are we suppose to actually try it out when the PTS keeps kicking me off every time it goes into the Swtor loading screen?
For New Fresh characters, be sure to follow the link below for some awesome goodies!
http://www.swtor.com/r/dXDy78

ProbablyNotGabe
05.08.2020 , 06:42 PM | #3
Lot of potential, could definitely use some tweaks.

-Length was pretty good, although I wouldn't complain if races were a bit shorter

-All bikes should be faster

-The sandstorm mechanic isn't fun

-I feel like traps should be a bit more of an issue, maybe running into them too much can destroy the bike

-Tatooine & Dantooine were pretty straightforwards, Onderon wasn't

-Horizon's Razor is definitely the most enjoyable, although this is probably because the other gangs felt a bit slow to me

-A little more "danger" would be great, maybe running into traps too often will destroy your bike, or maybe make the screamer's flair ability make it temporarily harder to control your bike

Nick_J_Herrmann
05.08.2020 , 09:59 PM | #4
Were the Missions fun?
Oh... my... gosh, BioWare. I've played and RPed in this game consistently since about the time Rise of the Hutt Cartel came out and I have to say, this is some of the most fun I've had playing this game for the last six years or so.

Were the Missions the right length (not too long, not too short)?
Yes. Long enough for me to enjoy and short enough I didn't get worn out.

Were the objectives for each Mission clear?
On the Blatant Beks missions, the objects I was supposed to throw bombs at were clearly displayed, but I found them to be indistinguishable from the fireworks stands. Instead of red arrows above all objectives, perhaps the fireworks stands could have green arrows or a green circle around them or just something to denote them as being part of a separate objective.

Which gang's Missions did you like the most? The least?
I enjoyed the missions for the Horizon's Razor and Pit Screamers gangs more enjoyable because the Blatant Beks swoops have an additional ability that made me feel like I was having to balance too many abilities and objectives at once.

Did each gang's objectives make the course feel a little different?
Yes! Yes! Yes! I came into this event expecting that I was going to be trying to learn each track and what the fastest way to get through the track was but the event is significantly more dynamic than I thought it would be. Three tracks on three planets with three gangs and I didn't run any track the same way for any two gangs on any planet. It's a very engaging system. Brilliant!

Were you able to easily stay on the course?
For the most part, yes. I had a little difficulty at first. The first few time I ran the event I was a bit unsure about the path of the track but the more I played it the easier it got. Even so, it might be nice to be able to more accurately discern the boundaries of the course.

Did you understand the bike abilities?
The difficulty here was, as soon as I hop on the swoop it starts moving, and it took me a couple runs to have time to read the description for each ability so I could get a good sense of what the bike could do before I started the course.

The Blatant Beks ability Throw Explosives doesn't reset quickly enough. Sometimes the piles of... whatever it was I was throwing bombs at, are too close together for the timer to reset.

Did the speed of the bike feel good?
I agree with much of what I've heard from other players on this point. A bit faster speed would be nice.

What did you enjoy the most? What did you dislike?
Wow. I absolutely love how you hop on your swoop at the staging area and then crawl up to the start line. Very nifty. It's very nice to have game content rolled out that's not centered around combat while keeping a profound Star Wars feel to it. I liked how the obstacles on each planet were creatively tailored to that planet's environment (except, does anyone know how to counteract the sandstorm on Tatooine? If there are areas to avoid like the mines on Dantooine and the animal traps on Onderon, I did not see them).

What I disliked was that you can only run the course with an active mission. While I appreciate the need for BioWare to manage the flow of credits, XP, Renown, Reputation items, etc., I'd like to be able to do practice runs that award no benefits just for fun, to play around, and develop better strategies.

Another concern I have concerns having multiple players on the track at once. I think this only happened to me once but both another player and I were running the course for the Blatant Beks and I think one of our threw explosives at an objective, depriving the other player of it. Of course.... perhaps when this event is released to the whole gaming population, maybe that will make it more interesting. I didn't care for it since we are essentially restricted to nine runs a day.

My biggest recommendation would be the add the option of doing "Practice Runs" just for fun, that would grant no rewards. Otherwise you do your nine daily runs and that's it.

As a RPer, and someone who principally plays the game because A) it's Star Wars and B) it's BioWare storytelling, I was hoping we'd see the return of Motta the Hutt. Squeeze him in there, Bioware!

TheDenniR
05.08.2020 , 10:02 PM | #5
So I have to say the basic idea behind the event is very nice, but it is definitely missing the finishing touches.

1. The sandstorm is superfluous and especially difficult for people with less reaction time to avoid
2. The mission goals were understandable to me after the second attempt, but maybe they should be described a little more
3. On Dantooine I got stuck with the bike on some jumps. Especially with the house where you can jump directly down the cliff. I lost valuable time there
4. The skills are pretty clear, but I have to say that you should change that with blowing up the barrels, because otherwise you can get lost very quickly
5. The length of the races is okay and in itself the event is a lot of fun and I am looking forward to it
My referall link: http://www.swtor.com/r/rWPYBf

Boomysilvermoon
05.08.2020 , 10:47 PM | #6
Everything seems straight forward, except for one major flaw (In my bearded opinion.) Speed! It's a swoop bike race, it's a high speed event. Right now my regular mount goes faster, not to mention the speed of the speeder bikes that take you to different locations on the planets map--much faster.

This event has a lot of potential, but what will kill it, is the speed the bikes currently go. Get those swoops bikes out of first gear, and I think you might have an amazing new event. If you don't, people will get bored quickly.

Boomy
YouTube: https://Youtube.com/BoomyNation
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Boomynation
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/Boomynation
Representing the Black Sheep of gaming!

FlameYOL
05.08.2020 , 10:57 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by DanielSteed View Post
  • Were the Missions fun?
The missions were a bit repetitive but its fun, the razors' especially reminds me of swoop racing from KOTOR II. Having to avoid mines and get the power-ups was definitely nostalgic to me. The Beks were fun but I feel like I'm either playing it wrong by trying to be fast as well as blowing things up as for the pit screamers it was fun but other than the new cool animation there isn't much to say on that front.

I think they're well balanced in terms of time, I think my biggest issue right now is I believe the timer for the bonus quests is too low.

[color=#f9d648]
Yes.

The razor's, it felt like KOTOR I and II. I've liked the Beks the least, trying to target the stuff to be blown up while also running at high speeds isn't very intuitive. Though the fireworks ability works well provided you're able to spot it in time.

Yes and no, the course overall feels the same but the way to go about it is more similar in the Razors and in the Screams IMO, though the latter is more of showing off properly while being fast while the former is completely focused on speed. The Beks are an interesting bunch but again I don't think the targeting system is intuitive to be used while also on high speed. Unless we are supposed to slow down when we're about to blow up something.

For the most part yes though Dantooine could be confusing at times. Maybe it is just me but Tatooine and Onderon felt much more linear where as with Dantooine I was sometimes wondering if I was indeed heading into the right direction.

Yes, the tooltip is informative and it didn't took long to figure out what was what. Though if the NPCs could explain it to you beforehand I think it would helpful for new players.

The speed could be higher in my opinion. I'll understand if it can't due to engine limitations but it is swoop racing after all, its not bad as it is but I do wish it was a little bit faster at times.

I've enjoyed there is a variety of tracks and speeders to use, what I least enjoyed was the timers on the bonus missions. Either we get faster swoop bikes or those timers should be raiser. I believe the objectives could also be lowered a bit, at least the Bek's. Due to the speed, it is kind of hard to try and hit those barrels. The fireworks are fine since you only need to press a button but with the barrels you actually have to aim and you might not have time for that while running. Oh yeah, and the sandstorm on Tatooine, I'm not sure if the effects are missing to me but all I get is slowed down without any warning, there should be a way to avoid it or prepare for it... maybe use the speed boost right before it allowing you to travel through normal speed while the storm lasts?

Overall though its solid fun and I'm glad SWTOR is finally adding these types of mini-games, a shame it'll only be an event and not permanent 24/7 but oh well. I guess those tracks would be troublesome during the Nova Blades invasion of Dantooine.
A man can have anything...If he's willing to sacrifice everything

BenKatarn
05.09.2020 , 03:42 AM | #8
Echoing what others said, I find that the bikes themselves could be a bit faster. I initially also had some trouble distinguishing what I was supposed to throw grenades at and what to avoid.

Biggest gripe I have with this so far is, why isn't this instanced? Jury-rigging a track onto Dantooine's already small surface seems so cheap and it certainly puts a tight squeeze on what you can actually design as a track. Likewise, some people already experiences collision on the track with other players. Seems like a bad idea to allow for multiple people on the same track, "fighting" for objectives, hence why there should be an instanced track.

Also, one thing have I have already criticized with several other "alternate modes of transportation", like Walkers in KOTET and Iokath, the mouse droids in Dantooine etc, is there is no means of strafing. Directional inputs on Q and E don't work.
- = = The Atrias Legacy = = -

MagSul
05.09.2020 , 04:58 AM | #9
Were the Missions fun?
Absolutely! They offered up some game-play of a different variety and I'm really glad that they were across three planets.

Were the Missions the right length (not too long, not too short)?
I thought they were actually a decent length!

Were the objectives for each Mission clear?
The objective that wasn't immediately obvious for me was the lighting the flares near the stands. I didn't notice the small stands of NPCs scattered throughout the course on the first two runs! I put that down to my own lack of observation though.

Which gang's Missions did you like the most? The least?
The Horizon Razors were my absolute favourite. It felt speedy and like I was really racing. The Blantent Beks (loved that name, by the way) were still fun, but I felt could benefit from a slightly quicker base speed. The Pit Screamers were good! One or two mishaps where I didn't launch off of a ramp as intended, but I enjoyed it. That bike felt particularly slow, even when I successfully avoided obstacles, but that may be because it's the first one I tried and I didn't immediately realise it was more of an obstacle course.

Did each gang's objectives make the course feel a little different?
Yes, a lot more than I thought they would! The different bikes were a nice touch, too! Variety is good!

Because I was playing alone, I wasn't sure if my destroying (Blantent Beks) targets prevented other players passing through from doing the same. I just imagined having to re-do that a silly number of times if there had been 5 other people coming through at the same time. But I enjoyed this course.

Were you able to easily stay on the course?
Yep!

Did you understand the bike abilities?
I thought they were all clear. I was just using the flare at the wrong times and it took me 2-3 laps to go "Ohhhhhh, those stands." But other than, fine!

Did the speed of the bike feel good?
The Horizon Razors felt good. I thought the other two could be a touch quicker.

What did you enjoy the most? What did you dislike?
You knocked it out of the park with the Onderon course! I loved it! Really, you did a great job. There's a lot of variety for players and that's much appreciated. It's nice to focus on something that builds on the culture of the world in the game and makes it feel more alive, rather than just fighting more NPCs all of the time.

What I really didn't like was the traps on the Tatooine course. I thought it was a good idea to keep each trap in the theme of the planet you were on, but the dust storms were quite subtle and it took me a moment to even work out what kept stopping me because they blended in so seamlessly with the environment in places. That's the only one I would look at.

After completing the first three races on Dantooine, my initial thought was "I wish that speed boost was about 2 seconds shorter!"

I do hope that you consider adding Manaan in there with Onderon, Tatooine and Dantooine some day.

This is a really fun idea for an event and I'm really glad that you took the time and effort to implement it for us.

SteveTheCynic
05.09.2020 , 05:20 AM | #10
  • Were the Missions fun?
The explosives one on Onderon was a bit frustrating, for the reasons already highlighted, plus one of my own:
* The two types of objective are not clearly distinguished.
* The bomb stands are sometimes *way* too close together.
* It would be nice if the bomb toss was automatically aimed to reduce the concentration workload.

Apart from that, good fun.
Definitely Goldilocksed it, just right.
I probably should have *read* them on the starting line, but yes, apart from:
* The bomb stands and firework stands are less different than they should be.
For sheer speed, the Horizon's Razor missions are the best, and the Beks were let down by the various problems noted above.
For sure.
No problems there, even with occasional Transatlantic sync glitches. Having the display running at 120fps helped a *lot*.
No problem there.
A bit slower than they really should be. The "normal" (non-turbo) speed doesn't feel any faster than a regular speeder (which is below 40mph).
Liked:
  • The races (all of them, but especially the Horizon's Razor ones) perfectly captured the essence of Mario Kart, thankfully without any Blue Shells. Total thumbs up for that.
  • The sense of speed in Turbo mode. Pity they aren't faster in normal mode.
  • As already noted by others, the slow advance to the starting line was a nice touch.
Disliked:
  • The "jump to mission location" quick travel buttons for the different missions on the same planet are on a shared cooldown, which obstructs (partially) the idea of running a full set of Razor dailies then a full set of Bek dailies then a full set of Screamer dailies. Running them that way helps simplify the brain-strain that comes from switching styles a lot. Minor niggle, but a niggle nonetheless.
  • The Onderon course feels excessively intricate, and the tunnel section is dark enough to make the spear traps hard to see. (Also: can you aggro the red-name mobs in the canyon near the beginning? I managed to not do it, but I don't know whether that was luckskill in operation or that we are incapable of doing so.)
  • The Tatooine sandstorm traps are problematic because the hit-box is unclear and the visual is too much like "ambient chatter", the sort of thing that you'd expect to see anyway. Both the other trap types are relatively easy to see (except in the Onderon tunnel) with fairly obvious hit-boxes. I understand the need for traps on all three, but the Tatooine ones should be clearer.

EDIT: one other thing.
Dislikes:
  • It's too easy to dismount by accident in the Beks runs, because the key "dismount" is next to the key for "trigger fireworks". Please either move the dismount button to the other end of the quickbar, or let me move it myself and, obviously in the second case, have the game remember the changed layout.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
I never had a Fine Mithril Sword of a very powerful glorious invincible hero scout with ruby inlays and platinum engraving in June language